Author Topic: Tried "table shooting"  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Skychief

Tried "table shooting"
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:07:48 AM »
I tried my hand at table shooting over the weekend.  Just got a taste, by myself at the range.

I can see how it could become addictive "chasing spiders"!

I'd love to hear back from others involved in it, especially would like to hear/see what you all prefer for your sighters.

Best regards, Skychief

Offline Don Steele

Re: Tried "table shooting"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
Choice of sighters depends a lot on what sights are on your rifle, and how good ( or bad in my case...) your eyes are.
That said then, I'm going to start the conversation by talking about sights first:
I've found a Lyman 17 globe front sight with post and dot reticle is a good choice for me. In order to improve my rear sight, which is a standard T/C, open blade with a notch...I filled the notch in with JB weld. It was too large for precision shooting. After the JB cured overnight, I used a very small "jeweler's file" to cut the minimum "V" notch that would just hold the dot.
With those sights...my best Sighter target is a chartreuse colored circle on a black background. I added a white piece, about 2" wide across the bottom, just touching the circle. It's all built out of colored poster board which helps get clean holes without tearing around the edges. Everything is held together with glue. I use a smaller chartreuse circle for 30 yd. Table shooting than for 60 yd. Chunk, but everything else remains the same.
With this setup, I'm looking for a sight picture where the dot in the front sight is just nested in the rear notch and evenly superimposed over the chartreuse circle to juuusssttt reveal an even ring of the bright color around the outside of the black dot.
Sorry to be so "wordy"...but my computer is acting up this morning and I can't find a post-able picture.
Hope this helps.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 03:03:05 AM »
Like Don said, sighters are as varied as the shooters who use them. Over the years I have tried, with little success, squares, T's, triangles and orange dots. I've come to the conclusion that the boys who have been shooting round circles inside of a black, or other color, circle knew what they were doing and I am a convert. I use a 2 1/8" white dot inside of a 5 1/2" black circle on either a blue or tan backer. The backer depends on how bright the sun is, blue for shadier days and tan for bright. Front sight is a pin head and rear is a round bottomed parallel notch. When you have a correct sight picture the pinhead is in the bottom of the notch and in the center of the white dot and all you should see is a gray ghost ring around the front pin head. On my open rifle I use the same front sight and a rear peep but use the same sight picture. The game is addictive and has gotten this one eyed old fat man back on the line. Good luck.
Mark
Mark

Offline Skychief

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 03:14:13 PM »
Thanks much Don and Mark.

I'm hoping to get out and play more with it this weekend.  Previous to my trying as described in my original post, I bought an assortment of colored construction paper.  The combinations to be made are mind boggling! ;D

As everyone's eyesight and sight arrangements differ, I'm sure there's a certain sighter that will work best for only me.

I appreciate your kind replies and take them to heart.

Best regards, Skychief

Offline Skychief

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »
Does any consensus exists among the open sight shooters regarding the best sighters?

I'm specifically using a blade or partridge front with a squared rear.

So far in my limited shooting, I've found a 3/4" black square on a bright yellow backer as best for my eyes and sights.

Would surely like to hear any suggestions though.

Best regards, Skychief

Edited to also ask, where can I find information about the "lightweight" class particulars ?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that the NMLRA has a couple of classes in table shooting.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:39:16 PM by Skychief »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »
Skychief,
There are 2 table shooting classes, Hunter and Open. The Hunter class was developed to allow shooters to try the game with "almost" ans production rifle they may have, TC CVA Traditions etc, without having to have a match specific rifle. This is supposed to be every man's game and we wanted to make it as easy to participate as we could.

Hunter class rifles must weigh under 10 pounds with everything on it that will be used during a match. Traditional style locks, open rear sights (aperture front sights may be used with a blade or pin head), provision for a ram rod (rod or thimbles do not have to be present), and sight shader (if desired). Rifles may be either flint or percussion. No cant blocks are allowed.

Open class rifles must weigh under 13 pounds with everything that will be used during a match. Locks do not need to be traditional. Underhammers, mule ears etc are acceptable and a fore arm is not required. You may use a rear peep sight tang or barrel mounted but the front sight follows the hunter class rule. No provision for a ram rod is needed in this class. Rifles may be flint or percussion. No cant blocks are allowed. Shaders are acceptable.

This is a brief, but wordy, synopsis of the equipment. For a more in depth outline of the equipment, rules etc. you should join us at targetxboardhost.com. This sight was set up primarily for table shooting but has evolved into a target shooters sight.

Mark
Mark

Offline Skychief

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:44:09 AM »
Thank you very much Mark.  That helps a lot!

I joined the mentioned site a couple of days ago.  Looks like a good group there too.  Thanks for the invitation.

I shot a good bit today.  In fact, just got done cleaning the last of 3 rifles that I shot, table-shoot style.

Tried a few different sighters, and had my best string with a lime green backer with a black square.  I cut out a square within the black square to allow the lime green to show.  I cut this small inner circle in half with my front blade.   It tightened things up, save a pesky flier in each string >:(!!!

I hated to have to quit.

I hope to make it to an organized shoot sometime.  I think then, the hook will be firmly set! ;D

Thanks again for your kind assistance Sir, Skychief

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 03:01:37 AM »
Skychief,
Where are you located? There are table shoots starting up around the country and we might be able to put you in touch with a local group.
Mark
Mark

Offline Skychief

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 03:40:21 AM »
I'm in Southern Indiana Mark.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 03:41:16 AM »
Near Bloomington

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »
You need to come over to Alan Coon's farm near Rushville. The home of table and chunk shooting as well as some of the most audacious stories you'll ever hear. I'get the date for the next shoot and directions.
Mark
Mark

Offline Skychief

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 11:17:36 PM »
Thanks for the invite Mark.  Had a little trouble reading your last sentence.  Do you know when the next shoot is scheduled?

Best regards, Skychief

Offline bgf

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:06 AM »
Go to Coons, and there's some table shoots at Friendship both during the spring and fall nationals and at a couple of other times.  We have some south of Lexington Kentucky in Wilmore and there's a monthly one at Morehead during the warm months, plus one at prichard WV in July.

It is fun.  I'm still mastering (hah) chunk and am only shooting the occasional table match to support other shoots, but it is a pleasant style of shooting that combines the pace and feel of chunk with some concessions to older shooters in particular. 

If you use the peep sights allowed by open class, you are going to want a round spotter!  Plus, almost all full-time chunk shooters use round spotters even with open sights, though there are a few notable exceptions.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 04:17:41 AM »
Much appreciated bgf!

Best regards, Skychief

Offline okieboy

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 08:06:58 PM »
 I misread the Title, I thought it was "Tired table shooting" for us older shooters.
 I use a black doughnut on a cream background to go with a pinhead front sight.
Okieboy