Author Topic: Percussion Park Rifle  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Feltwad

Percussion Park Rifle
« on: July 03, 2019, 12:30:10 AM »
Just restored a percussion single barrel park rifle  by Benjamin Woodward  a Birmingham Gun maker,The barrel is 30inches long octangle  in 50 Calibre with 1.1/4 twist  the fitted oak case was also restored  with some accessors added This type of  gun was mainly used in the country estates parks for the  control of the large herds of deer  that were common in those days,thus the name park rifle enclosed are images
Feltwad

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:37:39 AM by Feltwad »

Offline Marcruger

Re: Percussion Park Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:23:45 AM »
A twist barrel.  Interesting.  What year was this one made?  1850's?  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:51:05 AM »
Very nice work as usual, Mr G.

The barrel came out lovely. 
V nice stub twist .
Sometimes, making the key to fit the case lock takes as long as doing the case itself!  V nice finish .

I have about run out of my browning solution.  It is now V hard to find some of the ingredients, like tincture of steel and even the Nitric acid is getting V hard to find here in Canada.

Mark,
It wasn't until towards the end of the century that barrels started to turn to drawn tubing or Whitworth fluid steel. Most at this time were stub twist or Damascus.
1840 -50??, but Feltwad will know the date closer.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
A twist barrel.  Interesting.  What year was this one made?  1850's?  God Bless,   Marc
A few years earlier roughly about 1840 in 1842 the name & sons was added The Woodward dynsty reached its peak in the  breech loading period .
Feltwad

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:17:55 PM »
Very nice looking gun and case!

If you wouldn't mind, what are the details of your restoration? Sounds like the barrel was recolored and the case refinished?

Any 'Before' pictures available?

Thanks
John Robbins

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
Very nice looking gun and case!

If you wouldn't mind, what are the details of your restoration? Sounds like the barrel was recolored and the case refinished?

Any 'Before' pictures available?

Thanks
The restoration on this rifle was basically  cosmetic , which involved the removable of years of dirt and grime   but not the patina of the woodwork  the checkering is cleaned but not recut , there is nothing worse than crisp checkering on gun that's is over  200 years old . The lock was strip and clean then lightly oiled , has for the barrel which had in the past received a coat  of black lacquer which was a common procedure in those days  to stop the sun from glinting along the barrel was stripped down to the bare metal and browned .The browning is my own recipe which I have used for the past 71 years , a time of 3 to 4 days for a twist barrel but longer on some  Damascus . When restoring a original always remember that a gun which is over 150 to 200 years old should look its age and not something straight off the shelf  they are antiques and our heritage and must be preserved for those that come after us .
Feltwad

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 06:25:02 AM »
Very well put, Feltwad.

Grand work.

If possible, could you share your recipe?
I ask, as mine nowadays has chemicals no longer available it seems.
If you do not wish to divulge this, I well understand!

All the best,
Richard.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
Thanks Feltwad,
Could you please explain how to clean the dirt and grime off the wood without removing the patina? Did you apply any oil or varnish after removing the dirt?
Also, what did you use to remove the old finish from the metal parts, and did you apply anything afterward to prevent further rusting?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a mostly black British rifle that could using a gentle cleaning.

Any help would be appreciated!
John Robbins

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »
Very well put, Feltwad.

Grand work.

If possible, could you share your recipe?
I ask, as mine nowadays has chemicals no longer available it seems.
If you do not wish to divulge this, I well understand!

All the best,
Richard.

Richard
You will find that to obtain the  chemicals  today  is  bad  , all I can suggest is find a industry who employ top  chemicals lab tecknishon who may be able to make up  the solution or may have similar chemicals
Feltwad

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 09:11:55 PM »
Thanks Feltwad,
Could you please explain how to clean the dirt and grime off the wood without removing the patina? Did you apply any oil or varnish after removing the dirt?
Also, what did you use to remove the old finish from the metal parts, and did you apply anything afterward to prevent further rusting?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a mostly black British rifle that could using a gentle cleaning.

Any help would be appreciated!
All you need is a wax and polish removing solution that will only remove grime old wax , and polish not forgetting old paint and years of sweat , using a fine steel wool soaked in the solution and LIGHTLY rub with the grain and finish when dry with a coat of stock oil or light oil such has teak. For a good oil finish will take months on a new stock but  a few application on a old stock every few days  and finish with a button vanish and polish.
 Your rifle with a black barrel I would leave if still showing plenty of colour , if the barrel is steel  then it would have been done with a solution called Birmingham  Black when leaving the gun works  if it is Damascus with very little brown left   then it should be stripped off and brown but my advice is leave it be .Always remember on any restoration if in any doubt leave it be
Fleltwad

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 10:11:12 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your explanation.
The barrel isn't actually black, just old rust, blackish/brown, same with the lock, etc.
I assume on guns like the one you show, the metal parts, lock, etc, in the time of use/past, have always been kept bright?
John Robbins

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your explanation.
The barrel isn't actually black, just old rust, blackish/brown, same with the lock, etc.
I assume on guns like the one you show, the metal parts, lock, etc, in the time of use/past, have always been kept bright?

Not just so most of these guns which are attic , garage, or barn finds come in a sorry shape most  restorers would only scrap them but I have a different opinion  To explain better I have enclosed some images before and after of a large majority that come my way  to give you some idea what can be achieved .
Feltwad
Before

Before

After
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:10:42 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 11:12:46 PM »
Enclosed are a couple of images of the finished job
Feltwad

Finish

Finish