Author Topic: Load for a Jacob Dubbs .62 smooth rifle  (Read 3053 times)

rfd

Load for a Jacob Dubbs .62 smooth rifle
« on: July 15, 2016, 03:16:25 PM »
... i'd recommend first going the easy way with a .600" ball and a good greased .010" tight yarn cotton patch, then work up to  .018".

actually, if the bore is truly .620", and the ball  is truly .600", a .010" greased cotton patch will slide down the tube quite nicely with just a tad of effort, as it does for me and my chris walker smooth rifle.  plus, do the math -  .600" + .010" + .010" = .620", the bore size (we think).  without any grooves to accept excess gathered patching, ramming home a ball patched with some materials much thicker than .010" could be, er, interesting ......

whence i attempted to patch with quality tight yarn .015" cotton patching it was a chore to get the ball down the barrel's throat let alone into its tummy.  uh uh, loading and shooting shouldn't be a chore, sez me to me.  bench fired accuracy at both 25 and 50 yards for both the .010" and .015" thick patching was the same, for me, with 60-75 grains of swiss 3f.

some local shooter friends have said that their tighter yet .018" patching worked just fine, but i wonder what effort it took to ram down such a configuration and was there any worthwhile added accuracy?  as always, experimentation is required.

not often, but sometimes luck intervenes and i can hit the mark ...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:20:10 PM by rfd »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Load for a Jacob Dubbs .62 smooth rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »
Interesting....and not arguing the point, but I have never had any issues with a .600 RB and .018 to .020 patch in a .620 smooth bore. Loads easy. Do have to use a short starter though.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

Re: Load for a Jacob Dubbs .62 smooth rifle
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »
Interesting....and not arguing the point, but I have never had any issues with a .600 RB and .018 to .020 patch in a .620 smooth bore. Loads easy. Do have to use a short starter though.

Taylor has been loading a non-choked 20 bore, with .608" dead soft lead balls and .021" to .022" denim- no problem - no need to wipe either.  The next ball and patch cleans the last one's fouling. Yes there is compression and NEVER any fouling buildup.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 08:51:48 PM »
The smooth bore Daryl is referring to is my Chambers Penn. fowler.  the bore is .620 (Longhammock barrel).  I cast pure lead balls in a .600 Lyman mold that throws balls at .608"  I use .018" to .022" cotton patch material with either spit or neatfoot oil, and yes, I use a starter, and the 3/8" hickory rod to load.  It loads easily all day long and I get very nice accuracy with this fine piece.

In my .62 cal RIFLE, which has a rifle barrel, I load pure lead balls from a .610" Lyman mold that throws balls at .613".  I use the same patching, but the rifle prefers .022" + patching.  Very nice accuracy, and again, loading is practically effortless.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 04:11:07 AM »
I use the same thickness patches in my choked 20 bore, which has a .615" bore, with a .595" ball. The starter puts them past the choke to the .620" bore, when the load almost by the weight of the rod. The patches are re-usable - no gas cutting, go figure. I am betting on 'some' obturation - same in my .58 rifle with the progressive depth rifling.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V