Author Topic: Bore gauges  (Read 2849 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Bore gauges
« on: July 22, 2016, 06:14:10 PM »
I'm debating picking up a set of bore gauges that will give me better readings than my micrometers, and hence, give me a good idea of what ball sizes I should be using.  Thinking about this:

https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Full-Ball-Small-Precision-Gauge/dp/B00R5E5QBM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41UBU41q6vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=ZDTSJRN9F6KPFS1H7G26

Any thoughts or opinions? 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Bore gauges
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
I'm debating picking up a set of bore gauges that will give me better readings than my micrometers, and hence, give me a good idea of what ball sizes I should be using.  Thinking about this:

https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Full-Ball-Small-Precision-Gauge/dp/B00R5E5QBM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41UBU41q6vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=ZDTSJRN9F6KPFS1H7G26

These will measure slots as well as hole diameters up to 1/2".
The must be READ with a micrometer.They will capture a width
or a diameter but that is all,they will NOT tell you anything unless
used with a micrometer.

Bob Roller

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:55:07 PM »
If you're just trying to determine ball size for a given bore, you don't need them IMO

Offline bones92

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
Thanks, gents.  I was wondering about how they are used.

What would be ideal would be something like what jewelers use to measure a ring's size, a conical shape with diameter gradations indicated on it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »
Thanks, gents.  I was wondering about how they are used.

What would be ideal would be something like what jewelers use to measure a ring's size, a conical shape with diameter gradations indicated on it.
That is a tapered gauge and a funneled muzzle will skew the readings.A complete set of drill bits can be used
 as gauges but if you don't have one then???????? Is this a new barrel or an antique?

Bob Roller

Offline bones92

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 07:14:01 PM »
Bob, it's for general usage, with no particular rifle in mind.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »

Calipers or mic on a slugged up and pulled projectile is the best way of measuring bores and groove diameter.

Here in North-central BC- we use a ball that is .005" smaller than the bore along with a .020" to .030" patch.  Ball choice is pretty simple - .005" smaller than the bore- for rifles. and .020" to 030" smaller for smoothbores.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 06:31:35 PM »

I use the Starrett full ball small hole gauges (The Starrett 829 Small Hole Gage Set includes full-ball gages) for many operations around here. I am not a big fan of the "half ball" style as you have to be exactly parrellel to the bore to get a correct reading but with the full ball style you can be off some and still get a accurate reading. Remember these are for small holes up to 1/2". The Starrett set is not cheap and if you would only be using them once in a while then it is cost prohibitive (unless you are rich).  Use the shank of a drill inserted into the muzzle then use the Mike to measure the shank. If there is "slop" between the bore and drill shang then wrap some paper or tape then make your measurement -- you are not making a journal to bearing fit here.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »
I didn't look at your link, but the bore gauges we used at the machine shop, while not expensive gauges, all had their sizes clearly etched onto them. 

IOW you didn't need any other measuring device to read them.  I'd recommend a set like that.

Of course you should have these other devices if you're going to measure patches and balls...
Hold to the Wind