Author Topic: Non grease patching lubes for hunting???  (Read 13808 times)

Offline Skychief

Non grease patching lubes for hunting???
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:34:57 PM »
Howdy boys!

Getting ready for squirrel hunting here and have a question.

My rifle shoots real well with wet patches.  Water/Ballistol for example.  It doesn't shoot as tightly with grease based lubes.

Do any of you get away with a slippery patch for hunting?

I'm specifically wondering about the above mentioned water/Ballistol patches (wet, not prepped like the Dutch Schoultz method), or possibly an olive oil patch.

Just trying to keep tiny groups possible without contaminating my powder between shots (anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours apart).

I'm asking as I need to re zero the rifle due to replacing its front sight to a thicker one (getting old is no fun!).

If the consensus is to never use a "wet" patch in the squirrel woods, I'll be grabbing my grease lubes, file and brass punch.  If you all think I might get away with the wet lubes, I'll grab said file and brass punch with my favorite target lube concoctions and get to work.

Thank you for your thoughts ans experiences, Skychief

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Non grease patching lubes for hunting???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:14:20 PM »
Hears a suggestion --- how about one of those "Veggie" wads on top of the powder before you use your "wet patch" it would slow down the migration of the "wet patch" to the powder -- just a thought ???.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »
Try wetting a patch and starting it, then pulling it before cutting at the muzzle.  You will see that the part that touches the powder isn't wet enough to matter. 
Brice Stultz

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
I use a "grease" type lube for hunting because the load might be left in the barrel for a couple of weeks.  [ or longer ]     If you're talking about shooting within a few hours, I wouldn't worry about the lube you're using now. Adding a wad, opened my group up, so I gave it up.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »
My .32 needed another 5 gr. of powder to shoot with the same accuracy when I went from water-based lube to a grease or oil.
The .40 and .45 needed 10gr. more powder to shoot the same.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Sky chief you might try using coconut oil I've used it now for a couple of years and it's as good as anything I've ever tried. And if small groups are what you're after it's just the ticket

Offline Skychief

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 02:58:49 AM »
Long story shorter, I found and tried some forgotten mutton tallow that a friend made for me.

I found that by lightly lubing my patching, it shot real well with 30 grains of 3f.

Satisfied with the accuracy, I drifted and filed my new front sight.  I'm ready for squirrel season to open now.  Thanks for l the replies!

Best regards,Skychief

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
I'm also going to suggest Coconut Oil as one option to try. It's pretty cheap, and available at most grocery stores in the cooking oil section. Get a small jar and give it a try.
Another option I've played with is 100 % Neatsfoot oil. It's a little harder to find and you might have to buy more than you want to get the real stuff. Don't buy any of the "compounds"...look for 100 % .
Both of these shoot to essentially the same p.o.i. as my wet patches out to 50 yds.
They may hold up farther...I just haven't tried'em.
If you use any of the oils..( Olive oil is reported by others to be a good one also) the trick to them is to get enough, CONSISTENTLY on your patch without creating a big mess.
Trial and error will get you there, and what the heck...it's a good "excuse" to shoot more..!!
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline hudson

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 04:51:02 PM »
Another vote for coconut oil. As far as accuracy is concerned you can over do it with this stuff. As with all of the component's of the load you need to work with it. I have not had a problem in many years of squirrel and dear hunting with coconut oil lube.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:26:21 PM »
How many shots can you make before having to wipe the bore, using coconut oil?
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
I do the same thing bob in the woods mentioned; load with a grease patch because I've had rifles stay loaded for months.  A few hours with a liquid lube won't hurt anything; for me that means "Hoppes".
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
I've left my big girl loaded with Neetsfoot oil for 3 months, then hit centre when finally getting around to dumping the load.  Once must test accuracy if switching from water based, to oils and/or grease. Many guns do not shoot the same when any change is made, ball, patch, powder or lube.
Daryl

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 04:11:57 AM »
How many shots can you make before having to wipe the bore, using coconut oil?
you can kill 5 squirrels without wiping the barrel and then cook the squirrels in the remainder of the coconut oil.. Kurt you can't do that with neat's-foot oil

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 04:29:14 AM »
Another vote for coconut oil. As far as accuracy is concerned you can over do it with this stuff. As with all of the component's of the load you need to work with it. I have not had a problem in many years of squirrel and dear hunting with coconut oil lube.
Hudson  I have to agree coconut oil works so good its hard to believe.I dont find it as messy as neats foot oil and i have used it and liked it but i dont like the fact that your handling dead animal part s,course i realize its been rendered down .I cut at the muzzle out in the woods or just plinkin and I dont like it all over my hands where as the coconut oil is good for them,after all you can eat it or cook with it too.I have no plans of switchin to
anything else until what i have runs out which is not likley ,my wife buys 5 gallons at a time.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 04:43:48 AM »
...think I'll give coconut oil a go.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:48 AM »
...think I'll give coconut oil a go.
I thought you or Daryl said it wouldnt work in Canada

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 07:30:38 PM »
Don't recall that - however I have noted that Olive Oil didn't work for me as a patch lube or mixed with beeswax as a BP bullet lube.

I just might try coconut oil, as Taylor says.
Daryl

HAWKEN

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
Chief,  Try bacon fryings for a patch lube.  It might not help your scores but it would surely drive anyone close to you crazy trying to figure out who had the bacon sandwiches, LMAO.......robin   ;) 

Offline Skychief

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »
I hear ya Robin!!! ;D

Best regards, Skychief

Offline hudson

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 07:49:09 AM »
Concerning number of shots before cleaning using coconut oil lube . In practice I rarely wipe, have shot 20 shot silhouette matches with out wiping.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 09:49:53 PM »
Interesting.  Looks like I might try coconut oil as well.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 11:02:07 PM »
I've seen clear coconut oil and the kind that is white some what thick or semi solid - which one are you using?

Offline EC121

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 03:07:25 AM »
Coconut oil will solidify and turn white at about 76deg.  It is a clear liquid above that.
Brice Stultz

Offline satwel

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 01:23:21 AM »
I've had good results using jojoba oil as a patch lube. It's extracted from the nut of the jojoba bush and contains a natural occurring wax. I first read about it in the back of the Dixie Gun Works catalog. They claim jojoba oil has similar properties as whale oil.