Author Topic: Info Wanted On J P Guyer  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Nit Wit

Info Wanted On J P Guyer
« on: July 24, 2016, 04:01:45 AM »
I picked up an old half stock percussion at the NEPR here in Maine last week. The bore is shot out and I may have it re-bored. Does anyone have any info on Guyer. There is also snake scroll on the top flat.
Thanks
Nit Wit

Offline Mark Tyler

Re: Info Wanted On J P Guyer
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:30 PM »
J. P. Guyer was a gunsmith in Muncy, PA (Lycoming County).

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:24:08 PM »
I'd be interested in that halfstock for my friend who grew up in Muncy if you decide to part with it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
NW

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 03:13:55 AM »
Percussion guns made by James P. Guyer occasionally show up on the market. The few I've seen are rather plain, solidly built workingman's guns. He made both single barrel and also over/under double barrel types. My O/U is  .45 rifle over a .54 rifled barrel. My buddy down in Pennsylvania also has an O/U by Guyer that I remember as a rifle barrel over a rifle barrel.
I believe James Guyer was born in Muncy, Lycoming County, Pa in 1832. In 1850 Guyer was an 18 year old apprentice to William Miller in Danville Borough, Montour County, Pa. By 1860 he had set up his own gun shop back in Lycoming  County. His son, Clinton, patented a breech-loading rifle design.