Author Topic: Contemporary .45 percusion - Russ Hamm lock  (Read 12327 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: Contemporary .45 percusion - Russ Hamm lock
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 01:36:15 AM »
Joel, if I strip this green stain off, I will remove the raised carving and likely reshape the lock mortises.  And maybe straighten the comb a bit.  And maybe....  :o
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
I think you will find that the green coloration will go beyond being just a surface stain. If you remove the finish with a stripper it may take most of the green out, but much of that depends on the density of the wood and how deep the dreaded green  penetrated the wood. Luckily a good spirit based stain in a medium to dark shade will usually completely cover it. This might be a good gun to try the Rustoleum patina on, since the green is most noticeable on end grain which is usually around lock moldings, and cheekpieces.

Hungry Horse

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 01:41:18 AM »
  I have a gun quite similar to yours only difference it is flint.
  Thought I would fix it like you might do. Then a friend said don't leave it alone an just shoot it until you can get a better gun or parts to build one. Took his advice. Left it alone. It's still filet but dang it sure does shoot. Anyway good luck. Oldtravler

Offline bones92

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
I agree, oldtraveler, and this isn't a pressing issue.  But I think it would be a good opportunity to get a bit of experience in this matter, plus allow me to remove the unsightly raised design on the left side of the buttstock.

Offline bones92

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 09:12:43 PM »
Shot the aggregate course with this rifle Sunday.   That high comb does smack my cheekbone somewhat... I do think I'll carefully reshape it someday.