Author Topic: Colerain turkey barrel  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Mauser06

Colerain turkey barrel
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:38:43 AM »
I'm sure some of you have guns with the Colerain Turkey barrel....??   

I've read of honest 40-50 yard patterns with the barrels...

I've played with powder charges, pay loads, wads, buffering etc...

I have an honest 35yd gun...and absolutely that is more than satisfactory...will kill any turkey I hoot at stone cold dead...

But, if I can tighten the pattern and put more hits where it counts that is not a BAD thing...not looking to extend my range....just looking to ensure good clean kills....

Not sure if I'm "missing" something...or if mine shoots as well as any...?

I have shot several different combos at 30 yards that result in patterns similar to this...

That's one of the nicer evenly spaced ones... you get the idea...(referencethat is a 1" sticker)

Just not sure if there is anyway to bring everything in a bit?   

bkb

Re: Colerain turkey barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »
I have a Colerain 38" turkey barrel on a cherry half stock that I have killed turkeys at 45yds.  I like to call them closer, but when they hang up it's good to know the gun will reach them. My load is 80gr. 3f, 1-.125 over powder wad, 2- felt wads, 1 3/8 #6 hardened shot. (I would send pics of gun but I can't seem to get things to work).

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »
Is that a 20 bore? If so that's a helluva load. Jugs are the only way I have seen super tight patterns WAY out there. I believe the colerain barrel is a taper choke. Can't get the wads down with out deformation. Only thing I can think of is felt wads, they are a bit more forgiving. Plated shot will help also...#4's

I would settle around 1 5/8oz if that is a 20 bore and cut back on the powder a bit.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

bkb

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:39:08 PM »
Yea, it's a 20.  I tried different loads and this one is the best that I have gotten, the gun kicks like a mule but the results are outstanding,  pretty close to my 3 1/2 shotgun.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
I have the 44" 20 gauge...

I've actually found my better patterns come from a nitro card over the powder.. essentially a very hard compressed cardboard like material..it's hard almost like wood..then felt wads, shot, overshot cards..

I have no issue getting wads down...takes some finesse but even the card hard nitros go down and they seal to the extent that I have to sent it slowly to let the air out...

I'm happy with the range and patterns...just isn't know if there was anything I can do to tighten the pattern up a  little...

Mine doesn't kick bad at all...and I've sent some heavy payloads and burnt a good bit of powder...the heavier loads get your attention..but it's not bad...

I'm shooting nickel plated #6s.

(That bird was killed with lead #5s before I got the nickel plated stuff and started doing a good bit of patterning).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:11:57 PM by Mauser06 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »
Yea, it's a 20.  I tried different loads and this one is the best that I have gotten, the gun kicks like a mule but the results are outstanding,  pretty close to my 3 1/2 shotgun.
Not your load I was referring to, yours seems very reasonable to maybe a little light for a 20 bore. What ever works!
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 07:30:46 AM »
Mike, I will try lighter some more...but when I went lighter prior it didn't seem to pattern as well...

Not sure if you can decipher my load...100gr of 3f and 110gr of shot.. without my chart I think that's like 1 3/4oz? 

Also worried slightly about penetration and the shot doing its job when it does hit a bird..not sure where I need to keep the powder level..Another reason I went with nickel plated#6 shot..hard and small should aid in penetration....though I know they are lighter than bigger shot so energy is less..catch 22 type thing...wish I could buy nickel plated shot by the pound to test different sizes...

Like I said, I am happy with it...it'll do what I want it to...just didn't know if there is a way to tighten things down...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
Mike, I will try lighter some more...but when I went lighter prior it didn't seem to pattern as well...

Not sure if you can decipher my load...100gr of 3f and 110gr of shot.. without my chart I think that's like 1 3/4oz? 

Also worried slightly about penetration and the shot doing its job when it does hit a bird..not sure where I need to keep the powder level..Another reason I went with nickel plated#6 shot..hard and small should aid in penetration....though I know they are lighter than bigger shot so energy is less..catch 22 type thing...wish I could buy nickel plated shot by the pound to test different sizes...

Like I said, I am happy with it...it'll do what I want it to...just didn't know if there is a way to tighten things down...

If that load works don't change it. Personally I have always worked with jugs, they have always been easy to work up loads for. You can shoot about anything and it will work.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
That's one thing I like about the Colerain.... everything I've tried has shot pretty much similar results....

I haven't shot a jug yet...but might try it whenever i build my own turkey Fowler...