Author Topic: Installing breechplug  (Read 5168 times)

Bob F

Installing breechplug
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:08:38 AM »
One job that I am not up to quite yet is installing a breechplug.  I want it done right without ruining either the barrel or the plug....so...can anyone reccomend a good gunsmith in the NE penn area to do this for me.  I need to get 2 pistol barrels done for my sons (my son and my step-son).  They are each working on a flint pistol for themselves and are really looking foward to the build.  They have spent the past several nights slowly getting hardware filed and polished and are almost at the point of inletting barrels.  If I can't find one locally I will make a trip down to visit my sister, who just happens to live about 10 miles from Dixons.  Last time I visited it cost me $$ because I always come out with more then I planned.

BillD...the smith near Huntsville nursery is no longer there and another in Lehman who a friend used passed away last year.

Thanks..Bob

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Installing breechplug
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:11:35 AM »
Bob,  You might read the discussion on installing a breech plug that was covered in detail a couple of weeks ago on this web site.  It is not really all that hard.  Here is the link.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3707.0  You might reconsider.
DMR

billd

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:52:47 AM »
Bob, 
It's not really hard, maybe a little scary the first time. If the barrel's already tapped all you need is a file, square and patience. A vernier or a depth mic makes it easier but  they're not necessary.

Bill

Offline ehoff

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:32:42 PM »
I agree, its seems to be a something you need a shop full of machinery to do, but you can do it with the tools that billd listed and patience I'd say it took 8 hours to breech my first barrel. I'd add a blue perment marker and treat your self to a new file!

northmn

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
As long as the plug bottoms you are OK.  One little trick to help is to put a thin brass shim in between the plug and the barrel if there is a gap.  Kind of looks decorative.

DP

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:38:45 PM »
As long as the plug bottoms you are OK.  One little trick to help is to put a thin brass shim in between the plug and the barrel if there is a gap.  Kind of looks decorative.

DP

An alternative is to peen the top and sides of the tang, where it meets the barrel, to expand the metal and fill any small gap.

Tangs on breech plugs are usually much thicker than they need to be, so there is sufficient metal to peen, file, and other wise modify the tang.

Bob F

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:03:40 AM »
I think I'll give it a try tomorrow on one of the barrels and see how it goes.  I can always get the second one done if the first doesn't come out the way I want.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 02:00:59 AM »
BobF,
I'm not too far away if you run into trouble Just a few miles north in the Scranton area. Can do it for you but I suggest you give it a try. Just some time invested
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Bob F

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 05:14:14 AM »
OK...well after a start the other night and then getting sidetracked the rest of the weekend, I spent about another 2 hours at it tonight and have come to this.  I can get it to within about the thickness of a piece of cheap copy paper from being totally mated up and aligned with a flat.  If I file anymore I'll end up with the makers mark on one of the top side flats, which I really don't want.  Should I keep going and then live with the mark on top or stop where I am now?

Bob

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:31:31 AM »
if you are bottomed out on the shoulder in the barrel and the gap is just between the barrel flat and the tang then peen the tang a bit and it will be a perfect, you should be able to do it cold just use a clean polished hammer and take it slow
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Bob F

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 05:42:45 AM »
That's what I was thinking but it's nice to hear someone else say it.  I never did it before and it wasn't as difficult as I thought.  Just took about 3  hours of work, not counting time letting the metal cool between filing and in and out testing.

rdillon

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
Congrats BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  your finally on your way.  If you need anything I live 30 miles from Dixons.  Would be glad to help.