Author Topic: Elephant powder  (Read 10887 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Elephant powder
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »
Must take a lot of grinding to reduce an elephant to powder.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:37 AM »
Plus they will not stand still.  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 02:48:22 AM »

Nope.  You just have to feed one the right ingredients. If you were a Rocky & Bullwinkle fan.  Remember the guy bringing up the rear of the circus parade?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 03:33:28 AM »

Nope.  You just have to feed one the right ingredients. If you were a Rocky & Bullwinkle fan.  Remember the guy bringing up the rear of the circus parade?

That stuff looked like the grain size was way too big for my squirrel rifle. Big bore only?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 05:23:21 AM »

That stuff looked like the grain size was way too big for my squirrel rifle. Big bore only?

Yes. Those big bore guns the English hunters used in Africa on Elephants.  The agents of their own doom?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 04:26:50 PM »

Nope.  You just have to feed one the right ingredients. If you were a Rocky & Bullwinkle fan.  Remember the guy bringing up the rear of the circus parade?

Yes. Those big bore guns the English hunters used in Africa on Elephants.  The agents of their own doom?

A great book on muzzleloaders in Africa is, 'A Hunter's Life in South Africa' by R Gordon Cumming. Great stories and a lot of dangerous situations while he hunted South Africa in the 1840's. If you are a fan of the English gunmaker I highly recommend this book. James Purdey, John Dickson, Westley Richards, just to name a few, played prominent rules throughout Africa during the muzzlelaoding period and beyond. All these firms still building guns today, granted for the ultra wealthy, but they are still building guns.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:50:55 PM by crawdad »