Author Topic: Max load and proof load for .36cal  (Read 3479 times)

knifemaker3

Max load and proof load for .36cal
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:11:31 AM »
Hey all, what is the max recommended load for .36 cal round ball and pyrodex?

Also, I want to proof the barrel as it is a new install.  What would be the proof load?

Thanks

Offline Daryl

Re: Max load and proof load for .36cal
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 01:23:28 AM »
Recommend you use 0 Pyrodex. It contains chlorates - technically perchlorates which are still chlorates.  Chlorates are what made old time primer residue corrosive.

Only use black powder only - but if you have to use a phony powder, use T-7.  Start about 30gr. and go up from there. I'd suggest that 2 balls, only the last one loaded with a patch and 50 or 60gr. 3F might be a proof load of sorts. I use a .350" ball in my .36, however I'd much rather use a .355" or .360" ball in that barrel. I use a .020" up to .0235" patch, all giving easy loading. The smaller the ball, the more easily they conform/swage into the bore, with the patch.

What powder charge does the barrel maker suggest as a top or max. load?  I have no idea what a max load would be. I've shot up to 70gr. 3f in a .36- 7/8" bl. with no problems other that there was slightly more fouling that cleaned with the next load pushed down.

A smoothly radiused crown makes loading easier and eliminates any tearing of the patch. A thick patch eliminates burning - burning is caused by powder gas and flame blow by. Eliminate the blow, by using a tighter patch and problems solved.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:26:04 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 02:37:02 AM »
My recommendation is to try to do as Daryl says do.  Many have benefited from doing such. I am one.

Also, I personally will not use Pyrodex.  I ruined one bbl and pitted another with it as a dumb kid.  I now know why/how it happens thanks to metallurgists/chemist/etc residing here at ALR.

I also really enjoy the ability to have any grade of practically any make of BP delivered to my door.  Hope you are similarly located.

Yes there are those who will chime in with how harmless and perfect pyro is, but I prefer to avoid the battle with moisture in the humidity of the Southeastern forests. I'd rather tend to my game before my gun,  than fret over corrosion in progress, plus I forget sometimes.  ;)

just be aware-all I'm sayin.

Recommend you use 0 Pyrodex. It contains chlorates - technically perchlorates which are still chlorates.  Chlorates are what made old time primer residue corrosive.

Only use black powder only - but if you have to use a phony powder, use T-7.  Start about 30gr. and go up from there. I'd suggest that 2 balls, only the last one loaded with a patch and 50 or 60gr. 3F might be a proof load of sorts. I use a .350" ball in my .36, however I'd much rather use a .355" or .360" ball in that barrel. I use a .020" up to .0235" patch, all giving easy loading. The smaller the ball, the more easily they conform/swage into the bore, with the patch.

What powder charge does the barrel maker suggest as a top or max. load?  I have no idea what a max load would be. I've shot up to 70gr. 3f in a .36- 7/8" bl. with no problems other that there was slightly more fouling that cleaned with the next load pushed down.

A smoothly radiused crown makes loading easier and eliminates any tearing of the patch. A thick patch eliminates burning - burning is caused by powder gas and flame blow by. Eliminate the blow, by using a tighter patch and problems solved.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:49:14 AM »
The smaller the ball, the more easily they conform/swage into the bore, with the patch.

What I meant by that, is the smaller the calibre, ie: smaller the ball as in comparing a .36 ball compared to say a .45, .50 or .58, the .36 is easier to load with super tight combinations as it has less lead to squeeze down and thus, makes them easier to load with tight combinations.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:20:22 AM »
Hey all, what is the max recommended load for .36 cal round ball and pyrodex?

Also, I want to proof the barrel as it is a new install.  What would be the proof load?

Thanks

60 grains of REAL black powder would be a good proof load.
No experience with Pdex.

Bob Roller

knifemaker3

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 05:21:31 AM »
OK, guess I should have said that the customer wants pyrodex. I do modern gun work but had a customer wanting a bulged .50 cal cva Hawkins rebarreled to .36.

Sorry to get  your blood pressures up. I'll remember to not ask about pyrodex loads again.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
Many years ago the inventor of Pyrodex was killed in an explosion at the Pyrodex plant.  That has always told me a lot.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 05:12:29 PM »
 I don't think you could put enough black powder, or Pyrocrap, in a 15/16ths X .36cal. To blow it up. I hope your customer is either a weight lifter, or a bench shooter, because that thing is going to be like shooting  crowbar.

Hungry Horse

knifemaker3

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »
I don't think you could put enough black powder, or Pyrocrap, in a 15/16ths X .36cal. To blow it up. I hope your customer is either a weight lifter, or a bench shooter, because that thing is going to be like shooting  crowbar.

Hungry Horse

Yep, I don't like it but that is what he wanted.  Also said to make it as long as I can so I left it at just under 35"  It to me is more of a chunk gun, but this guy probably won't never shoot it anyway.  ::)