Author Topic: Allen Miller flintlock - North Carolina builder  (Read 7567 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Allen Miller flintlock - North Carolina builder
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
Update:

I saw this rifle being carried around at the Raleigh show a few weeks ago.  I got the seller's contact info, and through his patience, I was able to sell another rifle in order to fund this.  I called Allen, who lives fairly close, and I made plans to stop by with the rifle and let him tell me as much as he feels like sharing about his rifle building days.

All the metal furniture is made of German silver, and the barrel is a Douglas XX, 1" x 40".  The lock is a Davis (with the circle-D) mark.  It's a hefty rifle, but not unmanageable.

I think it has a base design along the lines of an eastern Pennsylvania rifle, though Allen admitted on the phone that he often made whatever he felt like making at the time, without any strict adherence to a particular design.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:34:37 PM by bones92 »
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline WKevinD

Re: A. Miller - North Carolina builder
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »
Looks like a Lancaster (Dickert) style to me.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

nosrettap1958

Re: Allen Miller flintlock - North Carolina builder
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
@!*% Bones, that rifle shines and with a Douglas barrel!!!!! 

Classic!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:35:55 PM by crawdad »

Offline bones92

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
Crawdad, it does, indeed.  I'm looking forward to meeting Allen in person and chatting about it.

It's a bit hefty, but really well-built.  She sparks like a firework, too.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:12:49 PM by bones92 »

Offline bones92

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »
I finally had a chance to stop by and visit with Allen Miller.   We had a good chat about building rifles, and he described how he was essentially self-taught when he began building guns in the 70's.  There wasn't a lot in the way of tutorial information back then, it seems.  He's retired now, and hasn't built a rifle in at least 10 years.  However, his mind is sharp and he recalls every detail about building.

I brought my rifle along to show him, now 22 years after he built it.