Author Topic: FLINTS  (Read 9119 times)

Online hortonstn

FLINTS
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:57:58 PM »
i shoot a jim chambers large siler flintlock it seems a lot of the flints you receive are very thick and have a triangler shape.  ive got some that are about 1/4 thick and are flatter, they seem to work in the jaws alot better is there another name for these flat flints or can the larger ones be shaped
somehow?

Offline EC121

Re: FLINTS
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
Do a Google search for Mizzy wheels used in dental crown shaping.  They will cut flint, and the arbors fit a Dremel tool.  There are different grits, etc. to try.  You can also use a greenstone wheel on a speed controlled grinder or a diamond hone.  The greenstone works on a one speed grinder, but the flints will overheat and crack if hurried.  I like the Mizzy wheels.  One wheel will cut 4-5 flints for about $1/wheel.
Brice Stultz

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »
Buying flints on line from what I'll call "bulk" sellers will almost always get you some that are not as well suited to your needs.  I have purchased from ToW as well as ebay sellers and maybe 2 of 5 are too bulky.  So I learned and never purchase that way anymore but have found a local supplier and I get to hand pick and measure each one I want.  Probably cost more but it's worth it.  I got 5 nice ones just this past Saturday.  Paid $2.95 each which is not cheap but each is perfect for my use.  And when I run upon some I get them.

If one is out in the boonies that may not be possible.  I know of having read threads in which recommendation have been offered on a source for high quality uniform and usable flints.  Maybe some will follow. Along with the "knap them yourself" folks.  I'll also look into the Mizzy wheel.

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »
I forgot to add another supplier.  Neolithics.com grinds the odd humped flints for you before they ship them.  This cuts their waste and makes more usable flints for the customer.   A win/win deal.   Other than hand picking your flints this has worked well for me.  They have Texas and English flints.  The Texas tan flints are as good as the English and cost a bit less  They even struck sparks from a too soft frizzen on one of my rifles.  IIRC  Two dozen flints was about $43 with shipping. 
Brice Stultz

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
I can't swear to it but I've heard that TOW will hand pick flints if you order and ask them to.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
Get a diamond bench hone and use a little water for lube and you can reshape them in a few minutes.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
I can't swear to it but I've heard that TOW will hand pick flints if you order and ask them to.

If that's true, it might explain the bag I got from them. If they are "hand picking" for folks who request that service...they're apparently shipping the "humpy" left-overs to folks who don't.
I'll never just blindly order from them again.
My fault I suppose...lesson learned, moving on.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
Track will hand pick...

In the comments describe what you need...

Like Don said, one time I didn't...I assumed they send good usable gun flints. Instead I received pieces of flint lol.   The next time I wrote what I needed for a gun flint something to the effect of having a nice flat and not overly thick. I got beautiful flints that time...

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 01:57:39 PM »
Selectively shipping only top quality merchandise to those who ask and shipping "seconds" to "regular" orders is a rotten business practice no matter if it's flints or socks.  I have always gotten good merchandise from ToW (other than flints) and consider them a quality business.  Once they delivered the wrong product and immediately reshipped the correct one AND did not ask for the incorrect one to be returned.  Too bad it was not a rifle.

rmatt

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »
+1 on Neolithics.com. Have used them several times and I am happy with their flints.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 05:10:33 AM »
I have ordered French flints before.  They were thinner than the typical English flints and worked fine.  Alternately, this is a fine excuse to buy a fowler or trade gun with a larger lock to use those thick flints.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
.....Alternately, this is a fine excuse to buy a fowler or trade gun with a larger lock to use those thick flints.

I LIKE the way you think; sounds very reasonable to me.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 05:44:02 AM »
If I get too many oversize flints in a bulk purchase, I just trade with another shooter at the club, or practice my knapping skills.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 04:45:57 AM »
Went to Neolithics web site.  Looks good and a fair price so I ordered a pkg.  looking forward to trying them out.
Thx
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 03:43:53 AM »
is there another name for these flat flints

To answer the first part of your question the flints with the "hump" are pyramid flints and the flat-topped are platform flints.  The knapper can make them either way.  You have been given several ways to turn a pyramid into a platform.  I am another that likes to personally pick my flints so I get only what I want.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »
Just received a shipment of flints ordered from Neolithics to test for fit and function. All are flat on top and bottom as they are ground. I find there is a large range in thickness from just right to very thick. Some are too thick I think for some locks. Have not tried them in a lock yet but intend to very soon. They look like good spark makers.

Offline EC121

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
The thicker ones get touched up with a Mizzy wheel in my Dremel.  They also get used in two of my large roundfaced locks.
Brice Stultz

Dave Patterson

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
I've been following this thread since it began, and finally got around to checking out Neolithics:  they're now saved to my "favorites"; gonna give 'em a try, with both English and Texas flints.

Thanks for the tip, guys:  I'm shooting a Lyman GPR .50, and the stock Lyman lock gives me the runnin' fits.  I've tried 4-5 different varieties of flints, in several sizes, and at best, it only gives me 5 or 6 sparks - and scatters those all over the landscape.  It often only throws one lonely spark.  Yes:  I do wipe between each and every shot (attempt).

On the upside, it does give me an opportunity to work on any flinching issues... 

Jamie

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
That's surprising, Lyman has a good reputation as a production gun.  I have the trade rifle, and it's been good right from the box.  Have you contacted Lymsn?

I bought black English flints from TOW, the best I 've done so far is just over 40 sparks before changing the fllint.  The worst was a sawn flint that managed 4 or 5 shots not counting misfires, of which there were at least as many.  I had thought I'd use up a selection of odd flints I'd acquired, but I 've tossed most of them now and will stick with something I'm sure of.

Jamie

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
I too am a bit surprised you're having trouble with a Lyman GPR flinter. I've used everything from Arkansas cut flints' Black English flints, Rich Price's Flints, in my .50 GPR and all have sparked good. Get lots of shots from all three mentioned. I would agree, I'd contact Lyman.

I too think I will give Neolithics a try as well. Haven't had any issues with Track of the Wolf, but it's nice to have an alternate supplier.

Anyone know how the French Amber Flints from Track works in the Large Siler and John Bailes locks? I usually just use the Black English in the Bailes.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 12:56:26 AM »
I like Rich's flints - best there was!!!
I like English black & French Amber with a preference to Rich's, then French.  I' new to this- LOL.
Actually not REALLY, I just prefer my cap-lock English gun.  It always goes bang. (If I remember powder first)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:59:07 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 02:05:15 AM »
I like Rich's flints - best there was!!!
I like English black & French Amber with a preference to Rich's, then French.  I' new to this- LOL.
Actually not REALLY, I just prefer my cap-lock English gun.  It always goes bang. (If I remember powder first)

Daryl, I'll have to send Rich a PM. I don't know if he's doing flints again or not? I too really liked the ones I've ordered from him in the past.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »
I'd like to learn a little more about this "Mizzy Wheel".
Upon reading this thread...I headed off to my local Home Depot, which has a pretty good selection of Dremel accessories. Looked over all of the offerings, there was nothing that said "Mizzy Wheel".
Is this a cutting tool, or a grinder..??? When using one to remove the hump from a flint, are you cutting it off, or grinding it down..??
Thanks.

I'm also curious to know more about Neolithic's "Texas" flints if anyone has experience with them.
Thanks again.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

bkb

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
I have always used English flints in my Siler and L&R locks but, the last dozen I ordered I could only use about 5 of them, the rest I couldn't get in the jaws of the lock so, I decided to try some Neolithic's Texas flints and I'm very pleased with them. They spark very well and I have over 30 shots on one flint so far.

Smoketown

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 06:20:50 PM »
I'd like to learn a little more about this "Mizzy Wheel".
Upon reading this thread...I headed off to my local Home Depot, which has a pretty good selection of Dremel accessories. Looked over all of the offerings, there was nothing that said "Mizzy Wheel".
Is this a cutting tool, or a grinder..??? When using one to remove the hump from a flint, are you cutting it off, or grinding it down..??
Thanks.

I'm also curious to know more about Neolithic's "Texas" flints if anyone has experience with them.
Thanks again.

Don,

Your best bet is industrial supply houses ... I've yet to see a big box store that carries everything you could use with a Dremel Tool.

They're like a Craytex wheel but different.   ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mizzy+Wheel&rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS411US491&oq=Mizzy+Wheel&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cheers,
Smoketown