Author Topic: Coconut oil patch lube: Excellent results during today's woods walk  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Maven

The earlier thread about the problems, or rather, mixed results using coconut oil as a patch lube prompted me to try it.  (I read of the negative results after I'd lubed my patches with it ::))  Since I have ~ a pound of it, I decided to try it rather than the liquid lube  (Taylor's blend or 1 Ballistol : 6 water), which can be a bit messy/drippy; not faulting the lubes, just haven't found a proper way to store the wet patches in my pouch; never a performance problem though).  The weather today was hot and very humid and the coconut oil patched RB's went down the bore with nary a hitch.  Although I dry patched the bore after every 5th shot, it was entirely unnecessary to do so. Actually, the gun was no more fouled than when I use liquid lubes.  In short, loading and shooting were a pleasure with coconut oil and I'll certainly give strong consideration to using it again.

For the record, the powder was Diamondback FFg in doses of 50, 60, and 90 gr.  The gun was my Lyman .50cal GPR cap lock in which I used Rem. #11 caps, Lyman home cast .490" RB's (.488" in fact), and .018" pillow ticking patches.  Oh, btw, I came in 2nd in today's shoot, but I assure you that any misses were not the fault of the patch lube.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:06:32 PM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Coconut oil patch lube: Excellent results during today's woods walk
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:51:35 PM »
So you used a solid form of coconut oil??  Please explain about this as I was thinking there was only the liquid.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »
Coconut oil is a solid grease below about 75 degrees, above that its a liquid oil.

Offline Maven

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »
I keep my container of coconut oil in my unheated basement, which is on the cool side, i.e., less than 75 deg. when the AC is on, and considerably cooler during the winter.  Although it was solid, it readily melted when I rubbed it into the patch strips.  That was a trifle messy, but it was fast and effective.
Paul W. Brasky