Author Topic: North Star West closing  (Read 10195 times)

Offline Maven

North Star West closing
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:59 PM »
This is cut and pasted from waksupi on the Cast Boolits forum:

North Star West closing
http://www.northstarwest.com/

Matt is in pretty poor health. It is taking him much longer to get things done in the shop. There are so many orders stacked up, he figured it is only fair to not take orders until we can catch up, and then may resume taking orders next spring.
Hopefully someone will buy the company and keep it going, as it has been a mainstay in muzzleloaders since I started shooting them over forty years ago, and Curly Gostomski was running it.
So saying, I may find my self out of steady work by the end of winter. I'll be taking on orders for custom work building flintlocks, so I would appreciate people spreading the word.

Btw waksupi ('bead worker") is Ric Carter of Somers, MT, an excellent builder whom I highly recommend,.  (He built my Chambers' Isaac Haines.)                         
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Skychief

Re: North Star West closing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:45:25 AM »
I sure hate to hear this for several reasons.  One being that I never pulled the trigger and ordered one of their fine guns.

Hopefully Matt will feel better and things can continue.

Best regards, Skychief

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 05:07:55 AM »
Hope Matt gets to feeling better so he can continue on.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »
I must say that in the old days half the fun of buying a trade gun from Northstar was talking to Curly. I was a dealer for his trade guns for several years. When I first approached Curly about being a dealer, he asked me if I shot a trade gun. I told him yes, and then he asked who made it, and I said I did. He asked where I got the parts. I told him I got most of them from Dixie, and Track of the Wolf, and that most of them were from their close out sales. He asked me what it looked like, and I told him it was a Chiefs grade with a 30" barrel. He asked where I got the barrel, and I told him it was a surplus Belguin shotgun barrel that I filed OTR and filed in the wedding rings. I began to suspect all this questioning was going somewhere, and finally he asked me if it had a Chiefs grade thumb piece, and I had to say no it didn't. That was what he was fishing for. He sold me a sterling silver thumb piece for my trade gun, and was happy that he had something of his on my gun.
 I still have one of his 42" barreled standard grade guns that a customer, and dear friend, left me in his will. It's a great tool to bring up old memories of both of these characters. I'm sorry to hear Northstar may go under.

Hungry Horse

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:42:39 PM »
I great friend left me his Curley gun as well.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:57:27 PM »
 I have one of Curly's chief grade trade guns that has taken deer and turkey's . I just love to shoot it on the woodswalks . I use a .600 ball, 65 grains of 2 F and .015 bear grease patch shoots plum center.

Hessian

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »
I used to own a "Curly" smoothbore. One of the best shooting guns I have ever owned. I sold it to a friend who has since passed on. I thought about asking his wife if she was interested in selling it but I didn't want to dredge up sad memories.
Hessian

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
Hi Hessian,
You may be helping the widow out of a tight spot by buying the gun!
Who knows?
My wife is concerned what to do with my many gun, when I go to greener pastures.
If I could figure a way of sending a few ahead of me, I would.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!