Author Topic: .50 Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle percussion to flintlock conversion?  (Read 10561 times)

RyanShort1

Has anyone here done the conversion?

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: .50 Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle percussion to flintlock conversion?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
Probably not many have done this.  You're just about better off just finding another rifle already made for flintlock.

As a matter of fact, I have a mint, unfired Pedersoli Pennsylvania .50 in flintlock for sale.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

RyanShort1

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:56:10 PM »
Maybe better off, but I already have the rifle and the conversion parts...

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »
As long as the touch hole liner threads in where the drum does and is flush and the new lock lines up well with the new touchhole then go for it. If I'm not mistaken the drum threads for that rifle are of a course type sort of metric type close to a 5/16 x 18 and not the usual 5/16 x 24.

Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
As long as the touch hole liner threads in where the drum does and is flush and the new lock lines up well with the new touchhole then go for it. If I'm not mistaken the drum threads for that rifle are of a course type sort of metric type close to a 5/16 x 18 and not the usual 5/16 x 24.

Bob

I THINK these threads are 8x.75.Check with TOW,Log Cabin,Dixie and whoever else sells these
bits and pieces.

Bob Roller

Offline Longone

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »
I would be interested to see how this works out as I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania cap lock that I would like to convert to flint.

Longone
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:59:19 PM by Longone »

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:23:12 PM »
  I changed my daughters Pedersoli Blue Ridge over to flint in just a few moments, ordered the replacement lock and liner and it can be converted back and forth.  I'm guessing there Kentucky should be the same.

Offline Longone

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:39:24 PM »
Just found this over on the dixie site, got one on the way so we'll see. Looks to be a direct replacement, remove the drum and install the vent liner.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=17142&osCsid=e6a75scmalfah3qkdea4c3cvi3

Longone

Offline bones92

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »
Longone, did you order a vent liner?  I assume they have one that just screws into where the drum would normally go. 

Please keep us posted.  I have a Frontier/Blue Ridge (no fore-end cap) that I might convert to flint if it works out.

Offline Longone

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 11:28:15 PM »
I did, NP0835 vent liner. That's the Dixie #. https://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=qtu9gsrb611tce6o17kd94rj91&keywords=NP0835&x=7&y=7
I actually ordered some English flint for it as well.

Longone
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:31:42 PM by Longone »

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
I did one 4-5 yrs ago ordering all pcs from the main US Pedersoli distributor. There was some minor inletting needed for the flintlock if I remember correctly, but I have zero regrets or complaints. Easy conversion and imo a good fast lock after a little polishing of some internals. Mine is a Pennsalvania Dixie or some odd name,.45, patchbox and nosecap.
Dan

Offline Longone

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 02:44:30 PM »
Well as luck would have it my Penn Dixie is and earlier production and the drum threads are 5/16 x 24 not the later 5/16 x 20 thread. Also the lock screws on my rifle are 8-32 and the newer locks are ? maybe metric. They are a fine thread but not 8-32 or 8-36 that I have taps for.
The good news is that the lock does fit snug in the stock and mates up to the barrel squarely, so I will need to order some new lock screws and a different vent to make it work.

Longone

Offline bones92

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
What year is the rifle?  I have a Frontier in .45 that I may convert.

Perhaps you can order a 5/16 x 24 drum.  Mark it and cut it, then use a hack saw to incise a slot for using a screwdriver to install and remove.

How well does the bottom of the pan line up with the center of the hole in the barrel?  I would think a couple millimeters below center would be ideal.

Offline Longone

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
I'm not sure when the rifle was built, is there any markings that might indicate that?
Dixie does have a 5/16 x 24 vent so that part is easy, (NP0706) I'll be calling them to see if they have lock screws, if not it may require a call to VTI or Flintlocksetc.
I didn't think to check the pan to vent so maybe I should do that.

Just checked it and I would say it is correct.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:21:01 PM by Longone »

Offline bones92

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »
There should be a date code, i.e., two letters in a box (not [PN], which is Pulvo Negro, meaning black powder proofed).

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/IDC/idc.html

Offline Longone

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 06:14:27 PM »
Thanks for the link Bones.  According to that it was made in 1998!!!

I just got off the phone with DGW and all of the locks part # 080S410000 which fit the Pennsylvania have threads other than 8-32. Pedersoli website does list a lock part # 080S434000 which is not in stock at Dixie but is on order.

I do wonder if the difference between the two is the thread for the lock screws, of course that lock sells for $180 VS. the $106 I paid for # 080S410000. Just seems strange that they would have two locks (both flint) for the same model rifle.

Offline bones92

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
I wish DGW carried a flint lock for the Frontier, but I don't see it.  I inquired with VTI to see if they sell a complete flint lock assembly, but I expect they will say that they don't, so my percussion .45 Frontier may remain so.

Offline Longone

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 09:47:53 PM »
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=16373

You may not like to price though,  $190.

My lock issue's are getting closer to being resolved, I went to a hardware store and got some metric cap screws that fit the lock so now all I need is the 5/16 x 24 vent. The LO1105 lock at Dixie is out of stock and my guess is because it is the 8-32 thread version of the LK1105 lock that I ended up with. The good news is that the LK1105 is $80 cheaper.

Longone

Offline bones92

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 10:39:20 PM »
Yeah, $190 is a wee bit steep.

Does VTI have a lock bolt for this model lock?

TOTW has a variety of bolts, as well.  Maybe a trip to the hardware store with your lock in hand is in order... figure out which size fits right.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:45:53 PM by bones92 »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 11:08:09 PM »
A percussion to flint is a pretty straight forward switch; flint to percussion is a little more trouble.  I did a flint to percussion switch on a Pedersoli Super Cub.  I just bought a percussion lock from them - it didn't cost all that much, either - and it was a drop in fit.  The work was getting the drum fitted so that it lined up the nipple with the hammer.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bones92

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »
The other option is to just keep my Pedersoli Penn flintlock... which has been up for sale... and leave the Frontier as it is.  But for some reason, the Frontier model just seems more fitting in rock-lock configuration.

Offline Longone

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 12:41:10 AM »
VTI did not have the vent so the hardware store bolts will get me by until I hear from Pedersoli themselves. I'm hoping that they can give me the part # for the metric screws that will fit the lock. DGW had the vent so that is on the way.