Author Topic: Roy Stroh "Faber"-inspired Rifle  (Read 11137 times)

Offline JW

Roy Stroh "Faber"-inspired Rifle
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:41:51 PM »
I reached out to Roy Stroh a while back to have a Faber-inspired rifle built. He prefers not to build from a kit and I wanted a .54, so I decided not to go with the Chambers Mark Silver kit. I told him I wanted a .54 with a Chambers lock and a wood box that could have been made by the same hand as the Faber rifle. Barrel is a 44-inch .54, C-weight, from Charles Burton and the lock is of course the round-faced Chambers.  I like the carving he came up with much better than the original. The pics don't do it justice. I'll be shooting some groups this weekend and put some wear on the shot pouch I recently made.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Roy Stroh "Faber"-inspired Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »
Nice!. I haven't seen any of Roy's work in a while.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JW

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »
He’s had some setbacks, but he’s working like mad now and said he’s doing some of his best work now. The Maine air and a new shop are getting him cranking.  Mike, I think you wrote once that Roy doesn’t charge enough for his work.  I’ll second that.  I told him that if I get rich, I’m sending him more money since he earned it. This rifle was a long time coming but worth it by far. I was worried my boys would grow up and inherit it from their dead father before I ever got to hunt with it. False alarm. I’m still young.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
Beautiful.   Is that your last name engraved on the lockbolt plate?
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Vulcan

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:24 PM »
Really nice rifle. I had an opportunity to see his work first hand at Dixons this year and his work is outstanding. He's also a $#*! of a nice guy.

Offline JW

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »
Beautiful.   Is that your last name engraved on the lockbolt plate?

That it is. That was totally Roy. I gave him very little direction so he could just do his thing. He took the interpretation (which I share) that Johannes Faber was the name of the owner.

He initially wanted a darker color (he asked about finish and I just told him I don’t prefer blondes, I’d like darker) and it ended up with a redder stain with a darker undercolor.

Offline bones92

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:56:04 PM »
It looks great.  I just realized the barrel is still in the white.  Is that also in deference to a German influence?

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 01:21:30 AM »
Very nice rifle

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 05:44:54 AM »
Sweet rifle...
Roy knows what he is doing and can jump across to different styles and schools and materials with the best of them. Glad he is up and running again.

Offline JW

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »
It looks great.  I just realized the barrel is still in the white.  Is that also in deference to a German influence?

The lock and barrel are polished bright as many English, Dutch, French, German, etc. arms. I’ve wondered how the majority of early rifles in America were finished – my guess is that many were polished bright and many were blued. Browning seems to be absent until closer to the end of the 18th century if I recall. I have a reference somewhere to gunsmiths offering browed barrels as an option and I seem to remember it being closer to the last decade or so in the 18th century. People appreciated bright, shiny things in the period; after all, it’s so hard to achieve bright and shiny with pre-industrial revolution technology.

A lot of folks today are put off by bright and shiny because it’s so easily achieved with stainless steel, chrome, plastic, etc. and it can exude cheap tackiness. As hunters, a lot of us steer clear because glinting metal can scare game. Personally, I haven’t had trouble with bright metal parts when hunting, but that’s because I’m a phenomenal hunter (literary irony alert).

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
Yes indeed, thats a keeper. Congrats to you and the maker too.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
Really like it.  Reminds me of some of Brooks' work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bones92

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 04:48:22 PM »
JW,

This rifle makes me wonder about the barrel on the Allen Miller flintlock I just picked up.  All of the hardware on it is German silver, so having the barrel polished "in the white" might look nice, if the German silver parts were polished up, as well.

Offline Seth

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »
Does anyone have a phone number for Roy Stroh?   I can't seem to contact him with his website.

Seth

Offline Vulcan

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 06:55:41 PM »
Does anyone have a phone number for Roy Stroh?   I can't seem to contact him with his website.

Seth

There's a phone# on his website under "Prices and Contact"

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 02:18:25 AM »
A very nicely done rifle,enjoy it!

Offline elk killer

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 01:49:20 AM »
Very nice
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 01:57:35 AM »
Sharp as a tack. I have always liked Roys work especially run around sue ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning