Author Topic: Another technical question  (Read 10288 times)

Offline Squirrel pizza

Another technical question
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:01:23 AM »
 My question is whether a gap between the ball and powder charge can actually cause the barrel of a muzzleloader to bulge. I was told many years ago by an old gun Guru that it would. Hadn't tought about it much till today at the range, but have always wondered how it could happen. I've always made it a point to make sure the projectile was properly seated. Today I was shooting my .54 muzzle loader, also, and not to annoy the moderators, a percussion Sharps. I mention the Sharps because while loading I remembered Harry's words. Though it's a doesn't load from the muzzle the principles are the same. Only the Sharps has a hollow falling block with a cone to transfer flash from the cap. The load is not compressed, there's a gap between powder and projectile. In a muzzle loader burning powder produces pressure. How can a gap bulge a barrel? Maybe he was yankin' my chains to see if I'd believe him, but he swore, without knowing why, that it would. Can anyone tell me why?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:03:34 AM by Squirrel pizza »

leadslinger62

Re: Another technical question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:49:15 AM »
Yes it can !! Been there done that . Had a .54 GPR  that I short started and it put a nice bulge  right where the Starter would have stopped !! My Uncle would never use a short starter for that very reason. If He would forget to push the Ball home, He claimed it would just pop the Ball out, being at the very end of the Barrel, with no damage to the Barrel! I also make sure my started goes beyond the front sight Dovetail because that is a weak spot in the Barrel and could possibly blow the sight off ?? Awful  lot of pressure that has to go somewhere...

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:08:03 AM »
My question is whether a gap between the ball and powder charge can actually cause the barrel of a muzzleloader to bulge.

YES, and possibly worse.

See the full story here  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6386.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:11:47 AM »
Ok. But why? You say it bulged where your starter stopped. My hypothetical was not seating ball/bullet firmly on powder. For our purposes let's say there is a 1/4" gap between ball and powder. Will the barrel bulge 1/4" in front of or behind the ball? And to got further, as with the Sharps, (57',63') percussion there is air(or a void) between powder and projectile. Why no bulge. Not that I would understand the physics or math equation that would explain it, but there are some pretty smart folks on this sight who might be able to put it in laymens terms that I could grasp. Why wouldn't the pressure follow the path of least resistance and exit at the muzzle?

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 05:20:04 AM »
Dang Ron, I feel your pain! So sorry! I would ask question #2, which would be, when your loading a muzzleloader, how do you forget to ram the ball home. But to tell an embarrassing truth, just yesterday, for the first time in 45 years of muzzleloading, I double loaded my rifle. I knew immediately (by the ramrod) something was wrong. Went home and started pulling balls. And yes. Powder patch ball powder patch ball. Only in reverse. Get talking with other shooters, range goes cold so buddy can hang target. I know how not ramming home can happen. But, tech question still stands.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:26:06 AM »
As shown by other repliers, yes a gap between powder and ball can cause bulging or bursting.  It has to do with internal ballistics and what goes on after ignition.  I read an article once that explained the sequence of events scientifically, but I can't for the life of me find it.  I recall it has to do with pressure fronts and their reflecting from the rear of the unseated ball and the breech face.  If their timing coincides, pressure spikes locally and a failure occurs--or something on that order.  Perhaps Sharps gets away with it by the huge mass of steel around the chamber.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 05:36:40 AM »
L. Akers, I have in mind, by your explanation, a picture similar to sonar or radar beams. By what your saying, beam "A" bounces off rear of ball and hits beam "B" bouncing off breech plug and where they meet, whammo! Burst barrel. Am I with you so far? But why wouldn't it follow path to muzzle where there is much less resistance? Powder burns, increase pressure, ball moves forward, pressure abates. Steel walls of barrel must provide more resistance than the ball. No? Am I missing something?

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 05:57:17 AM »
The powder column doesn't burn all at once.  The pressure wave at the front is reflected from the ball into the burning, expanding gases from the rear.  This more or less multiplies and concentrates the forces right behind the ball.  Someone more familiar with internal ballistics might explain mo' betta!!
Brice Stultz

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:15:37 AM »
Ok EC I'm with you. Powder doesn't burn all at once. Reflects of ball towards breech as Mr. Akers said, pressure increase, ball forward. Ok. What force makes pressure cease going forward and expand outward enough to burst steel instead of continuing forward motion? How could it build that much preassure so fast, when powder burns, not ignites like some materials. How can speed enter equation with something that burns as relatively slow as black powder?

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:31:20 AM »
Just as a thought, and I have nothing to base this on, could the air(gap between ball and powder), act as an obstruction? And maybe when compressed between charge and ball, it's the air itself that expands outward enough to burst the barrel, and not the pressure from powder burning? Ever see an oxy/acetaline rig fall over and knock the valve off? Instant torpedo. But if pressure didn't vent where valve was and offer an escape route, with ignition source, instant bomb. But pressure still vented at path of least resistance.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:39:43 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
I did not read the entire thread but the space needs to be significant. I have read that 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket barrels were proved with 200 gr of musket powder and a Minie spaced 2" from the powder. I suspect this was because of the Minie's  tendency to move. I also doubt that the Ferguson and other early BL arms always had the ball tight on the powder. The Percussion Sharps ALWAYS had an air space the design could not be changed.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:27 AM »
Maybe, but to compair a Springfield, wher the bullet could be loaded by tamping the but stock on the ground, or a Furgeson, that so few examples were ever made or still exist, with the potency of modern black powder is apples and oranges. IMHO. Reading accounts from "the unpleasantries between the states", one finds examples of soldiers loading 10 times but never capping and firing. Others of rifles exploding in their faces. The stress of combat, and the things done, rational or not, can't be used in the same context as a man shooting paper at the range. Maybe part of what made the Springfield- Enfield so good wasn't the gun but the bullet. The mini ball, (yes, a misnomer for Minet, the French inventor) expanded due to the hollow base and took the rifleing. So the lead took the pressure from the expanding powder. Ergo...
Modern steel and manufacturing techniques are a whole different conversation.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:38:02 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Online Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
Should read needs to be significant to cause a problem. But this assumes a ductile barrel material.
Dan

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 07:38:40 AM »
?

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »
  I don't remember where I saw it, but I think it was the folks who make inline BP guns.  They showed what happens if the ball isn't seated on the powder, or if there is a blockage, like mud if the gun is dropped.  In all examples, the barrel peeled like a banana.  They blew up a number of guns to demonstrate the importance of proper loading.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 08:13:37 AM »
My only burst barrel is a tale of supreme stupidity.
  Time line: 1995, Hunting camp, Cuthbert Ga.. New Years Eve. Nasty poker game, adult imbibations, 54321, happy new year. Sounded like WWIII. Not wanting to be left out I grabbed a 12ga. pump. Not wanting to throw lead around I cut open a shell, poured the shot out and fired. Pfft. Nothing. Ok live round, remember, I'm not proud of this but it happened. Boom. Something weird. That didn't seem right. Flashlight. Burst barrel. Again. Why did the steel fail when one would think a thin piece of plastic, like a shotgun wad, would simply get blown out. I  know this cause it was still there in the morning. Why didn't the power of a live round blow out a thin piece of plastic? What would make a modern steel barrel fail but not that plastic? Mind boggling! There were no harmonics between energy waves bouncing from rear of wad to rear of spent casing. But same result.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:16:59 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Online Dphariss

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 08:14:30 AM »
Maybe, but to compair a Springfield, wher the bullet could be loaded by tamping the but stock on the ground, or a Furgeson, that so few examples were ever made or still exist, with the potency of modern black powder is apples and oranges. IMHO. Reading accounts from "the unpleasantries between the states", one finds examples of soldiers loading 10 times but never capping and firing. Others of rifles exploding in their faces. The stress of combat, and the things done, rational or not, can't be used in the same context as a man shooting paper at the range. Maybe part of what made the Springfield- Enfield so good wasn't the gun but the bullet. The mini ball, (yes, a misnomer for Minet, the French inventor) expanded due to the hollow base and took the rifleing. So the lead took the pressure from the expanding powder. Ergo...

By 1860 the powder was "modern" and probably better in some regards than the powder many shooters here use. Now "musket" powder was probably grind wise a little slower than some modern "rifle grind" powders used in firearms today and certainly slower than a "sporting" powder grind like Swiss. I have seen original paper cartridges loaded with a pretty coarse powder. But I have read that is was supposedly more like our FF. But? This still does not negate the problem of a spaced projectile.  The problem arises when the powder gases reach high velocity before encountering the projectile/obstruction.  If the projectile is only a couple of inches from the charge then the chances of damaging anything goes down dramatically.  If its 12 or 25 inches from the charge the gases have time to make more velocity and problems WILL occur.  Bulges or splits or even fragmenting bursting are common.
Back years ago,  more now than when i read of it being done some years before, someone tested a Rifle Musket (long before reproductions) to see how much powder they could shoot before blowing the barrel. They could not blow it. These were skelp welded iron barrels BTW. This is where the fallacy of "its impossible to blow up a gun with BP" came from.
The lead took the pressure? How does this work? Pressure acts in all parts of the barrel behind the projectile. You need to know that the same is true of Maxi-balls or any soft elongated bullet fired from a ML and I have shot .010" + UNDERSIZED bullets from 40-70 brass suppository guns without blowby tearing the paper patch from the bullet. I have shot .457 diameter flat base bullets from a ML with a .456-.457 BORE (not groove) diameter, they shot very well, no gas cutting.  Soft elongated bullets fired with BP expand BEFORE they move and BEFORE any powder gases reach the bullet. The powder charge acts as a wad.
BTW for a long time in England almost all FL rifles made were BREECHLOADERS identical in function to the Ferguson, this design was in use before Ferguson was born.  Nigel George in his "English Guns and Rifles" wondered what it was that Ferguson invented (it was grooves in the breech threads to help cope with fouling and another minor changes or two perhaps). So the argument that only a few being made and thus there is not enough for any data is faulty.
Look it up. George was killed in WW-II and is an acknowledged expert in the field of antique arms in England before the war ended his life.
Do I recommend firing a ML firearm with ANY air space? No. But an inch or two is not going to burst or bulge a barrel made of proper materials. IF one is fired in this manner due to some oversight or mistake. But once past this distance all bets are off.

Dan

Online Dphariss

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
My only burst barrel is a tale of supreme stupidity.
  Time line: 1995, Hunting camp, Cuthbert Ga.. New Years Eve. Nasty poker game, adult imbibations, 54321, happy new year. Sounded like WWIII. Not wanting to be left out I grabbed a 12ga. pump. Not wanting to throw lead around I cut open a shell, poured the shot out and fired. Pfft. Nothing. Ok live round, remember, I'm not proud of this but it happened. Boom. Something weird. That didn't seem right. Flashlight. Burst barrel. Again. Why did the steel fail when one would think a thin piece of plastic, like a shotgun wad, would simply get blown out. I  know this cause it was still there in the morning. Why didn't the power of a live round blow out a thin piece of plastic? What would make a modern steel barrel fail but not that plastic? Mind boggling!

You are really into apples and oranges here when we consider the pistol burn rate grey powder used in modern shotgun shells. But it was a bore obstruction and it was far enough from the breech it seems.  If it was a Remington in a certain serial number range the barrels tended to get brittle and burst in use. With trap loads. Remington was sued over improper steel being used and the injuries incurred.

Dan

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »
Dphariss

Should read needs to be significant to cause a problem. But this assumes a ductile barrel material.
Dan
I'm still pondering what this means. The shotgun thing at hunting camp was an example of supreme stupidity on my part and I really don't need help with that one. It was just my burst barrel story. I'm not looking for an arguement. I seem to remember using IMHO. I'm sure George was a swell guy who knew a lot of cool stuff. Wish I'd had known him.

Offline Molly

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »
The photo reflects a ball maybe 4 inches from the muzzle.  But is not the question about a ball maybe 1 inch away from the charge at the breech?

Online Dphariss

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »
Dphariss

Dan
I'm still pondering what this means. The shotgun thing at hunting camp was an example of supreme stupidity on my part and I really don't need help with that one. It was just my burst barrel story. I'm not looking for an arguement. I seem to remember using IMHO. I'm sure George was a swell guy who knew a lot of cool stuff. Wish I'd had known him.

OK I will stick my head in the Lion's mouth again.
Once the powder gasses reach a high enough velocity the bore obstruction causes a pressure spike at the base of the obstruction. I could point out some observations and reported problems from the brass suppository world concerning pressure waves traveling up and down chambers making multiple rings in barrels etc. But I think I posted it once before.
Cold rolled steels are not ductile. They are, by design brittle to aid in making them "free machining". They tend to break easily. Brittle is not suitable for shock loading such steels tend to shatter, so rather the bulging you may get fragments not unlike those seen from bursting bombs or arty rounds.. Shock loading is a factor gun barrels have to contend with. The reason I mentioned Remington was that they used, for a time, 1140M steel for shotgun barrels.  The problem arises in that this steel, and others similar to it, WORK HARDEN. Shotgun barrels flex every shot. There were incidents where trap shooters (who shoot a lot) had barrels fail due to embrittlement from the flexing and there were some gruesome injuries, gruesome and blown barrels close to the breech are the norm btw. Now if the breech is heavier and the pressure lower there is little issue with work hardening. But shotgun barrels are very thin even at the breech compared to most rifle barrels.
Most of the steel used for ML barrels is brittle as it comes from the mill. Since its brittle it is weak when shocked. I.E a 100000 PSI brittle steel can fail for no reason at FAR lower pressures due their susceptibility to shock and internal pressure. Add to this the inclusions generally present in such steels and lack of care in making them compared to higher quality steels . Such as certified steels in gun barrel, aircraft or nuclear grades. For example I used attend matches where one of the competitors was a welder in the refineries in the Billings area. I asked him if they they used gun barrel quality steel in the piping etc. He said "no, its nuclear". Then he detailed the process for welding the pipes and other parts..... All steels are engineered for the job they do. Be it cheap hardware store grade screws, grade 8 bolts or gun barrels. I find it interesting that the US military has used essentially the same barrel steel, 4150 series, for small arms since before WW-II. They made the right choice and never need to fundamentally change the alloy.

If you read the comments by JC Kelly in the link posted above you will probably learn some things. Jim McLemore also has some valid comments.
What I am trying to get across here, and surely angering some people since I am speaking of brass suppository guns (its where all the data is). Brittle steels are not used for gun barrels in any application except American made MLs with "custom" barrels and a few surviving US factory guns from the 1970s that used "custom maker" barrels until people started getting hurt, Then they claimed they added an xray process to find flaws. But everyone knew, at least those paying attention, they had switched steels. You see certified steels are examined for flaws. Its part of the certification process. The Italian makers, for example, use a European grade barrel steel for their ML barrels.
Steels like 1018 have been used for low pressure smokeless applications and many, many firearms were made with them.
I would also point out that the ML makers and the ML barrel makers have the handloader defense to fall back on since there is no factory ammo for MLs. For example, this "faulty loading defense" 40 +- years ago saved a now major maker of brass suppository guns from a hefty settlement that could have shut them down. That and some creative chemistry that the plaintiff's attorney failed to properly investigate.....
Photobucket and some other sites came back on line so I will invite anyone interested to go to the link below. It would have saved me a lot of typing had it come up earlier..... Read "Barrel Steels - The Tough and Brittle" article if you are interested.

http://s72.photobucket.com/user/DPhariss/library/Barrel%20steel?sort=3&sc=1&multi=1&addtype=local&media=image&page=1

Did I mention the time (circa 1993) I tried to get a "big" maker of custom ML barrels to cut a couple of barrels for me from 1137 GB quality which I had ready access to and he got nasty on the phone for even asking? I got the impression he lacked the knowledge to cut this steel and was not interested in learning.....

Dan

hammer

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 11:21:05 PM »
The reference for barrel bulges and destruction has to be Hatchers Notebook.    A complete chapter of this reference book is devoted to the subject.   While the book is technical data from 30 years of design, testing, development, ballistics and shooting of military firearms from 1917, Hatcher does include an experiment carried out with blackpowder in a muzzleloader.  
The trials were to determine whether a barrel could be bulged by setting the ball ahead of the charge.   Where the ball was not fully seated.   After a number of trials he found no measurable change to the internal or external bore.    
The experiment did not trial a muzzleloader with a ball only part way down the bore.    The mentioned complete chapter does include extensive evidence of such occurrences with contemporary breechloaders and the determination of the cause of the bulge or barrel destruction.     It would be fair to accept that the rationale equally applies to muzzleloaders.

Major-General Julian S Hacker, later Technical Editor of The American Rifleman, started out in 1917 as Officer in Charge, Experimental Section Springfield Armoury and continued his career through both Springfield and Frankford Armouries and Washington.   His book is a true collectors item.   There is nothing to compare.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:23:19 PM by Hammer »

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 03:04:35 AM »
Thank you Hammer. Very helpful. I will try to find a copy.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
This thing about separation between the powder and the projectile shows up in blasting papers around 1900.  Black powder was being replaced by dynamite and other explosives in mining and quarry work.  Du Pont wrote that the tamp in a bore hole should not be run down onto the charge of black powder being used in the blast.  Leaving a gap in the bore hole would increase the effect of the amount of powder being used.  They likened it to a bore obstruction in a shotgun.

In dealing with this subject in ml guns there is no hard and fast rule regarding what is a safe distance in a loading with a gap between charge and projectile.  If you look at the mathematical equation used to calculate peak pressure at the bore obstruction you see a whole host of variables that go into the equation.  So many variables that you cannot predict what the pressure will be or what will happen.  Sometimes wild pressure variations in the firing of large caliber artillery are sometimes seen in military papers.  Some unpublished papers showed some wild pressure spikes with black powder in closed bomb testing.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »
When looking at the issue of bulging a barrel due to short starting a ball, i.e. ball not seated on the powder, we also have to take into account the matter of flintlock or percussion.  The vent in a flintlock firearm is a pressure relief point which can help mitigate the problem.  I have personally witnessed 2 barrels being bulged [ one split ] because of accidentally short starting a ball. Both were percussion rifles.