Author Topic: How low do you wear your hunting pouch?  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Phip

• Starting Member
How low do you wear your hunting pouch?
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
I just got my first hunting pouch anticipating my first muzzleloader deer hunt this fall.  When the strap is adjusted as short as it can go, the top of the closed pouch is about 4" below my hip bone.  This seems a bit long.  When I fully extend my arm my finger tips just touch the very bottom of the inside of the pouch.  If (or when) I have birds tied to the game straps, they'll be hanging below my knee.  I'd like to know how long other hunters prefer to carry their pouches, especially when the hunting will be off trail in rugged mountain country.  Thank you.

Offline bob in the woods

Re: How low do you wear your hunting pouch?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:06:31 PM »
My straps are adjustable because of the seasonal variance in clothing etc, but in general I have the top of the pouch about 5 to 6 inches above my belt. It doesn't swing around a lot , and is still easy to access. I'm hardly aware that it's there most of the time

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:13:53 PM »
I think I read somewhere that it is possible to shorten the strap, with a knife or similar bladed tool. I suggest a length that is comfortable for you. Maybe leave it a little long considering you will probably be wearing some sort of coat as it is usually cooler in the fall than in the summer. The addition of some holes,( to adjust strap longer or shorter) can be accomplished with anything from an awl to a big nail, and may prove usefull. Welcome to muzzleloading. But be careful, it can get addicting!

Offline Phip

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »
My strap is already as short as it goes, and more holes are not an option because the leather flares and widens such that the strap won't go through the buckle any further.  I'm inclined to see if the maker can exchange for a bag with a strap more suited to a guy who is 5'7.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 07:44:51 PM »
I wear mine about where Bob does. I can get into it with out bending my arm out too far and still reach the bottom of the bag where all the small stuff resides. It's not long enough to swing  around which is distracting and catches on brush.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
Phip, if the maker wont exchange bags, and shortening strap is not an option, there are plenty of talented folks here that can help you. Depending on your likes and your wallet, it might be easier to sell the bag that doesnt fit and get one that does. Depending again on the style of bag you like, for a VERY reasonably priced bag that is well made you might look at the bags Jim Kerns makes. "No Kings Leather". If they dont appeal to your taste you are on the right site to find one that does. Good luck and remember, its only money!

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »
The well known contemporary portrait of David Crockett in frontier garb shows the top of the bag (and the horn) just at the top of his belt, and the story goes that Crockett was trying to look 'authentic' for that portrait.  If anything, I'd think wearing the bag and horn even a couple of inches higher would be more practical (less flopping around, less noise)  for going through the woods than wearing it any lower.   I'd suggest shortening the strap, even if you have to put in a temporary stitch or two, and trying it to find just the right length to suit you, and then modifying it as required.

Offline Phip

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »
I'm liking the advice.  Thank you all!

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 08:55:40 PM »
Thats one thing that is never in short supply around here. Of course you still might have a growth spurt, then your problem is solved!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
Being only 5'4" strap length is also critical for me.  For years I wore the bag with the top at belt level but didn't like the way it would swing/flop around.  I've since shortened the straps on my bags to where the bottom is at or near belt level; I can live with this.  If the horn is separate on it's own strap, I prefer it to be against the bag flap.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 10:41:16 PM »
I wear my bag an horn on the right side an like them up high an tight so to speak against my upper ribs. That way there is no movement from either one when I bend over or reach for something. I dont have to get into my bag to reload so its not needed unless I have to do some sort of repair or such to my rifle. The strap is adjustable an is adjusted according to the amount of clothes im hunting in ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline J Henry

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »
  I put  a "D" ring in my strap,I pull it way,under my arm high, up out of my way to travel and if I need something out of it I just pull down on the strap get what I need and then pull it back up out of my way.and it still gets tangled from time to time...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »
I don't use one for hunting. Items go in the pockets of my hunting vest/coat. Don't have that stupid bag flopping all over that way, worn high or low it's always in the way. It's just a man purse anyway..... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »

I like my man purse & horn, I wear them as shown in the photo.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 11:23:53 PM »
You ought to put powder in the barrel too Joe. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »
I only have one bullet, I keep that in the purse for emergency use, I do all my practice with prime only.

Offline EC121

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 03:11:02 AM »
All the animals around New Burnside know of Joe's deadly aim.  They know he won't miss and just lay down and die when they see the pan flash.  No lead needed!! 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:14:05 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline draken

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 04:26:25 AM »
Adjusting according to season and clothing, my "man purse" hangs with the top about even with the crook of my elbow.  My powder horn hangs about two inches above that. 
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 05:41:19 AM »
I don't use one for hunting. Items go in the pockets of my hunting vest/coat. Don't have that stupid bag flopping all over that way, worn high or low it's always in the way. It's just a man purse anyway..... ;D

Boy did you bring back memories Mike. My wife said I had a man purse way back in the early 80s. She has been an ex now for a long time an I still have the man purse. The purse is still useful an as for the wife, well you know ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

bkb

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »
I call my wife's purse her battle bag !  So, I guess my purse is my battle bag !

Offline Buffaload

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 08:14:22 PM »
Man Purse!
I correct you Mr. Brooks.  It's an 18th century man bag!
Now those Socttish boys and those skirts, that's another thing!
 ;D
Ed

Offline Dave R

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 04:39:29 AM »
I shoot right handed and carry my hunting pouch by a strap on my right side and adjust is so the bag just clears the ground when I am sitting!
I have been told many hunters back in the day carried there hunting pouches very high so but not too high so It is easy to get my hand in and high enough so it does not flop when they are being chased by indians.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
My strap is already as short as it goes, and more holes are not an option because the leather flares and widens such that the strap won't go through the buckle any further.  I'm inclined to see if the maker can exchange for a bag with a strap more suited to a guy who is 5'7.

This is simple to solve.  Take a straight edge and extend the lines of the narrow portion of the strap up through a portion of the wide part and cut it.  You can make new holes with various methods,  but you can buy a pliars style leather punch for cheap at hobby and craft stores for a more Pro looking job.

I wear mine as high as possible and still allow easy access into the bag.  That's usually about elbow high or a bit lower.  Just depends on how acrobatic you are.  If you get your horn too high the strap on it can limit the ability to use the horn.

Not sure how that carrying your birds from straps on the bag will work.  Let us know.
Mike Lee

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 01:53:45 AM »
Being truthful - where did that come from? - I admit that more than half the time in the deer woods I carry pre-measured charges.  Even when I do carry my "man purse" I don't always carry a horn unless it is attached to the bag strap; this is in the deer woods.  For squirrels and other critters I do carry horn and bag because there is usually a lot of shots fired compared to deer hunting.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 07:40:33 AM »
As shown for small game, however I load a patched pure lead ball for the first shot when hunting moose.  For backup shots, I carry paper ctgs. loaded with my hunting load and a round capper of leather- no bag and no horn.

A short starter, capper and ctgs. are carried in a pocket of my parka.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V