Author Topic: Gravers  (Read 10262 times)

JB

Gravers
« on: September 01, 2016, 03:51:15 AM »
This week I hope to order this Dvd-- Beginning Engraving on DVD,The Gunsmith's Apprentice Series, by Jack Brooks

I also want to order some Gravers and a handle at the same time.  What sizes do you recommend to started with?   I'm looking at these Carbon steel ones from track of the wolf.. Any suggestions?   I want to learn how to do some basic engraving..

any thoughts?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1034/2

Offline hortonstn

Re: Gravers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 04:22:16 AM »
Order the video first he shows how to make them

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:25:48 AM »
You only need a square graver to start.  With it you can do 99.99% of the engraving on a longrifle.  As you become more proficient you can add other graver shapes.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:47:52 PM »
I would suggest that you order some M42 graver blanks from Steve Lindsay.  They hold an edge almost forever in brass or soft steel.   If you have a lathe,  make an aluminum holder for the bits.   Otherwise,  buy one from Steve Lindsay.    You might also buy his sharpening jig while you are at it.   You will also need a chasing hammer.   

JB

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 01:32:41 AM »
Thanks guys.!!.. I look forward to learning this new skill.

JB

Online T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 03:06:48 AM »
[quote ] If you have a lathe,  make an aluminum holder for the bits.  [/quote]

No lathe required.  Get a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" rod in aluminum, brass, or steel.  Drill a hole in the end and thread a set screw on the side.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:43:05 AM »
To be honest, I went over to Harbor Freight tools and picked up a 5/16th" round file, cut off the handle, and ground it into a square graver.  I then spent a couple hours honing and polishing it.  It is about 4.5" long, and I have been using it to engrave ever since.  I do have some 'real' gravers too that are mounted in wooden mushroom handles, but that cheap Chinese file graver is the one I use for 90% of my work.  Surprisingly, it seems to hold it's edges quite well, and I have yet to have it chip out on me.  I am more satisfied with that graver than any other I have, truth be told.  Granted, it took some work to fabricate, but it has served me well, and when it is too short to use anymore, I will probably make another just like it.

Matt

JB

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 11:51:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm going to order the video tonight..... Then go from there.  I appreciate the input and I hope to be able to get good this.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
Take a look at the things they offer here, anything you can dream about for engraving.
http://www.gesswein.com/c-180-engraving.aspx

JB

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »
ok, I ordered the video.. ...Looking forward to this.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:41 AM »
You only need a square graver to start.  With it you can do 99.99% of the engraving on a longrifle.  As you become more proficient you can add other graver shapes.
What angles do you suggest on a square graver for most work?

Offline 45-110

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Justin
have a look at John Schippers engraving book. He pretty much covers all aspects of getting set up to engrave. It is a fine ref. book.
kw

Offline goodtime7

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »
Do yourself a huge favor and be sure you have a properly shaped and sharpened graver.   It’s a given that it will be an uphill battle if you start without addressing this issue.    I’m just a beginning engraver but if I had to point to one thing that made the biggest difference in the learning curve it was this issue.    Good luck, try to practice a few minutes every day if you can!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
My first gravers were made from a bunch of worn out chainsaw file I got for free from the local saw shop. I had noticed that the square graver shown in one of the books of buckskinning looked like the shank of a round file. So I went out to my shop and made a graver in about a half hour from an old saw file. I still use these gravers, but have since mounted them in hardwood dowel handles with one flat side for better control, and metal caps to prevent damage from the graving hammer. I made one from a file made by Pferd that was hard to sharpen, but has never needed resharpening.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
I had an awful time engraving till I took a class with Acer who provided HSS gravers and showed us how to sharpen them. I engraved a patchbox with a sharp graver and never needed to re sharpen. That never happened with my home made gravers before. E
Andover, Vermont

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Hi Rich,
Even if you think your graver is still sharp from cutting soft metal like brass, sharpen it periodically.  I use the ritual of sharpening as a break from the tension of engraving.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
Tension?  Haha I have low expectations but with time that will change. I might get tensecengraving the nick and dot border on the buttplate. Last night I took a square HSS graver blank and ground and sharpened it as a flat graver. Started practicing borders. A couple more days and I should be good to go.

Will follow your sharpening advice.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:47:05 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Online T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »
Even if you think your graver is still sharp from cutting soft metal like brass, sharpen it periodically.
Another tip:   Brass has a tendency to build up on the face of the graver and will make it drag.  Lube your tip periodically to prevent this and you will also find that the lube makes it cut smoother.  I use a 35mm film can with a cotton ball in it moistened with 3 in 1 oil.  However, any light oil will work.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 12:16:36 AM »
How do you keep the line straight if the curl of metal you cut obscures the tip, so you can't see the layout line?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:35 AM »
One trick so they tell me is to grind the face of the graver with a little more off on one side of the face.
Andover, Vermont

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »
How do you keep the line straight if the curl of metal you cut obscures the tip, so you can't see the layout line?

Hi,
First, don't cut on the guideline.  Cut next to it.  Second, clear the curls periodically and make sure your lighting is shining on the front of the graver.  Finally, think of every 1/2" of line as your total project. Focus on getting each 1/2" perfect.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
Good advice, Dave .
Years ago I found I was cutting next to my line, but was meant to be on it. Found I needed glasses for that stuff.
Next to the line  is a lot easier, but didn't know that then.

Handles I use are antler tips, with point off.  Seems to transfer shock well, but I'm no engraver.  Whatever pattern I lay out, my hands take no notice of my brain and it all turns out the same! 

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
I bought several graver blanks from GRS quite a few years ago, and set them into brass and aluminum 3/8" dia. rod handles.  They are incredible steel they call "Glensteel" and hold their points far longer than the die sinker chisels I bought 38 years ago from Brownell's.  I will add another plug for John Schipper's book on Engraving Historic Firearms.  His teaching method and instruction is easy to follow and understand, and he demonstrates all of the cuts you will want for doing longrifles, and then some.  The book is chocked full of photographs of his work which I find inspiring and helpful.  Here is a butt plate I just finished shamelessly copying one from his book.  If I were to engrave more than once a year, I think I could get the hang of it.  But if you look at this quickly, through a piece of carbon paper or a welder's helmet, it looks fine.  Buy the book and be enlightened.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
Taylor it looks great to me and I have my bifocals on it..LP

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 09:12:40 PM »
Everything Taylor does looks good. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.