Author Topic: Swiss 1851 rifle reproduction  (Read 3955 times)

Offline maudite

• Starting Member
Swiss 1851 rifle reproduction
« on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:30 PM »

Picked this up recently a swiss 1851 rifle reproduction made by the german firm Vollmer.Made in the 70s about 1250 made.Fires a cross patch minie type bullet 41 cal
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:45:23 PM by maudite »

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: Swiss 1851 rifle reproduction
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »
Very nice.  The Swiss have a long history of accurate long guns.  I have a smattering of Schmidt-Rubin rifles, but I'd love to have a Swiss muzzleloader.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
 A friend bought an original Swiss rifle like this one, at a gun show. When he brought it over for me to take a look at, the first thing I noticed was its barrel was bored quite off center. I warned the new owner that it probably wouldn't be a shooter. We took it to the range a week later, and to my surprise it shot a pretty tight group right in the ten ring. He took it to Modoc County for a buck hunt later, and killed a dandy with it. As it turned out the gun was part of a shipment of random European rifles purchased by the Confederacy, and smuggled through the blockaded southern ports during the latter part of the Civil War.

Hungry horse

Frenchy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 04:11:09 AM »
A friend of mine has one of the originals.  He got the bayonet but not the bullet mold. We did a bunch of research but couldn't locate a source for bullets. We tried several that were close but nothing worked.
Do you know where we can locate some proper bullets?

Offline maudite

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 03:44:46 AM »
My rifle came with a mold from the manufacturer ,I believe there is someone making molds for this gun on the cast bool its forum