Author Topic: Old image with an unidentified rifle  (Read 7845 times)

Offline Frank Graves

Old image with an unidentified rifle
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »
I recently found this daguerreotype of a man with a fine target rifle that I would like to see if anyone has an idea about who might have made it.

This early sixth plate image dates from the late 1840s, to the early 1850s.  At the muzzle end it appears that there is either a rod from out of frame to steady the rifle or it may be a starter and false muzzle.  The close up of the rifle is reversed since daguerreotypes were mirror images to show how it would appear to the eye.  What at first looks like a reflection at the butt between the cheek rest and buttplate is a pierced inlay.

I would appreciate hearing thoughts.  If this rifle is still around it would be an extra bonus.

Thanks for your considerations.

Offline L. Akers

Re: Old image with an unidentified rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest Carlos C. Clark as the maker.  He was active in Vermont and New Hampshire during the period of the photo .  Other photos of known Clark rifles have the same style  triggerguard and general overall style.

I think you are correct that the muzzle of the rifle has the false muzzle attached.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 03:32:23 AM »
Great picture, great rifle...Thanks for posting.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 12:45:43 AM »
That is an absolutely fantastic picture....with the top hat and all...a real classic representation of this era. That cheek rest is somewhat unique.  Alonzo Selden worked in both Vermont and New York....just one possibility amongst many. Wish I could see more of it!

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 08:42:22 PM »
Frank, if all else fails you might contact the Berdan Society, Berdan Sharpshooters as they are a font of into on old target rifles. Good luck! Mike

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »
Frank:
   Perhaps you've already done this, but can it be carefully removed from the case to see if there is a slip of paper with an ID behind the image?
Thanks for posting- it is a great photo.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:41:03 AM by Steve Collward »

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
There is nothing noted when the image is removed from its case.  The only history that came with it was that a picker found it in a storage unit in Nashville, Tennessee.  I wish I knew more.

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone for looking at this and rendering opinions.  I was hoping to get lucky like I did one time earlier this year when I showed a CDV image here to ask for help identifying the double mule ear rifle shown in it.  Not only did reader OLUT respond that it was a H. V. Perry rifle but I also heard from the man who says that owns that exact rifle.  I guess luck wasn’t with me this time.

A knowledgeable friend who collects Southern Rifles noted that there are similarities to some of the rifles of Georgia and Alabama makers such as J. T. Jones, Higgins, and Rogers & Abbey, but southern guns don’t usually have starters and false muzzles - usually.  So who knows who the maker was.   

Thanks again to everyone for thinking about this one.

Frank

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 02:09:05 AM »
Along with maker Carlos Clark of Vermont, it was suggested that Asa Leonard, also of Vermont could be the maker.  I can find no examples either online or in my library, so I would appreciate any guidance as to where I can find examples of either maker for comparison.

Thanks.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »
Hi Frank,  you are surely referring to Vermont maker Artemas Leonard. He did make some beautiful rifles....a shame that he died young but his son George did carry on the tradition. Pictures can be deceiving....but....I believe that the barrel of the rifle in your photo is too long for an Artemas Leonard piece.  I will post a picture of a Leonard in my collection and explain myself when I get a chance this evening.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »
After taking another look at this....you may very well be right concerning Artemas Leonard. My initial response was based upon knowing that you often find shorter barreled rifles where Leonard is concerned and apparently never any over 32 1/2 inches that he actually rifled himself. However, he did occasionally use Remington barrels that were already rifled. Furthermore, the rifle in your picture appears that it may be within that 32 1/2 inch range anyway. There is a Leonard rifle that looks very similar to this in "Vermont's Gunsmiths & Gunmakers to 1900". The photo is poor....but it deserves a closer examination to determine if it may in fact be your rifle! the bottom rifle in the below photo is my Leonard....just for reference....the rifle on top is an 18 pound behemoth.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 08:46:08 PM »
The bottom gun looks like one I made in 1959 but with no cap/patch box.
I think it was a 40 caliber and I know it was a Bill Large barrel.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:34:06 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 12:21:41 AM »
Wow....I do like this picture! Amazingly....there is a very good possibility that this rifle is the same in Terry Tylers book. Interestingly enough....I knew that I had not seen this rifle in person...and when I went back over my photos from his collection...this rifle was not among them. However, in his book it is listed as belonging to him...not sure if he still has it...or if he may have parted with it. Very cool. You may want to try and contact him....I think he is still kicking around Dorset, Vermont.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 01:31:04 AM »
Here is the description on the rifle according to Tyler:
"A heavy target rifle with a .47 caliber octagonal barrel 32 1/2" long by 1 3/8 across the flats, complete with false muzzle and brass bullet starter. This arm is equipped with a double set triggers, lollipop rear sight on the tang and a fully  adjustable hooded front sight with three adjusting screws. The lockplate, hammer, upper tand, top barrel flat are profusely engraved as are the brass buttplate, sideplates, upper and lower (3 piercings) butt plate extensions, inlays and trigger guard. The rifle is marked A. LEONARD, 1849 on the lockplate, also A LEONARD, cast steel, 1849 on the top flat of the breech plug and A. LEONARD, cast steel, S.R., VT midway on the top flat of the barrel surrounded by engraving. Another unique feature of this rifle, which is thought to have been Mr. Leonards own, is its twin cheekpieces on either side of the nicely checkered and polished stock. Lastly this highly ornamented rifle  is marked on the top left barrel flat: Geo. O. LEONARD, KEENE, NH., CAST STEEL, 1867. This would indicate that George re-rifled his fathers own target rifle 18 years after it was made"

If you go back to my first comment....you will note that I mentioned the cheek rest was unique...you don't see that on Vermont made rifles from this era....and Tyler repeats that in the quote above.

Also....I don't know if you caught that....but this was thought to have been Artemas Leonard's own rifle! Not sure if that is him in the picture...he died in 1859....and you won't likely find another of him....but all in all....the possibility is pretty amazing. Please keep me posted with anything else you may find out.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »
Frank....I am going to send you a PM....I spoke to the owner of this rifle today and showed him this image...he said "there is not a shadow of doubt" that they are one in the same.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 05:17:57 AM »
Mr. Graves, I would place this image in the early to mid 1850s. I could be wrong. but the style and fit of the frock is more inline with that time.
Psalms 144