Author Topic: Old Eyes, special glasses perhaps?  (Read 18880 times)

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
Re: Old Eyes, special glasses perhaps?
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »
These are pretty cool.....currently shoot a low tang peep-1/4"brass rod with 1/6 th hole.

Glasses by okawbow, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:20:13 AM by WaterFowl »

ron w

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
if you take note of where that orifice is on the lense, then have a look at any pair of typical reading or bifocal glasses, you will see that where the orifice is, there is very little ocular correction in the lense. this got me thinking when I was shoot archery competitively and have the same problem of not being able to see all three points while shooting. I went to my optometrist with my bow and drew it just as I would be shooting and he marked my lenses right where I was looking through them. he then did some measuring and ordered a pair of single vision (distance correction for my eyesight) lenses with the centers of correction ground where those spots were marked. it made all the difference in the world. in archery, we use a peep in the string at the eye, so the application is fairly similar. after trying those glasses, all points of my sight picture were crystal clear. it may be that all you need to do is have a similar pair of lenses made for an old frame. for the 100 dollar cost of the elenses it was well worth it.

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »
Eric,

I've had good luck just using a light magnification reading glasses.  Not enough power to distort distance, but enough to clear up rear sight.

This is what I do also . I need 2.50 - 2.75 for detail work and use 1.50 for shooting and watching TV . Works well enough for me , never had any real doctor made glasses but am told I need them . I got cataracts they say .

Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »
Yesterday I had the cataract removed from my left eye and a new lens "installed".  The right (dominant) eye was done about three weeks ago.  Now I can see to drive, watch tv and do just fine without glasses.  In fact I can see better now than I could previously; my prescription glasses are now useless. 

What I can't see to do is reading or doing anything up close.  Currently I use a pair of my wife's reading glasses.  They're not the complete answer but they do allow me to read, type and "find" things.  I haven't shot one-hand-guns in years because I have to tilt my head uncomfortably back to see through the bifocals.  A proper pair of reading and also shooting glasses will be acquired as my eyesight stabilizes.  I guess I can live with a few floaters, too.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2017, 10:14:09 PM »
if you take note of where that orifice is on the lense, then have a look at any pair of typical reading or bifocal glasses, you will see that where the orifice is, there is very little ocular correction in the lense. this got me thinking when I was shoot archery competitively and have the same problem of not being able to see all three points while shooting. I went to my optometrist with my bow and drew it just as I would be shooting and he marked my lenses right where I was looking through them. he then did some measuring and ordered a pair of single vision (distance correction for my eyesight) lenses with the centers of correction ground where those spots were marked. it made all the difference in the world. in archery, we use a peep in the string at the eye, so the application is fairly similar. after trying those glasses, all points of my sight picture were crystal clear. it may be that all you need to do is have a similar pair of lenses made for an old frame. for the 100 dollar cost of the elenses it was well worth it.

bold, italics underline sentence - this pertains to progressive lenses, not standard nor bi-foculs.  My first glasses were progressives and were useless for shooting as that spot to look at the sights was totally out of focus- next glasses were standard with long range vision from the outside of the lenses and down to the bifocul reading part - these worked just fine, however wearing .25 or .050 diopter 'readers' instead, gives perfectly in focus sights, with the target slightly blurred. Taylor uses .75 Dipoter and does very well indeed.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:16:02 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ron w

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 04:03:27 AM »
for archery you want a crystal clear in focus target, letting the pin/peep be the fuzzy picture. my shooting glasses were made with my distance prescription only.... the basic "rule", is that your arrow goes where you look, hence the requirement for a clear, sharp target picture.