Author Topic: Got Grandfathers Rifle shooting, shoots way right, help  (Read 7959 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Got Grandfathers Rifle shooting, shoots way right, help
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 03:21:51 AM »

If the muzzle's crown is sharp or has machine tool cut angles, it needs to be smoothed to ease the introduction of a tight combination.  With light loads in that .45- say for example, up to 30gr., you can get away with thinner patches than are needed for heavier loads. The heavier the loads, the higher the pressure and the tighter must be the ball and patch combination to prevent powder gasses from blasting past the patch and burning it.  This destroys accuracy.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

dwr435

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
Looks like it could use a little work at the muzzle, i will give that a try thank you

Offline draken

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 03:34:21 AM »
I've been wondering; did this rifle shoot accurately for grandpa?

The very first rifle I ever built shot way to the left.  Took a while to figure out that the barrel (which I bought with breech plug installed) had bore runout to the left.
 I could not offset the sights enough to compensate for it and I eventually resorted to bending the barrel to get it to shoot. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, HOWEVER, THAT I AM IN NO WAYSUGGESTING THAT YOU DO THAT!
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline jaeren

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 10:25:18 PM »
Put together a TC Hawkin kit 50cal. Shot to the left so bad I couldn't move sights to correct. Complained to TC and they said send it back. They said run-out was problem and they sent another barrel . Problem with it was the run-out was now elevation and I couldn't get it down in the black with a descent load. Removed TC sight and cut dovetail in barrel and changed sight. Shoots great now. I was always told parts kits were made of parts rejected from the line. Didn't believe it till I got the TC kit. Had to work hard to clean up the brass and wood. Its been a good shooter and my first ML and I wouldn't sell it , nor would I buy another.