Author Topic: Grouseland Rifle Auction  (Read 10046 times)

Offline Molly

Grouseland Rifle Auction
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:27:28 AM »
What a piece of work!  I saw this rifle in Lexington.  I think this was maybe one of the most appealing rifles of the current day and it only sold for $11,326.  Personally, the appeal of this rifle was that is was a copy of an original.  The only thing I know which was different was that this rifle was flint and the original, as shown in photos, was a cap lock (maybe flint originally??).  So why was the price so low?  I think several things.  One was that you have to go pick it up in person.  That cut a lot of people out of the field IMO.  Secondly, with no offence to the historical figures in the picture, Col John Small and William Henry Harrison are not quite to the stature of other very prominent figures of early days in our history.  Additionally, I drove through Indiana once.  Great basketball territory!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Grouseland Rifle Auction
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »
$11,326 is getting into some pretty rarefied air for most folks. Times are getting a bit tight. Are there pics somewhere of this gun?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »
Ah, nifty gun. The thing about auctions is they almost always reflect CURRENT retail market value. Always a good indicator of actual value.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:28:27 AM »
Oh, I have no doubt the rifle is worth the price, it's a very nice piece of work. They just get increasingly hard to sell at that price point. Kudos to the builder and the buyer in my opinion.

Offline bones92

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:10 AM »
I asked Marvin (after the auction) why they didn't wait until the American Rifleman article came out on this rifle before listing the auction.  The AR article came out only a month or so after the auction was completed.  I think the American Rifleman article might have helped garner a bit more attention to the listing. 

Either way, Marvin's work is definitely on peoples' radar, so it bodes well for his future endeavors.

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 03:16:25 AM »
Good point but I think the matter was to sell it and deliver it in conjunction with a planned event at the Grousland location and from reading some comments somewhere it looks like a group of locals or Grouseland supporters pooled funds to buy it and keep it.  It is an outstanding work without question.  With an opening bid of, I think, $8,000 makes me wonder if that would be the price one would have to pay for a duplicate?  But then maybe there will be no duplicates.  I hesitate to say this as it might be taken the wrong way but I very seriously was looking to buy this rifle and I had shook enough out of the piggy to pay several thousands more but as much as I loved it the connection to Indiana and Grouseland were "detractors" to me.  The day it sold I deliberately went to the range to take myself away from the sale.  I have seen similar quality works offered for much more.  However as things turned out I am happy that another buyer got it.  I think it was a bargain.   And just a PS on this matter.  Forcing myself to consider spending that kind of money on a contemp. has given me reason to rethink the direction of my future accumulations and I don't feel it's going to move in the direction of more contemporaries.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 10:37:36 PM »
I don't understand this. It was built for the Grouseland Foundation then it was put up for auction on Gunbroker?

By the Grouseland Foundation?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:53:41 PM by crawdad »

Offline Joey R

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 04:05:51 AM »
Yes.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

nosrettap1958

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 04:16:09 AM »
I got it.

Offline bones92

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 07:53:07 PM »
I think Marvin sold it... perhaps he was still part owner, and the Grouseland folks pooled funds together to keep it home at the Grouseland estate.   I'm not sure.

Offline MKemper

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 04:04:49 AM »
I was commissioned to build the rifle by the Grouseland Foundation.   They auctioned the rifle as a fundraiser in connection with the Indiana Bicentennial celebration.
Marvin

Offline Molly

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 01:00:57 AM »
And it was one OUTSTANDING rifle.  So would $8k get something as nicely done in a VA style?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 04:47:35 AM »
Molly, you ever get this rifle we would sure like to see a picture or two of it.  :)

Offline Joey R

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »
Pictures and story in one of the recent American Rifleman magazines.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Molly

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 02:41:14 AM »
crawdad:  I think I have had a religious experience concerning my "accumulations".  I really loved that rifle and I had my budget set but just could not follow through.  At about the same time I found an original made withing 5 miles of home that caught my eye.  Very nice rifle, not perfect and not cheap but available at a price I was willing to pay...so I got it.  Added to this was the realization that I have several "replicas"...nice rifles every one.  Some rather costly, others not so much but I shoot them all (or will when I'm ready to do so).  But with so many I'm always flipping a coin as to which one I take next and moving from one to the other does not contribute to being a good shot with any.  So, I'm thinking I don't need 11 replicas and maybe going forward I will satisfy my urge by getting local good quality originals.  BUT, if I do, I'll put up some photos.

n stephenson

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
Molly would you be willing to show us that original you aquired . Just thought I`d ask . I always like to see any of the old ones.  Thanks Nathan

Offline Molly

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 12:18:44 AM »
Yes, I will do that after getting some good photos and will put them in the antique gun section.

DONE!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:31:13 AM by Molly »

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
I sure wish some folks would put some of these guns up for raffle instead of auction.  I could at least afford to buy a raffle ticket.  Sure can't afford to bid on most of these rifles, shotguns, or pistols.  I'm 67 and SS check doesn't go far enough to put out  $$$$ for a once in a lifetime muzzleloader.
Jesse168
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM

Offline Molly

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
Jesse:

You got your wish.  The CLA is doing a raffle of a Charlie Wallingford rifle to be awarded in August of 2018.  (Can that be correct?  Or did they mean to print the date as August 2017??)  But whatever, it's a rifle raffle (or should that be a raffle rifle?).  Get you tickets while they last!!  And good luck.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »
I have and shoot an early Charlie flintlock southern shimmel rifle gun and really like it! It has a lot of character just like Charlie!!  ;)

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 07:02:22 AM »
How do I go about getting raffle ticket?  Is there any other raffles available sooner?  August 2018 is almost 1 1/2 years away.
Jesse

Jesse:

You got your wish.  The CLA is doing a raffle of a Charlie Wallingford rifle to be awarded in August of 2018.  (Can that be correct?  Or did they mean to print the date as August 2017??)  But whatever, it's a rifle raffle (or should that be a raffle rifle?).  Get you tickets while they last!!  And good luck.
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM

Offline Dave R

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »
Go to the CLA web page and It should be  there, If not send me a message back!

Offline Molly

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
The CLA sent some in my renewal package.  It looks like a nice rifle although not as "ornate" as the Grouseland rifle but one anyone would like.