Author Topic: Game creeper's Rifle  (Read 43184 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Game creeper's Rifle
« on: September 17, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
English Ca. 1770 more or less. Colerain 29" swamped .58 rifled barrel, Chambers early Ketland lock, good old Iowa wallynut stock.
 There is some precedence for a gun like this, There is a fowling gun in "Great British Gunmakers"  made in the 1770's for the Duke of Earl...or some such fellow.... with an abbreviated trigger guard like this. Also, English coach carbines were sometimes made with out buttplates. So, I stretched reality a bit and combined those features into one gun. Plus the lack of standard lock bolts, which was done on English guns on occasion also.
 The wood is as hard as wallynut gets, but the grain through the wrist is less than ideal, something I wouldn't use for a customer's gun. So I figured it to be ideal for a gun for me. I sort of reinforced the wrist, the screw that holds the rear of the trigger guard and the screw that secures the thumbpiece are both 1" long....trying to head trouble off at the pass. Anyway, I just got done shooting it and no problems. In fact it's incredibly accurate, first five shots are one ragged hole. Deer beware!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:42:20 AM by Dennis Glazener »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Game creeper's Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »
More.....

49 more to go.... ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:43:03 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »
I guess I might add.... the butt is 4 7/8" tall by 2" wide. The wrist is 1 1/2" wide by just a bit over 1 3/8 tall. 13 5/8" trigger pull. 2 5/8" drop at the heal by 1 5/8" drop at the comb, very comfortable dimensions to shoot off hand.
 Seems to have just a bit more recoil than my .36. ;)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
Mike, I like your new rifle!!  It has everything that a great hunting rifle needs.  I especially like the comb line practically parallel to the bore.  This gives a gun that has virtually no felt recoil, allowing the shooter to follow through with the aim/shot.  Very nicely done!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 08:56:50 PM »
I like it ;D That would make a very handy deer rifle in these thick thickets here in hotabama. Good work as usual
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »
Thanks guys. It's just what I thought was ideal for hunting deer in Iowa. I didn't have much time to make a deer rifle for myself (same old yearly story ::)) so I just eliminated all non essential parts but still kept it near historically believable. Iowa 1st ML season is Oct. 10th...got a little front sight filing to do before then, shooting 4 1/2" low @ 25 yards.

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:30:27 PM »
Very neat little huntin gun , Mike.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »
Nice rifle Mike! I hope you get a chance at a deer with it. Hummm corn fed deer, sounds delicious.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 11:58:30 PM »
Thanks guys. It's just what I thought was ideal for hunting deer in Iowa. I didn't have much time to make a deer rifle for myself (same old yearly story ::)) so I just eliminated all non essential parts but still kept it near historically believable. Iowa 1st ML season is Oct. 10th...got a little front sight filing to do before then, shooting 4 1/2" low @ 25 yards.

Aww, come on-save the files for customer work.  Just bump the powder until you get POI up to POA.   ;D

Good looking rifle, Be great for the hills o' TN too.  Glad you have "your own" rifle now. 

Try not to sell it.  8)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 01:18:08 AM »
Elegance in simplicity. I like it and no lock bolts to boot....wait a second, l see a slotted head on the plate side. How'd you do that? That is, secure the lock.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 03:19:27 AM »
Bet the lock is held in place with super glue.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 03:25:42 AM »
That screw you see in front of the hammer is threaded into the breech plug lug in English fashion . The front is normally held by a hook witch I have done on doubles in the past and witch is normal done by english gunmakers when they use  this method. I skipped the hook this time as the lock sits so tight against the barrel any way.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 06:17:07 AM »
Mike nice lookin gun. Really like the lines an the way you did the lock. Good luck hunting!

Online alex e.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »
Interesting gun. Even if it is English ;) good hunting with it!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Elegance in simplicity. I like it and no lock bolts to boot....wait a second, l see a slotted head on the plate side. How'd you do that? That is, secure the lock.

That's a beautiful short rifle and I would say the lock screw threads into the wrench area
of the breech plug.I am trying to get a half stock flintlock rifle together and may use this method.

Bob Roller

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 11:57:17 PM »
nicely done Mike,sure to fill the freezer with it,I'm sure

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »
If I would have had the time I would have put some wire on that vacant side panel like the English often did. They even sometimes faked the screw heads with wire. Ow well, maybe next time! :-\

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 03:01:50 AM »
Very nice!  Beautiful work!

~Tony

Offline draken

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
Nicely done Mike! A nice no-nonsense huntin' gunne!
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »
Very nice.   Why not put a buttplate on it? 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
Why not put a buttplate on it? 
But why? He said he wanted only essential parts and after building/owning several rifles without butt plates I believe them to be of very little use except cosmetic.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
Dennis,

It has always been my understanding that the buttplate significantly helps protect the wood at the butt from gouging, splitting, chipping, etc.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 07:50:44 PM »
Very nice.   Why not put a buttplate on it? 
Time mainly, I can't spend much time on something for myself.....or in other words, I can't afford my own work.... ;) Secondly, historical precedence, and lastly as Dennis just said, buttplates are highly over rated... :P

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
Dennis,

It has always been my understanding that the buttplate significantly helps protect the wood at the butt from gouging, splitting, chipping, etc.

Observe originals. buttplate-less guns are generally broken through the wrist before a they  will chip through the toe or heel.  This old gun completely wore out, but the butt is still fine.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 08:03:44 PM »
I like it, but I'll like it more when it's laid across a big old Iowa buck!  Now just get it done this fall, no excuses about catfish, customers with cash, old age, etc.   ;)

3,000 hours to complete??   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"