Author Topic: Game creeper's Rifle  (Read 43149 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Game creeper's Rifle
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 10:16:25 PM »
It has always been my understanding that the buttplate significantly helps protect the wood at the butt from gouging, splitting, chipping, etc.
Not my experience, have not had that problem with any of the ones I have made. I also own 3 original flinters and none of the three show any of the things you describe. Now the wrist on one broken and has iron straps down both sides to repair it. One other one has many pieces broken out of the forearm side rails and the third one has no problems at all and its probably the oldest of the three. Take a look here : http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8015.0
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:18:32 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 11:22:45 PM »
Nice rifle Mike.

So far as the butt question; one person says "it has been my understanding" the other says "it has been my experience"   I'll go with experience every time.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »
I like it, but I'll like it more when it's laid across a big old Iowa buck!  Now just get it done this fall, no excuses about catfish, customers with cash, old age, etc.   ;)

3,000 hours to complete??   ;D
Yes, 3,000. I figure the deluxe case will be another 3,000. ;D

One big unforeseen bonus is I've been smoking meat with the cut offs from this stock. Smoked a turkey, chicken and two racks of ribs today. Never let good wallynut go to waste! ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »
It has also been my experience that the wisdom and experience of others can improve my own understanding.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
It is nice to see that once and a while the cobblers kids do get a pair of shoes.  Very nice gun indeed.  I really like many of the little subtle details that abound on this "basic" rifle.  Pretty cool for a shorty.
David 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 12:58:48 PM »
Got it all sighted in now. It shoots one  hole around 1"at 30 yards off a bench. 65gr KIK 2ff .018 pillow tick, .570 ball.  This early Ketland lock is great. I have used dozens of them over the years and have thought them the best of the Chambers locks. Now that I actually own a rifle with one I REALLY appreciate how good this lock is. Super fast, and real easy on flints. Having a great time with this gun.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
Got it all sighted in now. It shoots one  hole around 1"at 30 yards off a bench. 65gr KIK 2ff .018 pillow tick, .570 ball.  This early Ketland lock is great. I have used dozens of them over the years and have thought them the best of the Chambers locks. Now that I actually own a rifle with one I REALLY appreciate how good this lock is. Super fast, and real easy on flints. Having a great time with this gun.
You've messed up now, all excuses are gone, 1 shot 1 deer is the expectation now.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 11:17:15 PM »
You've messed up now, all excuses are gone, 1 shot 1 deer is the expectation now.

Well, we'll see.... ;)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
Heck, those Iowa bucks are so big how could anybody miss one?!?!   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »
Heck, are does are bigger than most bucks elsewhere! :P

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 09:57:54 PM »
Now that's MY kind of gun.  Plain isn't "plain", plain is good.  You have your gun, Mike, and you know the builder quite well  ;D.

I'll be looking for a victory pic.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Corn fed I guess
Dennis

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 12:24:39 AM »
Corn fed I guess
Dennis

Nothing but. When you field dress them they are always full of corn......I'm weird that way, I always check. :P

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2016, 01:12:18 AM »
Heck, those Iowa bucks are so big how could anybody miss one?!?!   ;D
Corn fed I guess
Dennis

Nothing but. When you field dress them they are always full of corn......I'm weird that way, I always check. :P

I always check fish belly contents, but leave the deer bellies whole.  Interesting fish belly finds: mouse, snake, eel.  :P

I don't care what the deer eat, they usually come past me in full-strut-rut and food ain't on their minds.

When does your season start Mike?  Ours is the first Saturday in November a/k/a "full chase".  ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:26:40 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2016, 01:54:02 AM »
VA Muzzleloader season for deer is November 5 through 18. Sure hope I will be able to go, all depends on when I can get my back surgery scheduled.
Dennis

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 02:04:09 AM »

You can say that again.  Maybe not bigger than our bucks here, but the first time I went out to Iowa I shot a doe the first night to help out my pal where I was hunting.  I grabbed a leg to drag her up to his quad trail and almost pulled my shoulder out of the socket.   :o
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
Heck, those Iowa bucks are so big how could anybody miss one?!?!   ;D
Corn fed I guess
Dennis

I always check fish belly contents, but leave the deer bellies whole.  Interesting fish belly finds: mouse, snake, eel.  :P

I don't care what the deer eat, they usually come past me in full-strut-rut and food ain't on their minds.

When does your season start Mike?  Ours is the first Saturday in November a/k/a "full chase".  ;)

Snaik in a fish belly....interesting. I have often found frogs in bass bellies. Iowa 1st ML season starts Oct. 10th and runs about 5 days or so. They aren't in rut and are mostly found just browsing in the AM and PM. All the young dumb tender ones get killed 1st ML season . ;D
 Problem is we often have alot of standing corn left that time of year.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
VA Muzzleloader season for deer is November 5 through 18. Sure hope I will be able to go, all depends on when I can get my back surgery scheduled.
Dennis

That's a tough one.  Good luck Sir, I wish you well and a speedy recovery. AND LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTORS!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:01:31 AM by crawdad »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »
This is my absolute favorite Mike Brooks Rifle. Love to have one in 45 caliber.

http://www.fowlingguns.com/rifle5.html

I take it as a North Carolina Appalachian squirrel rifle.  

And I'll fight any man who says otherwise.  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:43:09 PM by crawdad »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2016, 07:29:25 PM »
This is my absolute favorite Mike Brooks Rifle. Love to have one in 45 caliber.

http://www.fowlingguns.com/rifle5.html

I take it as a North Carolina Appalachian squirrel rifle.  

And I'll fight any man who says otherwise.  :D
Thanks. That is a locally owned gun and shoots incredibly well. It was also the gun used for the shooting segment  in "A Craftsman's Legacy".

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
Very nice squirrel rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 09:33:15 PM »
Well, Mike should be out filling his tag today!
Mike Lee

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2016, 10:36:02 PM »
Well lets all wait to hear about how much meat he got or the (like me) excuses ;D
Dennis

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2016, 11:37:09 PM »
Well lets all wait to hear about how much meat he got or the (like me) excuses ;D
Dennis
Well, if I would have went out today I would have been pouching. Turns out opening day is the 15th.....always some sort of rule getting in the way. ;)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 01:15:44 AM »
Bout as good an excuse as I have heard. I thought Monday was an unusual day for a season to open. I think all of the ones here in VA open on Sat.
Dennis