Author Topic: Game creeper's Rifle  (Read 43154 times)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: Game creeper's Rifle
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »
Bout as good an excuse as I have heard. I thought Monday was an unusual day for a season to open. I think all of the ones here in VA open on Sat.
Dennis

Yup, one excuse covers a whole 15 days.
Mike Lee

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »
Excuse for today: Got half way there and realized I forgot my wallet with deer tag in it. Turned around and went home. I figured hunting on a public hunting preserve with out a tag probably was asking for trouble. Got home and have been engraving ever since. Maybe this afternoon.... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »
Thats just half an excuse Mike
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2016, 09:04:50 PM »
Thats just half an excuse Mike
You just haven't heard the rest of it, it goes something like this: Well you know I would be dressing out the deer in the dark, too late to fool with packaging the meat etc that kinda story. I know, I have used it myself.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2016, 09:20:20 PM »
"I figured hunting on a public hunting preserve with out a tag probably was asking for trouble."

And you are right too, good call on turning around Mike. The ONE time I didn't have my fishing licence on my person was the one and only time I've ever been asked to present a hunting/fishing licence. Fortunately the game warden was kind enough to allow me to send him the licence in the mail instead of writing me up. Of course he wouldn't allow me to fish any longer, and kept the four trout I had in my kreel. Still, I thought him kind and that I had dodged the bullet on that deal.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »
I have an "unfortunate history" with game wardens from back in my wasted youth. :-X  I'd really not like to start that all over again. Lucky for me I didn't spend my wasted youth in Alabama where the game wardens are really tough..... ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »
I dont even know if we have a warden in our county yet. Our last one had a bit of a brush with the law himself an no longer gets to wear the shiny badge or carry the .40 cal or any gun for that matter. Guess the neighboring county wardens will get to visit an cover unless they have hired/transplanted one that I have not heard about yet. I know all of the officers in the town that I work for an they have not said any different
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2016, 12:44:06 AM »
Yep back when you was a youth, game wardens would have been after you in Alabama guess times have changed. 😊

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »
Game Creeper's gun is now blooded! Framer John called to say there were deer in the last 12 rows of corn he was combining. So, I walked to the end of the  field and got settled in. When he got to the end out came several pheasants and a coyote. I actually hit a running coyote at 35 yards in the head with a .58 flintlock. ;D You know what they say, "It's better to be  lucky than good any day". ;)

Offline Telgan

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »
Dare we ask what part of that coyote you were aiming at (smiles )?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
Game Creeper's gun is now blooded! Framer John called to say there were deer in the last 12 rows of corn he was combining. So, I walked to the end of the  field and got settled in. When he got to the end out came several pheasants and a coyote. I actually hit a running coyote at 35 yards in the head with a .58 flintlock. ;D You know what they say, "It's better to be  lucky than good any day". ;)

Nice shot but that's no venison.   :P

Hold to the Wind

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2016, 04:19:48 PM »
Nice shooting!!!! So how many illegals did he have with him?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »

Nice shot but that's no venison.   :P

Maybe not but he saved some both ways

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »
It was more like a wing shot . To be honest I don't recall even seeing the sights.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »
It was more like a wing shot . To be honest I don't recall even seeing the sights.

Instinct shot, and a good one! Shooting that varmint must have been quite satisfying. No accident that coyote came out with the pheasants either. You interrupted its intended brunch.  8)

Now that the rifle has spoken with intent perhaps you can teach it to sniff out deer.

dave

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
Some regret...it was a beautiful animal, but I'd rather have pheasants and rabbits to hunt, hard to do that with a large coyote population. Didn't damage the pelt either, creased her right above the eyes on top of the head....lucky, lucky, lucky. :P

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »
Most of the yotes around my neck of the woods are eat up with the mange. I usually kill several each deer season an nearly all but one or two over the yrs have been eat up with it. Those few that were not was very pretty I'll have to agree but the others were quite the ugly yote with most their hair gone an the skin scratched an bleeding. I considered it a mercy killing.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »
You know what they say, "It's better to be  lucky than good any day".
Go on and take credit for it Mike, head shot on running coyote with first shot from one of your custom designed, custom built Game Creeper rifles. Sign up now to have you own built by one shot Mike :D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2016, 11:41:36 PM »
You know what they say, "It's better to be  lucky than good any day".
Go on and take credit for it Mike, head shot on running coyote with first shot from one of your custom designed, custom built Game Creeper rifles. Sign up now to have you own built by one shot Mike :D
Dennis
I'd love to take credit for that shot Dennis but luck is the only reason I hit it. The only skill part of it that got me a dead 'yote was many years behind a shotgun...turn brain off....instinct takes over... ;)
 Now, to wack a deer the same way....I'd take luck there again too! ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2016, 12:44:39 AM »
The only coyote I ever shot was down in Ga.  That was one beautifully furred critter.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2016, 01:15:45 AM »
Congrats on breaking in the rifle, Mike.  Nice shot.  I appreciate your modesty, but I've noticed that the more skilled and experienced one is, the "luckier" one gets when it comes to hitting moving game.  Good luck on the deer this season as well.
Jerry

Offline PPatch

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2016, 08:51:42 PM »
The only coyote I ever shot was down in Ga.  That was one beautifully furred critter.

Hanshi;  I'm "down in Georgia" and there are packs of them roaming around the homestead - you are welcome to come and shoot as many as you desire. We've had a pretty fat moon lately and they start in howling and gathering for the hunt around nine at night for the last week. One rarely sees them during daylight.  The coyotes come and go with the availability of the small game they pray upon, and right now there is plenty for them. They at least keep the rabbits somewhat controlled, and the dogs, and the cats...

Mike; I hope you've had a chance at a fat Iowa deer in the last couple of days.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2016, 11:24:28 PM »
Been making bonus points with she that is in charge. Shoveling manure on the garden and tilling it it, planting garlic, pealing apples for making apple sauce, mowing the grass I hope for the last time and I'm now getting ready to go to a funeral visitation for a distant old Auntie. Maybe tomorrow..... ::)

Offline PPatch

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2016, 12:47:49 AM »
Been making bonus points with she that is in charge. Shoveling manure on the garden and tilling it it, planting garlic, pealing apples for making apple sauce, mowing the grass I hope for the last time and I'm now getting ready to go to a funeral visitation for a distant old Auntie. Maybe tomorrow..... ::)

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat around here. Spreading compost, tillering and messing with mulch. An outbuilding needing attention before winter. I have one remaining tomato plant that is a survivor, so I'm doctoring it along to get the last five tomatoes before the frost gets it. They have been so good this summer. Sure does cut into the gun building.

Pack your hot dogs and jerky, make a midnight run for it - we got deer (and coyotes) around here and I know where they like to play.  ;)

dave

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:09 PM »
Well anything but a coyote so far?