Author Topic: Game creeper's Rifle  (Read 43152 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Game creeper's Rifle
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2016, 12:37:15 AM »
Well anything but a coyote so far?
Had a deer the size of a german sheperd 20ft. from me and another slightly bigger just beyond it sunday evening. I passed.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2016, 01:42:59 AM »
Don't blame you for passing on them. Some times chicken sometimes feathers. You may need to schedule a trip down this way. I'd wait until it rains and we get a little cold weather.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
Mike, what does the hook assembly look like in the front of the lock?  When I got back into muzzleloading about three years ago the first rifle I got out of Dixons had one cross bolt and a dummy bolt in the front of the plate.  The lock is very secure, but I always wondered about the front.

Thanks

The Capgun Kid

PS  Merry Christmas

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
Mike, what does the hook assembly look like in the front of the lock?  When I got back into muzzleloading about three years ago the first rifle I got out of Dixons had one cross bolt and a dummy bolt in the front of the plate.  The lock is very secure, but I always wondered about the front.

Thanks

The Capgun Kid

PS  Merry Christmas
Some body posted a picture of one while we were discussing this and now I can't find it. Must have been another thread. You might try a search and see what pops up.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
Mike, can you explain a bit how the "hook" is done?
Mike Lee

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2016, 09:53:51 PM »
Mike, can you explain a bit how the "hook" is done?
It's the same principle as on the hook on the front of an english buttplate finial or an english trigger guard. Some body posted a bunch of pics on this, go do a search.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:55:11 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »
...So, here's Mike Brooks who, in the world to "HEROES" is referred to as a "TEACHER" and he goes and posts an intriguing picture of a crossbolt.  So, when we all ask how he did it he tells us to go search!!!  Does the phrase "Tutorial"  Ring a bell?

"C'MON, MANNN!!!

PS  Happy New Year, Mike, and thanks for everything.

The Capgun Kid

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
...So, here's Mike Brooks who, in the world to "HEROES" is referred to as a "TEACHER" and he goes and posts an intriguing picture of a crossbolt.  So, when we all ask how he did it he tells us to go search!!!  Does the phrase "Tutorial"  Ring a bell?

"C'MON, MANNN!!!

PS  Happy New Year, Mike, and thanks for everything.

The Capgun Kid
I did a search and couldn't find what you're looking for. There was another thread going about the same time this one was active and the other thread showed exactly what you're looking for. Maybe someone that is far more clever than I can find it. As far as tutorials, those days are long over. I work much slower these days so it takes all my time at the bench just to make a living these days. Any "spare" time is used shooting and reloading.
 I'm going to be 60 this June and recently realized I'm not going to live for ever so if I'm going to shoot competitively again I better get with it! The great thing about starting competitive shooting again at 60 is I get to be in the Senior matches! (unfortunately that seems to be where the toughest competition is :P)

Joe S

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »
Vinegar will catch the occasional fly.  Here ya go Mr. Capgun:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=41587.0

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »
Vinegar will catch the occasional fly.  Here ya go Mr. Capgun:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=41587.0
There you go, that's what I was looking for but couldn't find it. I knew somebody smarter than I could find it with no problem.

Joe S

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »
I am not only smarter than most folks, I am also much better looking as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:43:41 PM by Jose Gordo »

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2016, 10:19:09 PM »
Thanks Gordo and Mike.  This is why you're the only hero I have besides me.  OK, so Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Willie Mays, My Dad, some of the apostles and my son.

As far as being "60" is concerned, speak to me when you get out of puberty.  67 here and I did not even start to build until I retired. You are NOT permitted to pass away or suffer serious illness until I get my skills up to an acceptable level.  Maybe a decade or so at least.....

Thanks again so much Mike and Gordo.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2016, 11:30:38 PM »
Thanks Gordo and Mike.  This is why you're the only hero I have besides me.  OK, so Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Willie Mays, My Dad, some of the apostles and my son.

As far as being "60" is concerned, speak to me when you get out of puberty.  67 here and I did not even start to build until I retired. You are NOT permitted to pass away or suffer serious illness until I get my skills up to an acceptable level.  Maybe a decade or so at least.....

Thanks again so much Mike and Gordo.
I ain't planing on dieing all over the place.....60 has me spooked, there's a lot of gun games I want to play at yet and I need to get going if I'm going to get it all done before I turn 100. ;)

Offline DBoone

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »
I like this gun, Mike!  It says it all.  My kind of gun. 

I would love to only build the very plainest of guns.  The real beauty of a gun is in the "lines"....not the trim....IMHO.  Unfortunately, to meet financial obligations I find that I have to opt more toward customer preferences (and buttplates,,,,yuk)....plus all the other "trim" normally associated with a gun.

I have never seen a gun without a buttplate that had serious damage.  I did restoration for years and had to repair quite a few Southern guns with no buttplates.

I have, however, witnessed many guns that broke at the toe because of the lower screw in the BP.
It's very presence weakened the toe and helped to promote the break.  Early guns with wide, flatter butts.....not so much a problem.

Slab sawn and butt cut wood generally produces the best and toughest stock for a "no BP" gun.   About 10 years ago I watched Freddie Harrison ram a pre-shaped, 1770 period stock into a concrete floor over and over to prove this point.  It showed little damage....and nothing serious. 

I also think the mind-set of a good mountain gunsmith was that if the wood was not up-to-snuff as far as grain direction then it would get a buttplate.  If it was a style like the Beans and Ambrose Lawing made with the long, sharp toe, then yes it would have to have a BP.   A rounded heel, rounded toe and edges of the butt is all that's needed.

With all this said, take a look at an old ladder-back chair with it's plain wood legs with no cap on the ends.  Most will show a little wear but no real damage.  Most of us would never treat the butts of our guns the way a ladder-back chair gets treated.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:00:25 PM by DBoone »

Offline DBoone

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
Why not put a buttplate on it?
But why? He said he wanted only essential parts and after building/owning several rifles without butt plates I believe them to be of very little use except cosmetic.
Dennis

Amen, Dennis!  The Gillespies knew all about this, didn't they!

Offline TPH

« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2017, 06:18:38 PM »
.............take a look at an old ladder-back chair with it's plain wood legs with no cap on the ends.  Most will show a little wear but no real damage.  Most of us would never treat the butts of our guns the way a ladder-back chair gets treated.   ;D

An excellent point.
T.P. Hern

n stephenson

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2017, 05:39:05 AM »
Hey Mike ! I can second the motion on the plus60 crowd being rough at the range . There are some older gentleman at the club I shoot with that are more than willing and able to clean the clock of a younger shooter .They have some years long rivalries going that no one wants a piece of. I`ve been took to school more  times than I`d like to mention by the "old" guys.I guess  it`s like a lot of other things some people just stay good a long time .  Nathan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
It's women I hate shooting against. Why do they always have to come around and humiliate all of us guys when we're having such a good time.... ::)

Smoketown

« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2017, 12:53:43 AM »
It's women I hate shooting against. Why do they always have to come around and humiliate all of us guys when we're having such a good time.... ::)

They don't shoot so good.

Them wimmins jes knows we loose our cornsentrayshun when they shows up!  ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown