Author Topic: Question on Honaker Rifle  (Read 2903 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Question on Honaker Rifle
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:33:20 AM »
This picture is from Gunsmiths of West Virgina, by Fred R. Lambert and James B Whisker.  Its caption is, "an early Honaker rifle from Raleigh County".  From the list of gunsmiths in the book I guess it probably was Abraham Honaker (1774-1869).  The picture is not very detailed and I have a question about the furniture.  Does anyone know if it would it have been brass or iron?

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

galudwig

Re: Question on Honaker Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:26:37 AM »
I saw the remnants of the stock from an original Honaker that Ian Pratt had access to.  The furniture on it was iron.  I know that he built an iron mounted rifle for a customer based on that remnant.  You might contact Ian as he seemed to have a great deal of knowledge about the Honaker family of gunmakers.

Offline Carper

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »
The Honakers were our competitors in pre civil war Va and later WV. I have had the opportunity to see quite a few Honakers. That bird showed up in even later guns. The only ones that I have ever seen (2) were brass.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »
Joel Hall

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »
I saw the remnants of the stock from an original Honaker that Ian Pratt had access to.  The furniture on it was iron.  I know that he built an iron mounted rifle for a customer based on that remnant.  You might contact Ian as he seemed to have a great deal of knowledge about the Honaker family of gunmakers.

I tracked down Ian Pratt's email on and sent him a message.  Thanks for the tip.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer