Author Topic: shot placement  (Read 11596 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: shot placement
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 01:50:16 AM »
Good videos, Dan. What flinter was that in the rock shooting video?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
Shot placement trumps everything else.  Any bullet/ball in a non-lethal spot is ineffective.
Just for an example of penetration, let me site my first moose kill.  A cow moose (approx. 1000 pounds) broadside at exactly 100 paces...Brown Bess musket .75 cal shooting a .735" soft lead ball patched with oiled denim in front of 100 grains of FFg G&O powder (1979).  Ball struck front shoulder pulling a plug of hair into the wound...very little blood loss there.  Ball stopped under the hide on the far side, after breaking through both leg bones, both scapulae, and the lungs.  Volumous bleeding from the mouth...moose went fifteen yards slow walk and collapsed.  I made no attempt for a heart shot...lungs does it every time.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 10:40:25 PM »
yup when you let the air out of 'em they don't go very far.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:18:50 PM by Joe S. »

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
When you let the air out of them with a .735 ball, they deflate pretty quick !

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 04:04:09 AM »
What size do you use in your 10 bore Bob?  I had a .77 cal BB 1st Model (10 bore) and shot the same .735" ball in that with a .025 - .030" patch.  It shot very well out to 100 meters.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 04:51:00 AM »
It depends on how I'm loading the gun. I have both .735 and .715 moulds. If using paper cartridges, [ which I usually do ]  I use the .715    I have used the .735 on two bears, and they were both dispatched "promptly"
Frankly, the .715 does the same good work. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 05:18:20 AM »
Bob, I have taken four bears with a 58 round ball and seen first hand how much damage they do, your .715 or .735 must be drop in their tracks performance as your roun d ball must be at least twice as heavy as a .570.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 10:24:19 PM »
I'm certainly no continent traveling hunter but have had enormous experience with deer, and smaller stuff, in the woods of the Deep South - Georgia and a little in Va.  I like two holes in my deer; don't always get them but it's what I prefer.  I've hunted mostly with a couple of .45s but also with several .50s, a .54 and a .62.  Up close, say under 50 yards, the entry holes (even with a .45) are, well, awesome; exit holes not so much but both do bleed copiously.  On angled shots sometimes the ball simply flattens out under the off side skin.  On longer shots, 75 to 100+ yards, pass through is the norm with entry and exit being some smaller.  A prb is a large, soft bullet and makes a sizable hole going in.  It then expands and produces impressive internal damage to the organs; that's what kills.  If you shoot a deer NO energy is ever wasted; its work is done whether or not the prb exits. 

One deer shot with a .50, almost broadside, ran into the bush.  Since I always stay on stand for at least an hour after a shot - doing this has many times enabled me to collect a couple more deer as I did on this occasion - I happened to notice A Cardinal (the bird not the priest) perched in a tree about where the shot was taken.  When I finally came down I recovered the second deer and started tracking the bigger one.  The "Cardinal" turned out to be a fist size lump of lung tissue.  The deer was just a few yards in the bush.  Another time an 8 pt buck was quartering away at maybe 20 yards.  I fired my .45 and he ran, staggering like a drunk, and I heard him crash moments later.  The blood trail a little ways past where I hit him was astonishing.  There was blood waist high on tree trunks and scrub.  He was expired a few yards farther on.  The entry hole was, again, enormous.  The ball was flattened just under the offside skin. 

It's the large lead ball and reasonable velocity that kills by doing internal damage.  No energy is ever wasted once the deer is hit; and while two holes are preferable, just one will do the trick just fine. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 03:11:14 AM »
I hunt the same type land in the deep south that Hanshi does. You never see the thickets and the briars  on TV that we see on a daily basis. Some of this stuff is right on the edge of being impassable. So I want an exit hole if possible.
I always expect a deer to run a ways after being shot and a good sized exit hole really helps the tracking jobs. When the briars get tall it's best to have some blood higher up than to be crawling on your knees looking for it.
American horses of Arabian descent.