Author Topic: 090301-1  (Read 8903 times)

Offline nord

090301-1
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
This rifle was purchased by a dealer from a family in Arkansas.  This rifle had been the same family since it was purchased new in Pennsylvania.  Story goes that the rifle was bought for the patriarch of the family just prior to their selling out and moving from Pennsylvania to Arkansas.  With the rifle came a very plain bag and horn with some other small items in the bag. The seller still resides in Arkansas.   

I have no idea as to possible maker, it will be interesting to see comments. The story came after the rifle and accoutrement purchase had been finalized, so no reason not to believe it.

Comments:

This is a pretty stunning rifle! But, a hard one to pin down. The spurred triggerguard appears to be an Ohio trait as does the half stock, the profuse inlays and the cap box. The engraving, the wire inlay work and the architecture all say Somerset County in PA. But, how many half stock rifles has anyone see in that school? The engraving and wire are certainly characteristic of S. Mier, and the rifle may have been one of his.

My first overall impression concerning this rifle was Ohio.  The back to back C's from the grip rail to the rear extension seems to be predominately an Ohio feature?  Although I have also seen variations of this feature on Southern rifles, most recently the H. Huffman attributed rifle  that posted to the Library.

A very eye-catching rifle! My first guess would be Ohio. It reminds me a lot of a rifle by Martin Beeson. Beeson was born in Kentucky in about 1820, was working in Wheelersburg, Scioto Conty, Ohio, in 1850, and moved to Metropolis, Massac County, Illinois, in 1851. He died here in about 1867. Beeson also used lots of wire inlay to accent the other inlays.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:25:21 AM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.