Author Topic: Fore end problem  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Fore end problem
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »
I started building a generic "Southern mountain rifle" from a blank about 6 years ago and just know got the time and tools to get back to it.  My problem is that when I was sawing out the blank on a bandsaw I managed to lay the thing out incorrectly and got the upper edge of the fore end pretty low on the barrel.  Instead of getting it about half way down on the side flats, it's more like two thirds or a little more.  I have a lot of work done on the thing to this point (butt plated on, lock and triggers in etc), but I don't want to go any further with something that I'll just have to scrap.  For some reason it just looks stranger to me now than it did when I was initially building it.  What do guys think?  Have a rifle (13/16 .32) that is really skinny, or scrap and start over?  Its a fairly nice piece of curly maple.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Fore end problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:15:25 PM »
  #1 question Is the ram rod hole drilled yet?
  #2 where is the touch hole in relation to the pan. If the touch hole is level with the top of the pan and the ram rod hole is not yet drilled you could go deeper with the barrel. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »
I usually show more than 1/2 of the barrel above the wood. 1/3rd ought to be ok, I'd probably go with it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Roger B

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »
Ramrod hole is drilled and the touch hole is in nearly perfectly.  I guess the worst thing that can happen is that it will look silly and I know that feeling.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
I'd go with it too.  Having the wood lower on the barrel makes for a slimmer looking rifle as well.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

54ball

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 10:12:02 PM »
Instead of getting it about half way down on the side flats, it's more like two thirds or a little more.

It should do fine.

The following is the breech end on a Southern Rifle. Note how it swoops down to reveal nearly the whole side flat. The top edge of the side panel lines up with the top of the side flat of the barrel but the rifle is at a slight angle and it makes the side panel look high.

This particular rifle showed more of the barrel flat at the muzzle, less at the mid point and more at the breech.
 So they are not always perfectly flat showing 1/2 the flat. As a matter of fact, being perfectly flat and showing 1/2 the channel is really a modern feature. Most originals will reveal more of the flat.  It is important to lay that out smooth and straight and be careful when shaping the forestock to avoid the rolling up and down or roller coaster look to your barrel rails. 

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:05:42 PM »
Seems to me you're good to go, and it won't "look silly" on an SMR.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:30:29 PM »
Is there any way to glue a strip from the original blank on the side?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 11:45:29 PM »
Is there any way to glue a strip from the original blank on the side?
I did that full length on a 50" barreled fowler many years ago. "Slight" miscalculation running it through the band saw.... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Roger B

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 02:49:38 AM »
Thanks, guys.  This is my second build from a blank and I'm learning by leaps and curses.
Roger