Author Topic: Shooting a pistol w/o rear sight  (Read 7592 times)

Offline hatman

Shooting a pistol w/o rear sight
« on: October 01, 2016, 07:01:56 AM »
I've thought about buying a Harper's Ferry pistol for a while just to have another flintlock pistol but was dissuaded by the lack of a rear sight.
There is now an intriguing pistol being offered here that I really like, but it also has no rear sight.
Can someone explain how shooting with just a front sight works if one wants a modicum of accuracy and consistency out to say 50 yards?
I haven't yet been successful in googling up an answer so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I'm a newbie who lives in the PNW where flintlocks are a rarity at the range so I'm happy I found a forum where there is so much I can learn from you guys.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Shooting a pistol w/o rear sight
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »
 Most of the pistols you describe without rear sights, are personal protection replicas, or duelers, and are designed for up close, and personal, short range shooting. Pistol accuracy at fifty yards is a tall order. Most pistol matches I'm aware of are shot at 25 yards or less.

Hungry Horse

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 02:52:19 PM »
There are a couple of ways to "fudge" a rear sight on a pistol that doesn't have one.  One is to use the tang screw head for the sight if it sticks up high enough.  the head can be timed so that the slot is in line with the axis of the barrel.  Two is to file a V into the breech/tang junction.  Both these methods will give a serviceable rear sight.  The front sight is then manipulated to bring the gun to zero.

The "secret" to accuracy with a smoothbore is velocity, velocity, velocity.  A .45 cal. smooth pistol will take 45-50 gr. 3F and a tightly patched ball.  This load produces some hefty recoil and most of the shooters at Friendship wear a glove to handle it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »
There are a couple of ways to "fudge" a rear sight on a pistol that doesn't have one.  One is to use the tang screw head for the sight if it sticks up high enough.  the head can be timed so that the slot is in line with the axis of the barrel.  Two is to file a V into the breech/tang junction.  Both these methods will give a serviceable rear sight.  The front sight is then manipulated to bring the gun to zero.

The "secret" to accuracy with a smoothbore is velocity, velocity, velocity.  A .45 cal. smooth pistol will take 45-50 gr. 3F and a tightly patched ball.  This load produces some hefty recoil and most of the shooters at Friendship wear a glove to handle it.

Anyone that can shoot a 44 magnum can easily handle this black powder load with a light weight ball.

Bob Roller

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 05:20:46 PM »
My smoothbore 62 has no sights on it yet I get reasonable accuracy at about 7 to 10 yrds just by looking down the top of the barrel an putting that sight picture just under my mark or target I want to hit. I hope that makes sense (Im a redneck ya know)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hatman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 03:46:04 AM »
My smoothbore 62 has no sights on it yet I get reasonable accuracy at about 7 to 10 yrds just by looking down the top of the barrel an putting that sight picture just under my mark or target I want to hit. I hope that makes sense (Im a redneck ya know)

Being in Western WA I'm a wetneck.  :)

I haven't developed a desire for a smoothbore yet, but maybe someday.
The pistol here in the classifieds is rifled and so are newer Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistols (according to their website).
Normally I shoot pistols (cartridge and muzzleloaders) at 25 yards but my friends and I enjoy shooting 2 liter bottles tied to a stake on the 50 yard berm.  I just looking for wisdom of how to have a chance to hit them when you don't have a rear sight.
I appreciate all the feedback!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:18:11 AM by hatman »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »
 Well, Hatman, I wouldn't try holding my breath until I hit one at fifty yards with no rear sight. Even with the sneaky tradegunners cheater sights, it'll be a tall order.
 By the way even the old replica Harper's Ferry pistols built years ago in Belgium were rifled, but in .58 instead of .54.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:57:55 PM »
There are a couple of ways to "fudge" a rear sight on a pistol that doesn't have one.  One is to use the tang screw head for the sight if it sticks up high enough.  the head can be timed so that the slot is in line with the axis of the barrel.  Two is to file a V into the breech/tang junction.  Both these methods will give a serviceable rear sight.  The front sight is then manipulated to bring the gun to zero.

The "secret" to accuracy with a smoothbore is velocity, velocity, velocity.  A .45 cal. smooth pistol will take 45-50 gr. 3F and a tightly patched ball.  This load produces some hefty recoil and most of the shooters at Friendship wear a glove to handle it.
Golly, that's about what I shoot in a .45 rifle! :o
BTW, you'll be disappointed with the reliability of that Italian Harpers Ferry lock. You get what you pay for. ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:00:06 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hatman

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
Well, Hatman, I wouldn't try holding my breath until I hit one at fifty yards with no rear sight. Even with the sneaky tradegunners cheater sights, it'll be a tall order.
 By the way even the old replica Harper's Ferry pistols built years ago in Belgium were rifled, but in .58 instead of .54.

Hungry Horse

Thanks Hungry Horse.
Problem solved:  I just agreed to buy Eric's pistol in Classifieds and he said he'd install a rear sight for me!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »
There are a couple of ways to "fudge" a rear sight on a pistol that doesn't have one.  One is to use the tang screw head for the sight if it sticks up high enough.  the head can be timed so that the slot is in line with the axis of the barrel.  Two is to file a V into the breech/tang junction.  Both these methods will give a serviceable rear sight.  The front sight is then manipulated to bring the gun to zero.

The "secret" to accuracy with a smoothbore is velocity, velocity, velocity.  A .45 cal. smooth pistol will take 45-50 gr. 3F and a tightly patched ball.  This load produces some hefty recoil and most of the shooters at Friendship wear a glove to handle it.

Anyone that can shoot a 44 magnum can easily handle this black powder load with a light weight ball.

Bob Roller

I shoot 55gr. 3F in my .54 with a .526" RB and .020" ticking patch. It's accurate, but kicks pretty good with this load, however, far from needing a glove- really?  This load will put 5 into 2 1/2" to 3" at 50 yards off a rest and the gun had no rear-sight, per-se'.
At the top of the tang, right near the rear of the barrel, are 2 dome headed steel pins glued into their respective holes in the tang so their bottom side of the dome is flush with the tang, only the tiny domes stick up above the tang.  Those tiny domes constitute the rear sight on this pistol.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:56:01 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 11:23:56 PM »

Bob Roller

I shoot 55gr. 3F in my .54 with a .526" RB and .020" ticking patch. It's accurate, but kicks pretty good with this load, however, far from needing a glove- really?  This load will put 5 into 2 1/2" to 3" at 50 yards off a rest and the gun had no rear-sight, per-se'.
At the top of the tang, right near the rear of the barrel, are 2 dome headed steel pins glued into their respective holes in the tang so their bottom side of the dome is flush with the tang, only the tiny domes stick up above the tang.  Those tiny domes constitute the rear sight on this pistol.

Canadians..... ::)

How do you guys keep yourselves stocked in powder with as heavy a loads as you shoot? That much powder can't be used efficiently in a 10" barrel.....
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »
The target disagrees Mike, while the 66" twist pretty much demands it.
Less powder is Less accurate.
There's lots of powder. I know a guy with so much powder, he'll sell it by the 25 pound case.
I'm actually getting down now that you mention it. Probably no more than 8 pounds of Swiss and maybe only 35 pounds of GOEX left - going to have to order some more - could be a long winter?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:15:01 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
The target disagrees Mike, while the 66" twist pretty much demands it.
Less powder is Less accurate.
There's lots of powder. I know a guy with so much powder, he'll sell it by the 25 pound case.
I'm actually getting down now that you mention it. Probably no more than 8 pounds of Swiss and maybe only 35 pounds of GOEX left - going to have to order some more - could be a long winter?
Wow! You better get some more powder quick! You only have enough left for about two more shoots. ;D

Just hackin' on ya. ;)

(That 66" twist pretty much explains it...that's supposed to go in a rifle you know.... :P)

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »
A few years ago I built a 40 cal. flintlock pistol using a 12" Green Mountain barrel. I did install a rear sight but have learned a few things since this build.

I mounted the rear sight a few inches up the barrel from the breech. I should have placed the sight as far back toward the breech as possible. Even on the breech plug extension itself.

I never knew that a pistol needs a stiff powder load for better accuracy! I will do some experimenting with increased loads and hopefully start hitting the broad side of the barn!!

Joel Hall

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
I should mention that I have a .45 cal. 18" twist GM barrel for this pistol with a drum and nipple and a replacement cap-lock for the flint version.  I shoots amazingly well with patched .440 or .445 RB's and .018 to .020" patches or the Lee R.E.A.L. 200gr. bullet lubed with Lyman BP Gold, both with 20 to 25gr. of 3F.  Best so far, is 1 1/2" at 50 yards with both RB.  The slug seems to shoot about 2" regularly - not bad for a handgun, I guess.  I only shot the slugs as I had some already cast and lubed for rifle tests.
Daryl

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »
I never knew that a pistol needs a stiff powder load for better accuracy! I will do some experimenting with increased loads and hopefully start hitting the broad side of the barn!!

A rifled pistol does not need a stiff load for accuracy.  A rifled .45 pistol will use about 20 grs..  A smooth-bore gun requires a heavy load to get the velocity required for maximum accuracy--long gun or pistol.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 01:42:58 AM »

A rifled pistol does not need a stiff load for accuracy.  A rifled .45 pistol will use about 20 grs..  A smooth-bore gun requires a heavy load to get the velocity required for maximum accuracy--long gun or pistol.

A rifled pistol with a 66" twist shoots like a sack of s--t with 20gr. of powder.

Note this post - guess you missed it.

"I should mention that I have a .45 cal. 18" twist GM barrel for this pistol with a drum and nipple and a replacement cap-lock for the flint version.  I shoots amazingly well with patched .440 or .445 RB's and .018 to .020" patches or the Lee R.E.A.L. 200gr. bullet lubed with Lyman BP Gold, both with 20 to 25gr. of 3F.  Best so far, is 1 1/2" at 50 yards with both RB.  The slug seems to shoot about 2" regularly - not bad for a handgun, I guess.  I only shot the slugs as I had some already cast and lubed for rifle tests."
Daryl