Author Topic: Original Bucks County rifle  (Read 15402 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Original Bucks County rifle
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 07:40:05 PM »
No way to know when a lock on an original was on it when it was built. Bucks county long rifles do not feature large locks. Go to Rifles of Colonial America and read the measurements on the Verner.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 12:34:44 AM »
Check out the sale price! Someone saw something good!
John
John Robbins

Big Wolf

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 12:52:39 AM »
At $23,000.00 somebody really liked it....a lot

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 01:01:25 AM »
Notice how you can see the entire underside of the pan cover?  This shows that the rifle is tipped away from the camera and makes the lock appear too high on the side of the stock.  The underside of the lower forestock also bears this out.
This is not a big lock...it is a 'finely' made rifle, that is, not voluptuous in any way.  Like its cousin, the Lehigh, there is little wood in the stock, and often, locks were mounted above the centre of the bore....generally.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 04:29:08 AM »
Whether it's an original rifle or re-stock the Verner patch box is interesting to me for 2 reasons. 1) It's nice to see what Verner would put on a lid other than his name, and 2) The side pieces and finial have all the individual engraved elements of RCA 63 , this engraving is very close to the RCA 63  but not an exact copy. This would indicate to me that Verner had a pattern that he used repeatedly ( at least twice ). PB sure looks authentic to me.

One thing jumps out to me on the rifle is that incised volutes are sort of open ( folksy ) and don't close tightly ( aristically ) as all those on RCA 63 do which would indicate to me a different hand in incised carving than RCA 63.

Maybe a restock with a very grand patchbox ?  I'm no expert just a student. I wonder what the patch box alone would be worth if indeed it is original as it looks to me.

Unique looking side plate also. Can't find a similar one in my reference material.