Author Topic: Mark on rifling  (Read 4994 times)

brianrace1

Mark on rifling
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:14:42 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new, so pardon if I'm asking something that's already been asked.

I have a CVA muzzleloader that is probably 15 years old. I haven't fired it in about ten years. Something that has bothered me since the beginning is that there is mark on the rifling. When it's taken apart and I look down the barrel toward a light bulb and see the mirror shine down the barrel, I notice something like a mark or slight nub. I've tried cleaning and cleaning thinking it was grime, but it is not. It was like this before I put it away for ten years. My question is if this is something I should be concerned about? I've shot it before with the knowledge of this mark and nothing has happened, but it is always in the back of my mind if it could ever cause the barrel to explode or something to that extent.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Mark on rifling
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 05:40:23 AM »
Did you ever use substitute powders in it?  Or patches with polyester ?   [ regular cleaning is not often enough to get rid of the melted plasticy  stuff from the patch ] ]    Where is this spot in relation to the outside of the barrel?  I have seen "staked"  barrel lugs that raise a spot in the bore .  Sight screws ...same thing. Maybe it's just a machine "burr" and has always been there.  I have seen some import barrels where the grooves show a lot of chatter.

brianrace1

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »
No substitute powders. To be honest, I'm not sure of the patches since it's been years. I just moved and the box with all the old gun cleaning I used for this particular rifle is in a storage unit.

At first I thought it was gunk years ago, but now it does look more like a machine mark like you are talking about. I just want to know if that is something that will eventually cause a failure in the rifle or if this is common with rifles and is more of a cosmetic issue (which is not really an issue for me).

brianrace1

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »
Never mind. I just read some alarming issues with quality control dating back to 2006 with the brand of rifle I have (CVA). I bought mine in 2000 or 2001. I'll be getting rid of this thing. Thanks for taking the time to help though. I appreciate it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »
Never mind. I just read some alarming issues with quality control dating back to 2006 with the brand of rifle I have (CVA). I bought mine in 2000 or 2001. I'll be getting rid of this thing. Thanks for taking the time to help though. I appreciate it.

IF this rifle has a potential defect that might get someone hurt why not make a floor lamp out of it
instead of foisting it off on an unsuspecting buyer? >:(

Bob Roller

brianrace1

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 02:21:25 PM »
Yeah I am not going to be selling it. I did say "rid".

I wouldn't feel right essentially giving someone a ticking bomb.

I was thinking about crimping the barrel in several spots or bending it and throwing it away, or taking it to the police department so they could destroy it.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »
What model CVA is it?  What caliber?  Flint or percussion?  If a Mountin Rifle or their Hawken it would be worth the time and expense to have reamed and rifled to a larger caliber. One source for this is BOBBY Hoyt. Not sure of his contact info  but he's in PA.  Others on here may have his contact info.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
...or find another barrel to fit in the stock.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
 Get a new drop in barrel for it, problem solved.order from Dixie/CVA custom barrel maker,,not a big thing,,,Bought yours in 2000 Quality issues in 2006.. did the issues include 2000 ???

Offline Dan

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »
I would suggest a couple of things before trashing the barrel/gun.

1) tight patch (dry) a rod and look for resistance during a push thru the bore.  If nothing else it will provide insight as to the form and magnitude of the aberration.

2) If there is an identifiable flaw it might be successfully addressed by lapping the bore.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »
Take a look at it with a bore scope. Your local smithy probably has one and wouldn't charge much to take a look.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?