Author Topic: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken  (Read 30347 times)

Offline johngross

Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken
« on: October 11, 2016, 04:21:56 AM »
I would like to have a nice looking "Hawken" rifle to hang on the wall in my den. The Pedersoli RM Hawken catches my interest because of the maple stock. Unfortunately, the retailers who carry the rifle (such as Cabela's) only have a stock photo, probably copied from Pedersoli's web site. This doesn't help me much in determining the quality/grain of the wood. Although the reviews for the rifle at Cabela's are very good, I still feel I'd be buying it blind and hope I get one with a nicely grained stock.

Has anyone handled or seen several of these, and can comment on the quality and grain of the maple stock?

Thank you,

John Gross 

Offline L Meadows

Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:43:44 AM »
Not trying to hijack your thread,but steg49,a member here,has some really nice hawken style rifles for sale if you would like to contact him.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:28:15 PM »
Drive on over to Cabelas and have a look in person.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
You may find that the majority of this crowd isn't familiar with the particular gun you are inquiring about.

I have heard of the maker, and seen their offerings in catalogs years ago, but wouldn't consider anything they make "nice" because of the genericism and production practices. Especially to "look at".

I know that many here have used and gotten fine service from such guns. Maybe they make good decorations too.
Hold to the Wind

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »
If you have a Cabela's near enough to drive to, and if they have any in stock, then seeing one in person is best.  (also you can check them out on the Davide Pedersoli website).

If it were me... I'd probably just order a nice Hawken kit, where you can select the quality of wood.   There are a good number of options, such as: http://longrifles-pr.com/hawkenhalf.shtml

Also, I'll bet you can buy a custom Hawken here on our own trader forum and spend about as much as you would on a new Pedersoli.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:01:40 PM »
I was in a Cabela's store about a month ago and got a good close up view of one of those rifles. They look a lot more like a real Hawken rifle than some of the other offerings sold today but they fall short in so many ways that I would not consider one for my self. The model that I looked at had one of the long rear sights but the dove tail for it was in the place I would have put a fixed style sight and the rear of the sight was only a short distance from the front of the lock and that just would not do for just about every one of middle age or older.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
You really need to view each individual gun in person to ensure the wood is satisfactory for your needs or wants... Wood is natural and will vary--even custom guns.

If I were in the market for a true Hawken rifle, I would start with a kit from Don Stith. Then I would choose a builder that has experience building a half stock style rifle and pay them handsomely to build it.
If you want an authentic Hawken, both in function and style that is the way to go.

If you just want a functional half stock muzzleloading rifle that approximates a generic 1840-50s style gun, then I would take a look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, or the Pedersoli version. They both shoot and look just fine.

K
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:50:49 PM by Ken Prather »
Galations 2:20

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 02:43:33 AM »
Ken said it all!!!!!
Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline bones92

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
Ditto Ken's comments.

The Lyman GPR is a superb shooting rifle, and you can find them for around 400 on auction.   Then you could probably have a custom stock made for it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder. ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bones92

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
For that matter, there are a number of members on this forum who could do a bang-up job building an authentic Hawken kit.   John Gross, you might consider this.  It may end up costing the same or less than a Pedersoli, but it would be a custom-built and accurately reproduced Hawken.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
The Lyman GPR is not overly pretty with its wink to the perch belly--I think it looks much more like a California made half stock of the mid to later 19thc. But it will get the job done and its easy on the pocket book.

HOWEVER-- If I wanted eye-candy and a good shooter, I'd go with a custom built Don Stith kit. I have drooled over his website for years.

K
Galations 2:20

nosrettap1958

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 10:21:58 PM »
I don't know guys.  For the money, you could do a lot worse than the Pedersoli.  If you buy really good custom parts and wood, your components price is going to be about 50-75% of the Pedersoli rifle completed.  I'm not sure someone would build a Hawken at the Pedersoli price.  As far as authenticity goes, the Pedersoli isn't at all bad.  I would be tempted to buy one if I couldn't build one myself. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Longone

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 10:43:19 PM »
After purchasing a Hawken rifle through this forum that turned out to be a real pooch, I purchased a RM Hawken from Cabelas and although the wood is not drop dead gorgeous it shoots so well I don't care. If you are looking for just something to hang on the wall I'm sure there is something out there that you can find, but if you are looking for a shooter that looks good get the RM Hawken, you won't be sorry.

Longone

JoeG

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 03:12:39 AM »
I handled one at Cabellas about a year ago and was impressed with it. It is a good looking gun and would be a good choice for what you want.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
So, what's an Italian Hawkens go for these days...I'm sure I'll be surprised.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:13:13 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
Only 1299.99 new.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »
Only 1299.99 new.
:o I gotta raise my prices........

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
Does that mean you are surprised? :o :o

Offline Longone

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
I got mine on sale @ Cabelas for $999

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »
Only 1299.99 new.
:o I gotta raise my prices........

oh my

surprised me too.  :o   I should get out more.
Hold to the Wind

nosrettap1958

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
With prices creeping up that's a tough one.  Pedersoli built guns have won many international muzzleloading competitions and many praise the accuracy of their barrels. Like I said that's a tough decision.

Offline bones92

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 03:51:57 PM »
Pedersoli makes quality products, plain and simple.

We should bear in mind that because of the lower cost and quality of Italian BP arms, people like me get involved in muzzleloading, and eventually we find forums like the AmericanLongrifles.com, and eventually we learn about the diverse world of factory and custom made muzzleloaders.

I have picked up two custom flintlocks in the past few months, spending more on one than I ever expected to spend on a ML rifle.  I never would have done so had I not developed a fascination with muzzleloaders that was enabled by inexpensive entry-level options.

So take heart, you gun-makers.  Today's CVA, T/C or Pedersoli customer is tomorrow's custom-built customer.     After all, I still have that Bill Large barrel waiting to be built into a new rifle... ;)

maypo59

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 07:32:41 PM »
I have now handled about a half dozen of them, after my last trip to DGW. All of them have had very nice wood, in fact the one at DGW on the rack last month, was very nicely figured. I have owned one for a couple years. I like it just fine. Unless you are one of those people who believe that if J&S used "x" screw right here, and this "copy" doesn't, then it's just junk, I am pretty sure you will be happy. I ordered mine on-line, when Cabela's was having a sale. "Luck of the draw" as they say..

Deer season year before last..

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:06:26 PM by maypo59 »