Author Topic: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken  (Read 30339 times)

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:21 PM »
perty

K
Galations 2:20

maypo59

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 08:54:03 PM »
I got mine on sale @ Cabelas for $999

Same here, plus I had a couple gift cards from Purina, so it was $800 to me..

Offline EC121

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Go to www.thegunworks.com and look around.  He has a little bit of everything at "reasonable"(depends on your definition of reasonable) prices.  He also advertises on Guns International.  Some will be in the price range of the Pedersoli and won't say "Made in Italy  Black Powder only"  on the barrel.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:43:31 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline EC121

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 04:23:41 PM »
Your rifle is a nice looking rifle.  It is several notches in design and looks above most production rifles.  The LOP of most production rifles is my problem.  The production rifle companies seem to make everything 14in. or too straight.  I could never get one to feel comfortable.   If I am going to spend upwards of $1000 on a rifle, I want it to, at least, come close to fitting me.  Also it is better to personally inspect a rifle than order off a page.  When I was shooting matches every month, I lost too many contests to production rifles to say they aren't accurate.

Brice Stultz

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »
When it comes to guns (and a few other things for that matter), there is no wrong answer. You like what you like and should not be shamed into changing your mind, just because another person would not choose what you have chosen. And as with most things, you have the option to change your mind and take a different course down the line at some point.

I think this message thread has offered many opinions and reasons for those opinions. The best advice I have read so far is to handle the gun before you buy it. (Unless you are having it custom made) Unless you choose a composite plastic stock, the wood will always be a variable. Find the gun that fits you best and shoot it until a better one comes along.
Galations 2:20

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »
All good points.

Maypo59, that's a nice looking rifle, regardless of where it was made.  You are spot-on correct: affordable rifles get people into the hobby.

Just a few years ago I bought a CVA Kentucky rifle, thinking that $150 is about as much as I'd ever want to spend on a muzzleloading rifle.   I had no idea...
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 12:00:49 AM »
Maybe not progressive rifling but a more precise cut rifling or additional lapping of the lands and grooves by Pedersoli?  

"and laps and polishes their bores to perfection"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:03:42 AM by crawdad »

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:35 AM »
Incidentally, I saw one of these for sale at the local Cabela's for $999 today.   .54 caliber, with some minor dings, which seems odd as I think it's supposed to be in new condition.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:56:32 PM by bones92 »
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 09:00:27 PM »
From a rifle builder's perspective, I think Pedersoli's RMH rifle, judging from the image posted above alone, is a decent looking Hawken rifle.  It is so far ahead of other manufacturer's offerings, also named "Hawken" rifles, that there is really no comparison.  If I was staring out today, and read this thread, I'd buy that rifle without hesitation, providing I had the funds.  I started in the early 70's with a T/C "Hawken" and thought it was wonderful.  This Pedersoli rifle is miles ahead.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 09:41:53 PM »
I've only owned two Pedersoli guns, a dbl 12ga and a .50 Cub.  Pedersoli guns are absolutely the nicest production guns I've ever had contact with.  Admittedly, the flint lock on the Cub was not at all reliable; still I did kill a couple of deer with that lock and many more with a percussion lock installed.  The shotgun was amazing.  It just felt "right" on the shoulder.

The thing about any production rifle is that they are all essentially identical.  Some have better wood than others but other than that they are clones.  On the other hand any builder who works from a plank will almost never have two of the same guns that turn out alike.  I have muzzleloaders from four different makers.  Two of them are late Lancasters from TVM.  Though they are otherwise identical, they could have easily been built by two different builders.  But when shouldered the sights on both automatically line up perfectly.  I have another TVM custom that is a .50 "early Lancaster".  But due to my size and build I had to have it sized down to "youth" dimensions with a 12.5 lop and late Lancaster brass hardware.  It's probably the best "feeling" rifle I own.  You just can't get this fit from a production rifle, and I have two production rifles that are splendid.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 10:51:15 PM »
Half stockers and full stockers are completely different animals.  Take for example the Lyman GPR, the old CVA half stockers, the T/C Hawken and now the Pedersoli are good solid hunting rifles.  But if you take the full stock production rifles they are at a big disadvantage as I've never seen a production rifle with a swamped barrel or one competing in a judged event.

Be that as it may I sure would like to see a head to head comparison between the Pedersoli and Lyman plains rifles.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:46:32 PM by crawdad »

maypo59

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »
I would like to have a nice looking "Hawken" rifle to hang on the wall in my den. The Pedersoli RM Hawken catches my interest because of the maple stock. Unfortunately, the retailers who carry the rifle (such as Cabela's) only have a stock photo, probably copied from Pedersoli's web site. This doesn't help me much in determining the quality/grain of the wood. Although the reviews for the rifle at Cabela's are very good, I still feel I'd be buying it blind and hope I get one with a nicely grained stock.

Has anyone handled or seen several of these, and can comment on the quality and grain of the maple stock?

Thank you,

John Gross  

John, Just to comment again to try to answer your question.. Yesterday I was in the Cabela's at Hammond Indiana (one of the largest Cabela's). They have a .54 and a .50 on the rack. I handled them both. They both had very nice wood, and the .54 was on sale for $999.. The .50 was still $1299. They told me they had 3 of each in stock at the store, and would/could pull them out for a buyer to inspect. I apologize for not getting a picture of the two on the rack, I left my phone in the car on the charger, and was on a very tight schedule. I hope the comments here have helped you out.

Edit: It occurred to me to just do a google image search, quite a few owners have posted pictures, along with some reviews and articles with pictures..

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:32:35 PM by maypo59 »

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
At least they have a good source of maple
  They have been buying from Wayne Dunlap

Offline SR James

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 06:23:53 AM »
I have both the Pedersoli RMH and the lyman GPR, setting the $ difference aside, there's no comparison. The RMH is a far better rifle in terms of quality of materials and assembly. It's also an excellent shooter.  That said, the Lyman is also a good shooter but I would rank the Pedsersoli higher.  Of course, that $ difference is significant. However, the Lyman is for sale but the I have no intention of selling the Pedersoli, if that tells you anything. 

nosrettap1958

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 02:20:13 PM »
I have both the Pedersoli RMH and the lyman GPR, setting the $ difference aside, there's no comparison. The RMH is a far better rifle in terms of quality of materials and assembly. It's also an excellent shooter.  That said, the Lyman is also a good shooter but I would rank the Pedsersoli higher.  Of course, that $ difference is significant. However, the Lyman is for sale but the I have no intention of selling the Pedersoli, if that tells you anything. 

Yes it does. That said a lot.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 03:21:05 PM »
 Since this is a Muzzle Loading site, all references to Sharps and Rolling Blocks have been removed.

Tim C.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
John there all straight shooting guns. But the Pedersoli is by far the most accurate. After owning CVA, TC Hawken,Traditions etc during my journey in this sport. My opinion go with the Pedersoli you will be much happier in the long run. Just my experience.    Mike
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:26:06 PM by oldtravler61 »

hammer

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 11:06:40 PM »
 There is a video made by our friend 'Capandball' of 'Barrel making at Pedersoli factory' on YouTube.  Davide himself takes the viewer through the process.     'Capandball' made another of their stock making process.    Excellent videos as are all those by our Hungarian friend.
Enjoy.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 01:42:09 AM »
Here is that video,

Pedersoli dominates the European muzzleloading championships.

maypo59

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »
It's a great video.. if you follow the link that shows up about how they do the wood, very good video also.. AND, along about 16 minutes in, and on to the end, you get looks at a bunch of their maple stocks.. all look nice..

Offline johngross

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2016, 06:44:12 AM »
Thank you for all the comments and information. The nearest Cabela's to me is 300-400 miles away, so looking at one in a store was not an option. Their website had it listed at $1299, and just today (Oct 21) the price was lowered to $999 as some of you had mentioned seeing in the stores. So I went ahead and ordered one!  :D

I also got free shipping. Even with tax it's still the least expensive price I've seen for a new one. I have my fingers crossed the wood will be as nice as I've seen in some photos. I'm not looking for 3xxx curly maple, just some wood which has a little extra grain flow and nice color to it.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

John Gross

maypo59

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »
We will need to see pictures, just to satisfy ourselves you did OK..   ;)

Offline Longone

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »

**Edited by Dennis to avoid Photobucket ads**
**Just use Photo URL's to avoid the garbage that Photobucket ads**

From a range trip earlier this month. The aiming black is 3", both were shot at 50 yards from a bench.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:31:43 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »
There certainly isn't any doubt that rifle will flat-out shoot.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline SR James

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 04:54:40 PM »
John:  Here's a couple of pics of mine.  From the several I've seen, it's pretty typical in terms of the wood.  And it is an outstanding shooter.