Author Topic: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken  (Read 30344 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »
What does the inside of the lock look like? I know they have made some major improvements in
the lock they use on their Gibbs styled long range rifles. Externally that is a fine looking rifle and
I would not be worried about taking it to a range or on a hunt.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:33:20 PM by Ky-Flinter »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »

**Edited by Dennis to avoid Photobucket ads**
**Just use Photo URL's to avoid the garbage that Photobucket ads**

From a range trip earlier this month. The aiming black is 3", both were shot at 50 yards from a bench.

Longone, how many shots at the top target? Was the group opening up as the barrel became more fouled up?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:02:15 PM by crawdad »

Offline Longone

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 11:15:08 PM »
The top target was only one shot, I turned chicken and didn't want to ruin it. Our range faces a bit SW so you are looking at the sun glisten off the front sight most all day. I take credit for the group getting taller, I have used a carbide smoker in the past but not on this trip.

Both targets were shot with 50 grains of Goex FF, Remington caps, .014" plaid material I cut into squares ( 1 1/8" square) and my cast balls .495" from a RCBS mold.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 03:38:44 AM »
That is some shooter!!!

Have you seen this thread concerning all the Hawken rifles offered?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=37390.msg359378#msg359378

Offline SR James

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »
Here you go, Bob:

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2016, 10:21:02 PM »
A decent replica of a Goulcher caplock used by MANY gunmakers in the percussion era.
Given good care it should last a life time.
The lock on the Gibbs Long Range/Pedersoli is much different.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:34:16 PM by Ky-Flinter »

setch

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
I  have found the his thread very helpful as i am considering a pedersoli traditional hawken. The discussion around quality, accuracy, and value relative to a custom/kit have been great.

More generally, this forum (which i just found!) is what i have been looking for.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »
In determining which rifle to buy you have to find not only a comparison between rifles but a useful comparison.

Firearms manufactured by Pedersoli seem to dominate the European muzzleloading championships but that information is only useful if we can determine who Pedersoli is competing against. If you have 95% percent of the entrees using Pedersoli made firearms then you can be pretty sure that the Pedersoli built firearm is going to get pretty close to winning the match. In other words, is there a large selection of various manufacturers in Europe building firearms of that quality to compete with Pedersoli as you have here?

For example, look at all the manufacturers offering percussion revolvers back in the sixties and seventies. I can name off the top of my head at least a half dozen. What about now? You now have only two, Pietta and Uberti, with Pedersoli just recently offering its 'match grade' Remington.

So you have to find matches where the Pedersoli is actually being challenged by other high quality rifles. You then have to move away from muzzleloading into breechloading rifles to find those head to head match ups where high quality American firearms with their match grade barrels are directly competing against the Pedersoli.  If you search you'll find that the Pedersoli is more than holding its own against this competition.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:27:30 PM by crawdad »