Author Topic: Wolfgang Haga?  (Read 27377 times)

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Wolfgang Haga?
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 02:03:09 AM »
Bill,

Glad you enjoyed it.

Buck

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2016, 02:26:27 AM »
120RIR,

I just noticed but I am familiar with the "Haga" rifle you recently picked up. The prior owners attributed it to Shener, it's a great gun congratulations. HIB once owned the rifle, he might be able to give you a little more insight.

Buck

Offline Molly

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2016, 03:39:44 AM »
A very interesting thread.  Having recently found a pair of original rifles made by a local maker in around 1810 I decided I must have one.  Then I discovered neither were signed yet they were offered with absolute certainty as to the maker.  Then I further discovered no "known" signed examples exist.  I know there are those with the eye of an eagle who make a living buying and selling and don't consider myself capable of such certain judgment however this is the most appropriate comment from Mr. Pierce

" As a scientist who has always had to have solid and reproducible evidence and data to establish anything, the Haga attribution always bothered me.  I understand and agree it's likely W. Haga made some or most of the Reading unsigned rifles but that falls short of deserving "made by" him."

Big money rifles demand solid documentation and "attributed" is one thing.  "Attributed" with no known signed examples is another.  BTW, the one on gunbroker has been running for a long time so either condition or doubt or both can be attributed to why its not selling.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:42:06 AM by Molly »

Offline HIB

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »
Ms Molly and Gentlemen, Every so often I cruise through the ALR site simply to read the interesting topics. I seldom interject my observations these days but this topic really caught my attention this evening.

I am in fact the individual Eric refers to when he mentions 3 or 4 various hands apply to these 'Boro of Reading" style rifles often called Haga types. The particular study goes back almost 40 years and involved well over 25 guns. One in the group was actually engraved 'Reading' on the patch box lid. Nice gun but I lost track of it until 5 years ago when it showed up in a famous Colt collectors collection during a visit to the cartridge collectors home. I have photos for those of you wishing to pursue the gun as it apparently is 'on the market' or soon will be as the Doctor passed away a couple of years ago. I have been told other guns I reviewed during the aforementioned visit were at Baltimore either this year or last.

The 'Boro of Reading' gun photo posted 10/30/16 was, in deed, on my wall for a long period of time. Since 120RIR is the new custodian I will gladly provide the provenance as I remember it if the new member will contact me directly at  latisabethan.dilemma@comcast.net  The gun as I remember it is a beauty but slightly bulkier than other examples from the Reading area I have owned or examined.

So, to add to the impressive info provided by all, here is what I know:

1] The fact the majority of the early 'Boro of Reading' / 'Reading style'  guns attributed to Haga were found in the Reading area is true. Came right from the horses mouth; old Joe. He was referring to the 9 or 10 examples he had in the massive collection in the attic back in 1968, many of which he had owned for 30 + years.
2] A 'Boro of Reading' / 'Reading style' example exists with 'Reading' engraved on the patch box. I'll do my best to provide photos. It is out there somewhere.
3] My research indicates there were two gunsmiths named Shener; Father and son, I believe. Add this to the excellent research list provided by DaveM. Great list!! And I'll believe anything Scott writes on the subject.
4] Four distinct hands are represented in this 'Boro of Reading' / 'Reading style' group of examples I studied back when I was really into Reading area research.
5] I may be mistaken but I think a copy of Haga's estate exists. I recall the date being 1800 or close. It will take a while but I should be able to tract it down providing my memory is correct.
6] And finally: My last living collector/researcher request is for people to stop using the misnomer 'Attributed to Wolfgang Haga'.  'Reading style' is correct. 'Boro of Reading' might be to specific but either or is better than a myth.
Regards, HIB

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:40:02 AM by HIB »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »
Henry,  It's good to have your expertise added to this. It's been missed here. I always thought it strange to attribute something to a persons work who we are not sure we ever saw.  I like the "Reading style "reference . I hope it sticks.
Thank you for your research . Your work on the  Womelsdorf & Reading area has been a joy to read and a great asset to the collecting community.
Jim
JIM