Author Topic: How well does a jug choked barrel shoot?  (Read 14815 times)

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
Re: How well does a jug choked barrel shoot?
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 06:29:08 AM »
Could lowering the muzzle pressure be accomplished by reducing the powder charge in increments to the point that a resulting pattern improvement is realized at some point?
Jerry Dickerson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 09:47:19 PM »
Yes - however there are limits as in velocity loss - to below the effective range.

For example, shooting 70gr. or 75gr. of 2F powder with an 80gr. measure of shot, will normally shoot better patterns than with equal measure full of shot and powder, that many people use.

Something else you can do to drop muzzle pressures is switching out the 2F for 3F - as in dropping the charge to 60gr. to 65gr. 3F. This can improve patterns over the 2F loads due to the lower muzzle pressure, yet the velocities will still be about the same and sufficient to kill the game - depending on range and what the game is and shot size used.

Something else than can be done - was tried and found worked in the 1880's with non-choked ctg. guns, was running a thread tap in the muzzle and down a 1/2" or more to rough it up to help hold or retain the wads somewhat. The cuts need not be deep.

With early breech loaders, the "thread's" would work for only a few shots then would fill with fouling and stop working to retard the wads.  This was reported by W.W. Greener in "The Gun and it's Development" 9th edition. 

For us to use this method in a ML, the "threads" would be kept quite clean just by loading from the muzzle - hence should work for every shot. As well, I cannot see this being detrimental to round ball shooting, at all.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Joe S

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 12:26:31 AM »
Here’s a bit of period doggerel:

Less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead.
More powder, less lead, kicks hard, wide spread.

Smoketown

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 07:14:31 PM »
Something else than can be done - was tried and found worked in the 1880's with non-choked ctg. guns, was running a thread tap in the muzzle and down a 1/2" or more to rough it up to help hold or retain the wads somewhat. The cuts need not be deep.

With early breech loaders, the "thread's" would work for only a few shots then would fill with fouling and stop working to retard the wads.  This was reported by W.W. Greener in "The Gun and it's Development" 9th edition. 

For us to use this method in a ML, the "threads" would be kept quite clean just by loading from the muzzle - hence should work for every shot. As well, I cannot see this being detrimental to round ball shooting, at all.

Back in the day, it was said that shotgun barrels could be 'too smooth' and the remedy was to urinate down the bore.

It was a common practice through the mid 1900's even to do it to "Sousa Grade" guns.   :o

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »

Back in the day, it was said that shotgun barrels could be 'too smooth' and the remedy was to urinate down the bore.

It was a common practice through the mid 1900's even to do it to "Sousa Grade" guns.   :o

Cheers,
Smoketown
Hard to explain old originals with pristine bores then..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Smoketown

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 11:47:13 PM »

Cheers,
Smoketown

Hard to explain old originals with pristine bores then..... ;)

Mike,

That's easy!   

Other than live bird, trap shooters and a few of the crazies (I mean the devoted) on this site, how many shooters actually pattern their smoothbores?    ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline JBJ

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 12:21:17 AM »
How many beers would it take for a fellow to fill up a double barrel 10 bore? ;D
J.B.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »
How many beers would it take for a fellow to fill up a double barrel 10 bore? ;D
J.B.
Tell me how long the barrels are and I'll investigate.... ;D Probably need to have a case or two on hand I suppose. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 01:44:57 AM »
J.B.
Tell me how long the barrels are and I'll investigate.... ;D Probably need to have a case or two on hand I suppose. :P

Always have a case or two on hand. Visit any time, Mike. The store is only 3 minutes way if we run out. We can send one of the girls for more.  ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V