Author Topic: New to this site  (Read 4244 times)

n stephenson

New to this site
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
I was told about this site by my friend J C McClure . I have been very impressed by the GREAT amount of information that has been posted about a subject I dearly love. I`ve been building since age 14 , I`m 47 now.I hope to remain a teachable student as long as I live. I don`t know if this is the right place to post this or not but I`m very grateful to have been introduced to this site and thankful to ALL who contribute. I hope to post some pics of my work once I get it figured out. I would like to suggest a Surgean Generals Warning be placed on this site , because I`m going to have to cut the cord on this computer and go knock the cobwebs out of my shop door or I`m gonna starve to death . THANKS   Nathan Stephenson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: New to this site
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »
Hi Nathan,

Welcome to ALR from another friend of JC's.  ALR is addictive, isn't it.  As for posting pictures, here's a link to a tutorial on the subject.... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0  The instructions mention Photobucket, but any picture hosting site can be used.

Are you near central Kentucky?  We will be having a "cabin fever get together" of ALR members and  longrifle students at Fort Boonesborough in late January.  You'll have to join us if you're close enough.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

maypo59

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »
Hi Nathan,

Welcome to ALR from another friend of JC's.  ALR is addictive, isn't it.  As for posting pictures, here's a link to a tutorial on the subject.... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0  The instructions mention Photobucket, but any picture hosting site can be used.

Are you near central Kentucky?  We will be having a "cabin fever get together" of ALR members and  longrifle students at Fort Boonesborough in late January.  You'll have to join us if you're close enough.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

-Ron

I would be interested in that..

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:25:45 PM »
Welcome! Addictive, yes, very  ;D

Posting photographs to ALR; here is a link providing alternative picture hosting sites to our old standby Photobucket, which is rapidly falling out of favor on ALR due to excessive advertising and low speed. Here is the link to our recent discussion about moving away from Photobucket...

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=41811.0

The basic way to include photographs on ALR is to first join, then upload your pictures to a photo hosting website. after that you cut and paste the individual photograph's URL in your ALR message, being sure to add the proper before and after HTML "tags," which I attempt to explain below...

Immediately before you paste in the hosted photo link type an open bracket, thus "[" continue with "img" then type a closed bracket "]" (lose the "" quote marks, those are in my text for clarity only). It should all be one line, no spaces, thus: [img]

Immediately after the hosted photo link do another open bracket [ insert "/img" and close it ]

I hope that is somewhat more clear than mud Nathan.  :)

What those HTML tags do is define for the program where a photo will appear in the text of your ALR post. That first tag [img] says "insert image here," the next one says "photo stops here."

In any case, would love to see some of your work and keep enjoying ALR. So much to learn and drool over.

dave

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:31:23 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline SR James

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »
Welcome, Nathan.  If I remember correctly, I've seen a number of your rifles for sale on Track of the Wolf.  Very nice work.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:05:28 PM »
Welcome to ALR, Nathan.  This is probably the most "builder dense" site I've been on.  And of course a great deal of knowledge is to be gleaned from these folks. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 05:07:04 AM »
Hey Nathan, glad you're on the site now.  A few of your guns beat you to it of course.

Plan to get by there before too long. I'll holler.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Vulcan

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
Nathan I've seen your work on TOTW as well, please keep us up to date on current and future projects!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »
Nathan welcome to the ALR!  Seen some of your work also. Very nice. Mike