Author Topic: *Photos added* Uriah Fisher / Cornelius Richwine rifle?  (Read 3396 times)

tlmetesh

*Photos added* Uriah Fisher / Cornelius Richwine rifle?
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »
I've got a full stock longrifle that is marked on the top of the barrel "U . F" and was told it was done by VA maker Uriah Fisher of Strasburg, VA. The left side of the barrel, right where it meets the stock is marked "C RICHWINE" which I believe to be Cornelius Richwine (Reichwein) of Pennsylvania. How likely is it that a PA barrel ended up coming to VA to make a complete gun?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:58:41 AM by tlmetesh »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Uriah Fisher / Cornelius Richwine rifle?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »
No reason to think it didn't. Things that worked didn't get discarded in those days. Post a pic
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

tlmetesh

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:19:47 AM »
I can't figure out how to post photos unless theyre hosted on a site. How can I just post image files?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:47:55 AM »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline perce

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:09:35 AM »
Uriah (AKA, "RYE") Fisher lived at Rices Landing,  Greene County, Pa. and was still actively making rifles in the 1950's.
The one-room shop was still standing in the 1960's, owned by his daughter.  I visited the shop with her permission and
found many stock blanks, along with his tools.  At the time she would sell nothing, but years later I heard she passed and
the contents were disposed of by relatives.  I never saw any piece signed with his name nor initials, and know not why, for
as I recall he produced a quality rifle.

tlmetesh

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
Try this link to see photos of the gun:

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Logan_Metesh/library/

tlmetesh

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:52:06 PM »
Also, final link to puzzle was lockplate. Marked "N. MELCHIOR / WARRANTED" which was Nathaniel Melchior of Baltimore, MD.