Author Topic: contemporary copy of Oerter rifle  (Read 5348 times)

Offline blienemann

contemporary copy of Oerter rifle
« on: November 06, 2016, 12:32:56 AM »
A contemporary gunsmith named Richard Nicholls made a copy of this original Christian Oerter rifle.  Does anyone know of the maker, and/or of his copy of the old rifle?  IF yes, please email me off site.  I only have this one photo of the original - sorry.  Looks like a fine rifle, with a simple rendition of classic Beth/CS carving done in wire.  Rifles #44 and 45 in Shumway RCA Vol I are similar, but a bit more wire. Others are more complicated.  Thanks, Bob

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: contemporary copy of Oerter rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:07:05 AM »
Hi Bob,
My breath is taken away by that photo.  Could you share any more with me?  Thank you.  Sorry, Bob I did not see your note that this is the only photo you have.

dave
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:11:18 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:45:39 PM »
That's a great gun, I'm going to have to find time to do one of those.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »
I wish I could help, Bob, but that is a neat rifle!

Offline blienemann

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:21:49 AM »
Does the builder sound familiar to anyone?  Was he associated with Williamsburg at some point?  I don't see his name on the CLA list, nor could i find him by Google.  I'm guessing his copy made around 1990?

The rifle was apparently photographed by George Neumann, and published in Battle Weapons of the American Revolution, Scurlock 1998.  I don't have that book handy - one photo, or more?  Black and white?

thanks, Dave, Mike and Wes.  We'll keep hopin'.  Bob

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:35:25 AM »
Hi Bob,
I have Neumann's book in front of me and the rifle is #7.RR on page 219 of his book.  The B&W photos do not do the gun justice, which is why I never really noticed it.  But your photo takes my breath away as much as RCA 52 , which you helped me with.  I have to make a copy of this gun.  I wish I could help you with Richard Nicholls.  His name does not ring a bell but then there are many makers of whom I am ignorant.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
Richard Nicholas was a member of this forum as well as a KRA member from Carey North Carolina. He passed away several years ago.

He posted here under the name richardn and his posts can be found on the old board   http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=12232.0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:35:03 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline blienemann

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »
Thanks, Joel.  That could be our guy.  But the post you linked to suggests someone who buys rifles and wants some work done - a patchbox added to a rifle he has, rather than an accomplished builder?  The name as I heard it is Nicholls.  Referred to as a master gunsmith, but not sure who made that claim.  Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:28:55 PM »
Thanks, Joel.  That could be our guy.  But the post you linked to suggests someone who buys rifles and wants some work done - a patchbox added to a rifle he has, rather than an accomplished builder?  The name as I heard it is Nicholls.  Referred to as a master gunsmith, but not sure who made that claim.  Bob
There's only one Master Gunsmith that I know of and he lives out West somewhere..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?