Author Topic: little buck on opening day.  (Read 4984 times)

Offline Pat_Cameron

little buck on opening day.
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:35:56 AM »

He isn't big but if you cut him up into little pieces and surround those
pieces with mashed potatoes and maybe a few vegetables he starts to look a whole
lot better.

50 cal mountain rifle by John Bergmann. lots of FFFG and .490 patched round ball.

I will try and post a better photo in the daylight before he ends up in those little pieces.

Pat Cameron
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

silly goose

Re: little buck on opening day.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
I love venison in little pieces.  Nice work.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
Congrats Pat. The one I killed has smaller antlers than that. I Shot what I thought was a doe an it grew little spikes when I walked up to it. Oh well. Like you said the taters will make it all better
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
 My dear departed Dad had to admit that my venison sauerbraten was better than his mothers. She made hers using a recipe she brought from Germany. I made mine from a buck I killed that was in full flight when I killed him with one shot at eighty yards. What's not to be proud of? He field dressed 63 pounds. My hunting buddies kid me to this day about it. I always mention what a small target he was, but it does no good. But of course they didn't get any sauerbraten, and potatoes, with gingersnap gravy, so maybe that's the real problem.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:29:22 PM »
Nice little buck, Pat.  He's a Monster compared to a 4-point black-tail a friend shot on Morsby Island (one of the Islands in the Queen Charlotte Islands) off the BC coast.  That little fella dressed out at 18 pounds, about what my little runt Springer Spaniel (30lbs. live) would have dressed out at.
Be happy with that BIG whitetail!  ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 10:40:16 PM »
There is an old saying around here that relates  to taking the smaller sized deer. 

I can't seem to remember what is was, but when old age creeps up on you, dragging a small carcass out of the woods sure beats the heck out of them big monster one's!

Younger meat is much more tender and delicious as well!

Pat, you bare a striking resemblance to that movie star..........Bruce Willis   :D   
Joel Hall

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »
Dont tell him that. His head might swell an he wont be able to get through the door of his cabin
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Smoketown

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 11:04:20 PM »
Nice little buck, Pat.  He's a Monster compared to a 4-point black-tail a friend shot on Morsby Island (one of the Islands in the Queen Charlotte Islands) off the BC coast.  That little fella dressed out at 18 pounds, about what my little runt Springer Spaniel (30lbs. live) would have dressed out at.
Be happy with that BIG whitetail!  ;)

I'll bet the Sioux know how to prepare Springer Spaniel.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »
Before I got down to Daryl's post, I too was reminiscing about those island deer I used to shoot.  There are no predators other than black bears and humans on Haida Gwaii (Formerly Queen Charlotte Islands) so the deer are plentiful but small.  I used to shoot several every week for our table. Once Daryl came to visit  and my wife roasted an entire back leg for our supper.  We ate the whole thing in one sitting.  Mighty fine grub!  That little white tail will be outstanding fare.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »
Just tell the hecklers " ANYBODY CAN HIT A BIG DEER IT TAKES A TRUE MARKSMAN TO HIT A LITTLE DEER!!

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »
Here are a few better pictures.
He forest photo is where I was set up.
The little buck came from the left hand side of the photo
and was in the creek bed.

AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 04:15:43 AM »
Very nice deer pat. I haven't had a chance to get in the woods. Maybe a chance Thursday morning. Best tasting venison I ever had was from young bucks. A few years ago I had no venison in the freezer and it was the very last minutes of daylight on the very last day and a nice fat doe came walking toward me. She disapeared down a little gully and I had decided when she reappeared I would take her for the table. In the failing light a deer soon apeared out of the gully and the .50 roared. When the smoke cleared I saw a white tail bounding away. I couldn't believe I had missed. When I looked again I saw legs sticking up in the air. When I got to the spot I found I hadn't missed, but the deer I shot was not the big fat doe, but a very small deer that had evidently come up the gully completely out of sight. Oh well, at least it is dark and no one will see me drag it out. So happens one of the cousins was hunting on the farm and heard me shoot and got nosey. He made fun of me of course, need any help dragging it out? I got an empty pocket, all those kind of remarks. It was very tasty as long as it lasted.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 07:53:40 PM »
You did just fine, Pat; I haven't even got a shot so far.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.