Author Topic: 3 Swivel Barrel cap and ball rifle by E. K. Purdy  (Read 5628 times)

JCBIII

3 Swivel Barrel cap and ball rifle by E. K. Purdy
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:15:04 AM »
I received this gun from my father.  Have been unable to find out much about it or it's value.
It says, E K Purdy, School Craft, MICH on the barrel.  Each barrel has it's own front and rear site.
Only one trigger and one Hammer. I think it is a 38 cal.  Does anyone have information.  Thank
you for anything you can contribute about this gun.
John B.

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

Re: 3 Swivel Barrel cap and ball rifle by E. K. Purdy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 03:06:16 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words..... so, pictures are worth..... showing us.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:08:42 AM »
James Kelly & Dorr Wiltse literally "wrote the book" on Michigan gunmakers. They have a nice write-up in their book on Elijah K. Purdy, including a photograph of his gunshop. I've seen a couple of his percussion over under guns in the past, but not a 3-barrel swivel. I too would love to see a picture of this gun

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 04:12:46 AM »
This is what I know of Purdy, in 3rd edition, "Michigan Gunsmiths . . ." by Dorr N. Wiltse, Jr and James Kelly  I have one photo of his shop, but no pix of his guns.

I would truly love to have good photos of your rifle, preferably on a plain background, for use in what might be my 4th & last edition, Deo volente.

Purdy, Elijah K.,  Village of Schoolcraft   1850, 1860 &1870 census
Kalamazoo County. O/U, .47 cal rifle and 10 gage shotgun, 32 ¼” barrels. German silver blade front, rear sight adjustable for elevation. Back action side locks, left hammer has “elephant trunk” nose to reach shotgun nipple. Brass trigger guard with finger rest, two steel triggers. Brass butt plate with iron rivet to brass toe plate. Walnut stock. Barrel marked EK PURDY SCHOOLCRAFT MICH. From the photo of his shop, it looks like Mr. Purdy dealt in a variety of sporting items.

In 1850 the census showed Elijah K. Purdy, 34, Gun Smith, and his wife Abiah 35, both born in New York. Their children were Edgar 7 and Gertrude, 6 months, both born in Michigan. His real estate valued at $1000. Another member of the household was Erastus Purdy, also a gunsmith, born in New York, $300 worth of real estate.

By the 1860 census for Kalamazoo County  Elijah K. Purdy was 44, Gunsmith and his wife Abiah 45—except now they are both listed as born in Ohio, not New York. As happened to many families at that time they appear to have lost Gertrude. Now there are two children Edgar K., 16 and Ella, 4, both born in Michigan. The value of his real estate                                                                                                                                     now $3000, personal estate $1300.

E.K. Purdy gun shop, photo courtesy E.L. Schuck, Schoolcraft

In the 1870 census E.K. Purdy, age 53 was still a gun smith, Real Estate value $3000, personal $1000. His wife Abiah is now listed differently, as Adalin age 44. Both are noted as born in New York, so it seems the 1860 census was incorrect about Ohio being his birthplace. By 1880 there is no more listing in Michigan for Elijah. His son,  Edgar K. Purdy, age 36, is a painter Painter living with his mother, her name now spelled "Abihal", age 63, in the Village of Schoolcraft.. Both Edgar's parents were born in New York.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 04:26:36 AM »
I would like to see photos, too. In my collection is a probably similar rifle by Claudius H Beach of Marshall, Michigan. It has three round “cast steel” swiveling barrels, a tang button swivel release, one ramrod, a walnut stock, no patch box or cheek rest, no flat toe between the back of the raised grip rail of the trigger guard and butt plate, but has a warm spot in my heart. I have seen other three barrel swivels from Michigan, but they are more unusual than the over/under swivels and fixed barrel rifles.

Your gun is certainly a good one to have, especially coming from your father. Do you know how he got it?

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
 Welcome to the ALR. Here is a link to a thread that will help you get your Pix loaded.

Tim C.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
Mr. Paton -

Here is lmost of what I know about Beach

Beach, Claudius H.,  Marshall 1844 - 18888,12, 18, 52, 53  East Bloomfield, NY 1840 - 1844         
Calhoun County Michigan. Gunsmith.  (Hawes' 1860 state gazetteer gives his initials as C.S.) Producer of percussion sporting rifles, located on Main street in Marshall. Died August 26, 188812. The 1860 census shows Claudius H. Beach 45, Gunsmith, with his wife Mary, 44 and eldest child Ellen, 19, all born in New York, now living in the City of Marshall. Their two younger daughters Hannah (spelling uncertain) 15 and Sarah, 13, were both born in Michigan. The value of his real estate was $3000, personal estate $1000. A young Apprentice, William Plum, 21 of Pennsylvania lived in the same household.

Gluckman and Satterlee say that Beach made hunting and target rifles, usually using Remington barrels and George Goulcher locks. He died August 26, 1888.

Claudius Beach was born June 19, 1815 in East Bloomfield, Ontario County, New York. He later apprenticed to a gunsmith.  Married Mary McKay October, 1830, and with her had three children. In 1840 they lived at 214 East Bloomfield, Ontario County, New York. In the 1880 census, Beach, now a widower, lived with a housekeeper Mary E. Dickey, 38, and her three sons Robert S., 19, Frank J., 16 and Charlie E., 12. They had a servant Carrie Waltz, 19, born in Michigan of German parents.
Beach was a gunsmith in the Marshall area as early as 1844. He is listed in the Michigan State Gazetteer and Business Directory of 1873.

Vol 14, 1889, pp 75-76 of the Michigan Pioneer & Historical Collections states that: “Claudius H. Beach died at his residence in Marshall, Sunday, August 26, 1888 at the age of 73 years. Mr. Beach was a native of Bloomfield, Ontario County, New York and first saw the light of day June 19, 1815.

“When of proper age he was apprenticed to a gunsmith and a proper calling it proved to be for him.

“Thinking to better his circumstances in life, he emigrated West in the year 1844, and settled down in Marshal, where he prosecuted his chosen profession with vigor. During the reign of hand-made firearms Mr. Beach’s produce was among those which bore national repute. He often made shipments as far west as the Pacific slope and was regarded as the gun manufacturer of Michigan.

“In his wife, whose maiden name was Mary McKay, and whom he took as life partner October 10, 1838, Mr. Beach was possessed of a model & loving helpmeet. Three children were the fruit of the union. It is a few months over 43 years since the Beach family took up their residence in the same house which is now made lonely by absence of the old and familiar form of its master, who seemed almost a part of the place.”

“The death of his wife occurred in 1878. Mr. Beach was not a member of any church organization, yet he possessed all the qualities of a loyal and conscientious Christian. He was blunt in manner and eccentric in ideas, but nevertheless a true friend & a man of sterling integrity.”

A three-barreled rifle similar to yours is in the Benton County Historical Museum & Society, Philomath, Oregon. The photos which I have of this rifle, are through the kindness of the BCHM.

If you have photos of your rifle I would very much like to use them in the next (hopefully) edition of Michigan Gunsmiths from the 18th to the early 20th Centuries

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:56:50 AM »
JCK,  I’ll be glad to photograph my Beach rifle and email you the images for publication. If you haven’t seen them within a few days, feel free to pull my chain!

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
My mistake entered the image of the bank gun in the wrong thread it  should have been the longest fowler
Feltwad

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
My mistake entered the image of the bank gun in the wrong thread it  should have been the longest fowler
Feltwad

I moved it over for you. TC

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »
Feltwad

I moved it over for you. TC

Thanks Tim
Feltwad

JCBIII

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 07:37:44 AM »
Thank you for your response to my question about my three swivel barrel gun.  Most all of you asked for pictures so I have enclosed 5.  I could do others for you if necessary.  Thanks again.
John B.

Photo 4 shows a rolled up paper in the barrel which my father had information about the gun on it, however very limited info.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:49:29 AM by JCBIII »