Author Topic: Maslin Warranted  (Read 4026 times)

Foma

Maslin Warranted
« on: November 22, 2016, 05:29:20 PM »
Friends -

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone new anything additional on this long rifle. I don't know much about it other than it was found in an attic. Thank you in advance.

Offline louieparker

Re: Maslin Warranted
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
I would guess this rifle to be about 40 years old. The lock is a Russ Hamm and was popular in that period.  LP

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:37:38 PM »
I would add that it is probably a Douglas barrel as they stamped the caliber and the rate of twist at the bore. Don't know if there were others that did that or not.

Foma

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 12:11:14 AM »
Thank you, sirs. So nothing rare or worth collecting?

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:28:49 AM »
Thats not saying its worthless.. It has some value, if only in the lock, triggers and barrel . All could be used to make a better looking rifle. Or someone might like it as it is ???? LP

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:30:15 AM »
It looks like the stock was made from two pieces of curly maple glued together.  The curls in front of the trigger guard do not match up on either side of the center line.
Certainly not worthless, just not made to todays standards for excellent workmanship.  In its day it was a fairly decent rifle.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
It looks like the stock was made from two pieces of curly maple glued together.  The curls in front of the trigger guard do not match up on either side of the center line.
Certainly not worthless, just not made to todays standards for excellent workmanship.  In its day it was a fairly decent rifle.
Pretty cool eh? You don't see that every day. There always seems to be a solution to every problem, even when your stock blank isn't wide enough! ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »
I have a rifle like that from the same time period, the craftsmanship is "different" to say the least but it has a Bill Large barrel, a Roller lock and will shoot through the same hole at 50 yards no matter what you feed into it. This rifle has put a pile of deer in the freezer for me.

The barrel on your rifle looks pristine, if I were you I would I would head to the range, see what it likes and shoot the devil out of it. It's value is in it's parts and how much enjoyment you get out of using it, the latter being the most important.

The folk here know their rifles and see everything that could have been done differently during it's build. Anybody else will think you have a work of art because they don't know the difference.