Author Topic: Recommendations for shooting muzzleloaders near Tampa, FL  (Read 4804 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Recommendations for shooting muzzleloaders near Tampa, FL
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:19:07 AM »
So in the course of funding a certain .40 caliber flintlock from a certain fellow forum member (who twisted my arm, grabbed me by the nose and essentially forced me to buy his beautiful Mike Davis-built SMR), I sold a mint Pedersoli Kentucky rifle to a gentleman just north of Tampa.

I had a chat with him about it, and as he is new to muzzleloading, I advised that there are usually clubs where people like us congregate to burn copious amounts of black powder for the sole purpose of sending small balls of lead through paper and such.

I found that there is the Florida Frontiersmen club located in the Tampa area (which looks like a top-notch club based on the website), but I was wondering if there are also other good options for a muzzleloader in that neck of the woods.

So, anyone familiar with the options, your advice would be welcomed, as I will forward it along to the buyer.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Recommendations for shooting muzzleloaders near Tampa, FL
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:33:26 PM »
Bones,

The Florida Frontiersmen http://www.floridafrontiersmen.com/ is a big club that puts on the Alafia River Rendezvous each January.  That brings several hundred participants and a good number of vendors.  They also have hosted the last several Florida State Shoots in April.  Their facilities are located East of Tampa and just south of Bartow, FL.  Depending where in the Tampa area this gentleman lives he may not be far away and be worth his while to check them out.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Goo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:13:28 AM »
The location map on the website was kinda fuzzy and therefore illegible ?    Would some one be kind enough to post a quick description of the location for this event?
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:38:21 PM »
Recommendations?  ..."aim small - miss small"!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
Late reply on this thread. Check with the Wyoming Antelope Club in Clearwater Florida. They used to have an  black powder match on the 4th Sunday of the month that I shot at for years before moving to north Florida. I know it was temporarily suspended while some work was being done at the range they used but if you give them a call someone should be able to tell you if they are back up. It is the only range that allows black powder shooting in the Tampa area. They are open to the public, if I recall, Wednesday through Sunday as well.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline J I

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:02:36 AM »
The location map on the website was kinda fuzzy and therefore illegible ?    Would some one be kind enough to post a quick description of the location for this event?

Goo
Here is a link with written directions for the Florida Frontiersmen's Homeland site. It also give the actual address so you can use your own GPS, or preferred map. I hope this helps.

http://www.floridafrontiersmen.com/index.php/how-to-find-us/

Jeremiah

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:32 AM »
What's the chance of someone having rifle parts for sale at the Alafia River Rendezvous ? IE stocks and barrels and such

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:03:39 AM »
What's the chance of someone having rifle parts for sale at the Alafia River Rendezvous ? IE stocks and barrels and such

I haven't been over there in 4 or 5 years, but since Tip Curtis quit going recently you may be out of luck for those kind of items.  I was told that Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders had been setting up there.  I don't know if they would have that kind of stuff or not.  But one way or another, if you're thinking of going you need to head over there pronto.  It's going on now and ends on Saturday.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:09:32 AM »
I understood it to be open to the public on Friday 20th and Sat 21 Is that correct?

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
I understood it to be open to the public on Friday 20th and Sat 21 Is that correct?

As I said, it's been a while since I quit going over there.  However, they always had school groups touring on Thursday, and were open to the general public on Fridays and Saturdays of the last weekend. 

The traditional, pre-1840 rendezvous essentially ran from Saturday through Wednesday and is a good event.  Some of the serious vendors, including Tip Curtis, packed up and left after Wednesday as did some of the participants like me.  Starting on Thursday it was less rendezvous and more carnival with loads of toy muskets and wooden tomahawks, dream catchers, polyester "coon skin" hats, etc. for sale everywhere.  It's a real shame they let that happen.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »
Thanks Mole Eyes, the events that I have been to in years past you were required to have period clothing to get in on the none public days. Guess I'll pass on the carnival.