Author Topic: Start of another Silver Mounted Horn  (Read 8735 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Start of another Silver Mounted Horn
« on: November 24, 2016, 12:24:28 AM »
I had another horn and a some silver sheet left from the last go around.  Waiting for the finish to dry on a stock.....started making the silver mounts for another horn......

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:19:22 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline FDR

Re: Start of another Silver Mounted Horn
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:00:25 AM »
That is going to be a real beauty!

Fred

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:37:26 AM »
Great stuff!!!!!!!! Always enjoy your threads!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
 A Beauty as it is but I have a feeling its going to get better. As always, Nice work Dave.

Tim

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
Great looking horn!
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »
That is tricked out!

Cory Joe Stewart

seesbirds

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:36:54 AM »
Just beautiful work Dave.  a real "Drool piece"

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 11:24:33 PM »
OK.....now I have several horns completed to this stage and I'm not sure what I want to do with them next as far as scrimshaw or no scrimshaw work.  Here is what the horns look like now:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:18:21 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 06:54:49 PM »
 Those are all Beauties as they are. I see you have done a little work on the Second one down. Your file work and engrailing is very well done, all of the work is for that matter.
 One thing that would bother me if you sold them as is, some would be carver may make an attempt at adding the scrimshaw.

Tim 

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 06:01:48 AM »
Wow! It must be nice to have talent. I think their fantastic the way they are. Looking forward to seeing what you call a finished horn. I truely admire your craftsmanship.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 03:07:44 AM »
I am with Tim.  YOU have the talent to add the scrim to these.  I think one needs some Nordic theme, as that fine silver work calls out "Viking" to me.  God Bless,   Marc

n stephenson

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »
Dave, If your having trouble figuring out what to do with them put them in a box and ship them to me!!! Once again AWESOME WORK !!!  Nathan

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »
Very beautiful work. If you are not sure your scrimshaw work is up to the level you have set with these horns to this point you might consider a collaboration with a well know scrimshaw artist. It appears that this is done all the time in the collectible knife and gun world. I think these horns are at that level. The other route would be to sell them as they are and let the buyer decide on the art work and who to do it.  Any way you do it they are impressive works of art.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »
  Dave to me they are fantastic the way they are!  Like the bottom one real well. Some horns call for scrimshaw as a finisher. These do not IMHO . Very nice!     Mike

Offline Jerry

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 03:17:20 AM »
Dave, Excellent work. Jerry

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
As lifting as it is to see such amazing talent and skill being put to use, it is also at the same time disheartening to know that my crude attempts will never come close to such amazing work.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline mab7

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 05:19:57 AM »
I can attest that pictures cannot do at least one of those horns justice of any kind.
I can also say that even though my intent was to scrimshaw it, I cannot bear the thought of getting anywhere near it with a graver or scribe of any kind.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 05:42:46 AM »
HT,

The horn looks great with your bag....and I forgot you bought the pick and whisk set from me as well.  Glad you like it.  They were all fun to make.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 05:50:59 AM »
Paddlefoot,

This was another silver mounted horn that I did decide to scrimshaw a while back.  I decided I will do these in a similar fashion...just different themes...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:17:46 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline mab7

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
Dave,

I am having Michael Davis build me a .54 caliber Virginia 'variation' of his CLA rifle for a tribute set dedicated to my 5th G-Grandfather, Ezekial Williams. The bag and horn are to go with the rifle. My original intent was to scrim the map of this expedition on the horn, minus the wording. Then one night I got really irritated at all the political BS going on and did the image with Patrick Henry's quote. My wife saw it and thought that a good resemblance would be appropriate as well. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am smart enough to know I was out of my league at the map...

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 12:51:30 AM »
Very refined........Bo
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 08:11:48 PM »
Dave, You have no worries. I suspected as much but we mere mortals all have moments where we hesitate to put pen to paper or tool to wood. Beautiful work sir.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
Dave you are just ridiculously talented. 

I like the horn you selected for the scrimmed one with the ship.  Once the spout was carved, it left a nice fat white horn to scrim on.  It made a nice canvas for your obvious skill and talent. 

Just super.   Marc