Author Topic: First Flintlock Deer  (Read 8461 times)

Tizzy

Re: First Flintlock Deer
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 11:54:28 PM »
Very true, I can't wait to take my kids into the woods! I know my father started me out at a young age...I'm hoping to take my oldest daughter into the woods next year..... not sure what the outcome will be however, she loves to talk...and has the wiggle worms. lol

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »
Congratulations on the first of many!!

~Tony

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »
I've found that introducing them to deer hunting gradually helps.  First show 'em some fun at the shooting range for their early years.  Then find some small game - there are lots of small game species that do not require stealth.  Rabbits for example, can be driven or shoo'ed out of brush piles.  Mourning doves and ducks you can sit and visit and only have to be quiet and still when the birds are in sight.  Grouse and many upland birds you can walk a few yards apart and visit.

If you've got private land and squirrels that have not been educated, they are fairly easy. 

It's the "sit down, be quiet, don't move" type of hunting (turkey and deer) that is not well suited for the squirmy little ones.  Especially if they are accustomed to the instant gratification of video games.